welp - our best OG is pursing his master's elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hate to wade into the CPJ waters here, because I was personally a supporter, but I had lunch a few days ago with someone worked closely with CPJ for several years, then left of his own accord. (You'd all recognize his name but I won't doxx him.) He felt that CPJ was a pretty brutal boss, actually – quite adversarial with the administration, his coaches, his players. Obviously he had a lot of loyalists, so this may just be a difference-of-personality thing or whatever. But sometimes snarky or curmudgeonly behavior can be fine at first then get really grating after a while.
It’s fine when you are winning games. However when you are getting your öööö pushed in regularly by teams like Duke and Minnesota it’s not so great.

Ok, I am over it. If he doesn't want to pass block as alluded to elsewhere, then he is not looking toward the NFL and clearly left to further his success post Football. It's good for him to have the grad degree from another place. Have a good grad year, kid.

I still can't believe we had a starting QB who just decided he'd rather play at an FCS school. That is royally f'd up.
If we’re being honest, he kinda fit in at the FCS talent level better.

I really hate to wade into the CPJ waters here, because I was personally a supporter, but I had lunch a few days ago with someone worked closely with CPJ for several years, then left of his own accord. (You'd all recognize his name but I won't doxx him.) He felt that CPJ was a pretty brutal boss, actually – quite adversarial with the administration, his coaches, his players. Obviously he had a lot of loyalists, so this may just be a difference-of-personality thing or whatever. But sometimes snarky or curmudgeonly behavior can be fine at first then get really grating after a while.

Tell Charles Kelly I said hello next time you have lunch together.

I dunno why Braun is transferring, if he is actually transferring. Mebbe football related. Mebbe something else. Wish him well, whatever he does next, and I thank him for the years he spent representing us.

He was voted a team captain in the workout stuff, so his teammates may not have known all along either.

Techbert,
hoping that KQ is FOS

If true, this is a big loss. No way to sugar coat it and it would be Collins first big stumble IMO.

His decision makes sense if he already has another team lined up to take him and they're going to hand him a Masters Degree that's easier to get than a Tech one, and that team he's lined up with has a good pro rep.

Maybe he ends up at Bama? Who knows.

He's got a tremendous resume on the open market.

If true, this is a big loss. No way to sugar coat it and it would be Collins first big stumble IMO.

I dunno if that's fair. Now that the emotion is wearing off, the more I think about it, grad transfers are kind of becoming the norm. Doubt there is much Collins could do. Braun put in his work and is now going to position himself for his future. It's just that he's the one I really wouldn't want to lose.

I dunno if that's fair. Now that the emotion is wearing off, the more I think about it, grad transfers are kind of becoming the norm. Doubt there is much Collins could do. Braun put in his work and is now going to position himself for his future. It's just that he's the one I really wouldn't want to lose.

IMO if you can’t retain your best player his senior year it’s a stumble. Now maybe there are more details that will clarify the situation but you just can’t lose that type of talent.

Not sure if it's a stumble since we don't know (or at least i don't) why he decided to leave. Maybe he just doesn't want to go through a transition in his final year...maybe he thinks it hurts his chances at the NFL. Or if he graduated he may not have been able to get in the grad program he wanted. Or he may have just decided if he's going to start over with a new staff he might as well do it elsewhere for a change of scenary/pace. Either way, he was going to have a learning curve just like the rest of the team so no real idea how his season would go. I think he would have been fine but who knows. Where he ends up will tell us a lot i think.

Not sure if it's a stumble since we don't know (or at least i don't) why he decided to leave. Maybe he just doesn't want to go through a transition in his final year...maybe he thinks it hurts his chances at the NFL. Or if he graduated he may not have been able to get in the grad program he wanted. Or he may have just decided if he's going to start over with a new staff he might as well do it elsewhere for a change of scenary/pace. Either way, he was going to have a learning curve just like the rest of the team so no real idea how his season would go. I think he would have been fine but who knows. Where he ends up will tell us a lot i think.

My first words were “if true”. Collins is responsible for selling the program and how it could help Parker. You have to be able to close that deal. Maybe more info clarifies but if true I’m leaning toward a stumble.

Well this sucks. I, like everyone else, would like to understand why. I appreciate his service. He was really good as a 3-O guard. Next season is coming with or without him, so I’m going to keep getting hyped about that.

Well this sucks. I, like everyone else, would like to understand why. I appreciate his service. He was really good as a 3-O guard. Next season is coming with or without him, so I’m going to keep getting hyped about that.
He and his family seemed to really love CPJ. Here’s hoping he goes to Florida and wins the SEC. I think Key would have helped him a lot but perhaps a change of scenery was best for him.

please stop bashing CPJ. We get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back