We've been here before; Again, Part 2

33jacket

Dodd-Like
Lost to UGA again right?

Student section a joke right?

Fans full of red and a joke right?

You guys ever look and wonder whats happened of the past decade to make our record one of the worst stints, if not the worst in the history of the rival?

Here are the facts

- in 2002, flunkgate happened. The admin ratcheted back what type of athlete Tech could accept. We still accept players well below the tech standard, but well above what we did in the 90s. Result. 1-9.

- No coach, no system, can compete with UGA with our standards today. Is PJ perfect, no, is he not doing as good as he could in some areas, yes, but the fact is our standards today are so high out of fear, APR reqs, and elitism we are doomed.

- Oleary got in thugs. I roomed next to em. They were UGA types. They smoked pot in their dorms. Two are in jail now and felons. One was on crack. A famous player had more prostitutes than heidi fleiss. But....

- We won 3 straight. We competed. UGA also had talent, but was not as well coached.

- Then 11 failed out, Oleary guys but after he left.

- We remember the 3 straight, we don't really remember the failed out.

- Your degree, wasn't lessoned during oleary's era, pre failouts or post failouts. Note to you, if you think that GT is clean you are a fail. We changed in the past 10 years. We ratcheted down the program. We need to go back to the older days. We don't need thugs. I am not saying that. We can recruit good kids to compete. Reference 2007. But we need a total school commitment to do it. Today it is not there.

- We already let below avg standards in, why not go the whole way and let kids in to compete? You can't be gray in this world. Be black or white but stuck in the middle pretending to be a football school, and pretending to be an academic school does nothing. Either have a serious program and feed it, or don't, but don't act like you do.

- Because they need to stay in school say you? Ha says I. We give them the ööööing tests. I know. I am good friends with the head of the academic advisors. Its not an issue. In 2007 Chan told the admin he can't compete. We got 12 exceptions. One was Nesbitt. He stayed 4 years. No problem with keeping Bebe in. Its a hoggwash excuse. We can keep these kids in school.

- Does tech want to fix this? Do we want to make it a rival again? We have to let in a Notch above NCAA requirements. We can compete. We have. We have scaled back. We already let kids in who couldn't get in on their own, so I don't want to hear it devalues this or that. It doesn't. We already do it. We can find a bunch of good kids to compete, below today's line, but still able to make it through.

At what point, after a decade of being inept, will folks stand up and demand some change? Another 10 years?

the fact is the fail of tech for the last decade is a systemic failure of leadership, conservatism, elitism, and a faction of voices that is convinced we can be MIT Mond-Frid and VT on saturday. We can't. If we truly want to fix this, we have to have systemic program changes, allow more 'exceptions' to compete, and move fwd. I am not talking about creating fake degrees. I am talking about letting in what we did in 2007 more often, or going back to the 1990's standards, and ensuring they get the support and rigor to get through school. Its really simple folks, simple to fix. However, as dismayed as I am about today, I am more frustrated that we will continue to pretend, stuck in the gray area, and 10 more years will go by where we win 1. Maybe 2. Lets hope soon, enough is enough and the school commits to fielding a more competitive team through allowing recruits that today would be below the line, yet still above NCAA mins.

Answer is same as before: no thanks.

I hate you for pointing out the obvious 33Jacket! In case no one has ever met him before, he has a striking resemblance to Owen Wilson:
owen_wilson1_300_400.jpg

I swear to god if someone mentions that our elitism is the problem, i will club a baby seal.

So you're saying you want criminals on our team? Good...

Absolutely agree. I was seriously shocked today at how their players just completely owned ours. There was not a position on the field that I thought could start for UGA.

The fix starts with the hill.

great logic, let's use it more:

We already tell white lies, why not just go slander someone?

You do one, why not do the other! Or maybe it's not black and white, but it's on a scale.

So you're saying you want criminals on our team? Good...

never said that. I am merely pointing out those holier than nows in this tech world that think we have a bunch of great SA's is full of öööö, and that historically we let in kids we all would rather not be part of this program. Yet our degrees are still great.

My point is rather explained and simple, that we need systemic changes if we really want to improve results on the field, and I am not talking fake degrees, just a loosening of the ropes back to the 90's standards.

I swear to god if someone mentions that our elitism is the problem, i will club a baby seal.

Our elitism combined with the fact that Vandy has beaten UGA more in the past 10 years than we have is the reason today's game was a home game for UGA.

33: You make very valid points, but I agree with andrew that this is not the best direction for the Institute.

Why can we not add some majors like "technical education", "communications", and "sports management"? By just adding a few more degree programs, and keep them elite as compared to similar programs other places, we could get a few more guys, and that is all we need to compete with a CPJ, IMO.

Owen Wilson stuff aside, he is 1 million percent correct. This part especially:

We remember the 3 straight, we don't really remember the failed out.... Your degree, wasn't lessoned during oleary's era, pre failouts or post failouts.

We don't need exceptions necessarily but I would like to see some diverse degrees added to our arsenal. That does nothing to take away from our academic prestige. Ask Stanford.

I think I am going to take the money I have been spending on football and spend it on contributions to the Tech fund to get better basketball seats in the new arena. That is a sport where we can compete with all but a few programs year-in and year-out.

I'm going to take the time I've been spending on football and make my yard look better.

We don't need exceptions necessarily but I would like to see some diverse degrees added to our arsenal. That does nothing to take away from our academic prestige. Ask Stanford.

but if the board of regents resists this, which they have in the past, our only solution WE can control is allowing in the SA's per the standard of 2007 and 1997.

This is my point.

A former GT player said today that playing football at GT is like holding down two full time jobs, one on the field and one in the classroom. He went on to say that kids today don't want to work one, they just want the payday.

After meeting you today, I would pay good money to see that. It would be like watching Mary Poppins beat a kitty with an umbrella.

but if the board of regents resists this, which they have in the past, our only solution WE can control is allowing in the SA's per the standard of 2007 and 1997.

This is my point.

The Board of Regents is run by a GT grad now. Look it up.

A former GT player said today that playing football at GT is like holding down two full time jobs, one on the field and one in the classroom. He went on to say that kids today don't want to work one, they just want the payday.

You know looking back at it, I don't think I have had a job since graduating Tech that was consistently as stressful and time-consuming as my time just trying to survive Tech. If my dream was to play NFL football, I'm not sure I would pick Tech either, and I love my school.

I still remember a few years back when we make one of those top 10 lists for universities...No, it was not top 10 party schools or top ten beautiful campuses or the like, it was to 10 schools where students are the most miserable. This is true.....I think it was the Princeton review list.

I fail to see what pushing some great player through some already existing major with every damn string pulled we legally can and every damn effort we can do for academic support would hurt anything. It can't possibly hurt. Don't break any damn rules and go hire a big time legal weasel to make sure we don't.
This is what the academic snob programs do - the ones that win anyway.
More exceptions for kids that want to play. How hard is it to keep a plaayer eligible and on a degree track in a program like HS&T? For crying out loud 33 has a host of valid points there!
We're engineers who know "the perfect is the enemy of the good."

Back