Wes Durham...

law_bee:

I'm back...I guess to defend myself...again.

Which part of the interview with Mark Packer on SiriusXM didn't you like?

The part where I said that Tech has only won the game 12 times since 1968.

Or maybe it was the part where I said that regardless of the season Georgia Tech has had, some fans only judge success of a season on whether or not Tech beats Georgia.

I loved my 18-years with Georgia Tech, and the relationships from it that will last forever. Whether I was a "homer" or not, I tried to do a job that would make all Tech fans proud of their tremendous radio history, which includes great men like Al Ciraldo, Brad Nessler, Kim King and others. Hopefully I was successful...but if I wasn't enough of a "homer" for you, then I guess I'll have to get over that at some point in my career.

Have a good Turkey Day...good luck in Athens and the next week in Charlotte. Maybe I'll see you there. Would like to have this discussion in-person one day.

tfB83yT.jpg

to quote my beautiful wife...

"Whatever. Shut up. You're stupid."

Wes is the best. Not gushy and unprofessional like the hacks they have working the UGAy games...

If you have any doubts, just listen to the UGA broadcasts to see how much better out broadcast team is.

This. Their broadcast is horrible... In many situations, unlistenable to the point that they are missing down and distance or if a pass was completed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wes was better than Al. And I thought Al was great. Hated to Wes go. Brandon really has done well. We've been lucky to have a GREAT run of announcers for along time. Didn't know the guy before Coraldo but heard he was good too.

I liked Wes Durham well enough, but there will never be another Al Ciraldo.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/multimedia/downloads.html

Loved Mr. C growing up - went to school with his children - and he was a one of a kind.

But Wes is the best there ever was - no contest.

I played golf with a former UGa A-A football player at least 4 times / month before he retired and moved away. He gladly said he would always listen to Wes instead of numb nuts munson whenever we played.

Always throws me for a loop when Wes posts. I love our current guys but Wes is for me what Al Ciraldo was to the guys older than me - he'll always be the voice of Georgia Tech. Definitely makes me a little sad when I hear him calling Falcons games, but I'm happy that he's moved up.

Thanks for everything Wes.

I just came to add my name to the list of supporters of Wes. I'm a true fan of the way he represented the Institute. Hated to see him move on, but that was for selfish reasons. Wish him all the best.

Last edited:
Wes is the best commentator in the business, without a doubt. I'll watch Wake VT if Wes is calling it. Wes' comments at the end of the '08 game were really neutral too.

Do you want someone like the clowns calling UGA games on radio? We we us we us we we we.

Can't we just say that we've been fortunate across the board when it comes to 'team voices'? Ciraldo was a legend, Wes is not far behind and Gaudin is doing a fine job with those huge shoes he has to fill.

And does lawbee have the freaking Wes Durham bat signal or what?

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Nobody gives a öööö about radio. Wes is cool though. I like Step more. #godbless

I love it when ST goes all softie... So Wes isn't going to get a Big Cry from some smart ass? Come on, STers, you know you want to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes was terrific. I loved Al, but Wes was a great professional and as loyal as anyone could expect to Georgia Tech.

This. Their broadcast is horrible... In many situations, unlistenable to the point that they are missing down and distance or if a pass was completed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You ever try to sit through a Georgia Southern radio broadcast? And some people actually wanted Blair to succeed Wes. Harvin, the color guy, is as good a dude as there is. One of my favorite people in the world.

I've heard Southern's radio crew got displaced this year because they needed their booth for the officials' video replay. So they're broadcasting from the roof at Allen E. Paulson Stadium. In the jet stream from the the stadium named after the guy who made his $$$ from Gulfstream.

We were lucky to get Wes (and his dad is legend in North Carolina). And I'm starting to really like Brandon and very happy with how good Roddy is on the air. PJ takes shots at Brandon during the Monday show I don't think he'd ever take at Wes, though it's clear he gets along famously with both.

Always throws me for a loop when Wes posts. I love our current guys but Wes is for me what Al Ciraldo was to the guys older than me - he'll always be the voice of Georgia Tech. Definitely makes me a little sad when I hear him calling Falcons games, but I'm happy that he's moved up.

Thanks for everything Wes.

This.

Was that the real Wes Durham? Does anyone actually know? From what I know about the guy, I think he'd definitely read ST. But I don't know if he would come out and defend himself every time. Maybe he would though! That would be really cool, not gonna lie

Back