We've been here before; Again, Part 2

"Jack of all trades, master at none"

I don't think Tech is anywhere near that though. UGA is not near us in regards of academic relevance, and we've actually be improving (27th in the world last year to 24th this year). I think it's been apparent over the past few decades that we've decided to head towards the academics side rather than football, which I'm perfectly fine with because that's where my priorities are now. We still can have good teams (1990 and 2009 for example), so it's not the end of the world.

1998 10 wins beat Uga won gator. Trumps 2009 by a fair margin

Having not attended GA Tech, I can't offer much of an opinion. I graduated from Southern Tech. I have always respected and bragged about the caliber of student athletes that attend Tech over other schools. I am sure there is some middle ground that can be found to help the program. My questions is how does VA Tech do it? They have won ten or more games 8 years consecutive. What do they do differently that allows them to excell each year?

One they have a huge student body. Two, they aren't as specialized as GT. Three, they can't even smell us when it comes to academics. Bad comparison.

One they have a huge student body. Two, they aren't as specialized as GT. Three, they can't even smell us when it comes to academics. Bad comparison.

Wrong, having visited Stanford many times I can vouch for the fact of their academic excellence. Also Palo Alto is a beautiful place for a campus. Don't care for the stadium much as BDS is nicer but Stanford is an excellent academic University.

Wrong, having visited Stanford many times I can vouch for the fact of their academic excellence. Also Palo Alto is a beautiful place for a campus. Don't care for the stadium much as BDS is nicer but Stanford is an excellent academic University.

He was talking about VT, not Stanford

Stanford is an excellent university and their football program has been worse than ours over the past decade other than the past two years.

We don't need exceptions necessarily but I would like to see some diverse degrees added to our arsenal. That does nothing to take away from our academic prestige.

Agree. Why not have the best Sports Management degree in the United States and perhaps the world?

IE is not the hardest engineering school on campus, but it still brings prestige to Georgia Tech by being the number one IE school in the world. We could conceivably have the same kind of thing through sports management, sports marketing, sports medicine, even sports broadcasting. There is definitely a lucrative market for sports related endeavors. A very large and strong market. Every baseball manager, sportscaster, coach, athletic director, etc., ought to have a top rated Georgia Tech sports degree, IMHO.

Agree. Why not have the best Sports Management degree in the United States and perhaps the world?

IE is not the hardest engineering school on campus, but it still brings prestige to Georgia Tech by being the number one IE school in the world. We could conceivably have the same kind of thing through sports management, sports marketing, sports medicine, even sports broadcasting. There is definitely a lucrative market for sports related endeavors. A very large and strong market. Every baseball manager, sportscaster, coach, athletic director, etc., ought to have a top rated Georgia Tech sports degree, IMHO.

If the program was truly the best in the world then that wouldn't help football, because football players would still not be able to get admitted/stay in it. If you want to create majors for the purpose of attracting and keeping in top recruits then you want them to be POOR programs.

Also, according to gtphd, all programs have to require calculus because we are an institute, so you'll still have a problem.

If the program was truly the best in the world then that wouldn't help football, because football players would still not be able to get admitted/stay in it. If you want to create majors for the purpose of attracting and keeping in top recruits then you want them to be POOR programs.

Also, according to gtphd, all programs have to require calculus because we are an institute, so you'll still have a problem.

All of this is TIC, I'm quite sure. Even taking it a little bit serious, however, there are plenty of very good student athletes who can read and write. Atlanta, GA is a very attractive venue for them to improve their skills before they go on to a full lifetime of sports-related endeavors.

Take your meds oldfoggy. We're talking about Virginia Tech in comparison to GT. Were not talking about Stanford. :rolleyes:

I agree with a lot of the posters in this thread. I'm so ööööing tired of being forced to fight with one hand behind our back and a dislocated shoulder on the other arm. It's a fixed fight. Every. ööööing. Year. And it's only going to get worse.

I thought I had successfully divested myself of emotional attachment to this game after the heart-breakers the past two years. And then a husband and wife pair came down into the student section during the fourth quarter to taunt everybody around us. Who ööööing does that?! And then I even have to take öööö from all the people in church today who know I'm a tech student and buzz. Screw them all. I'm tired of the fixed fight. If we can't play on a level playing field, I'm all for dropping this series today.

After meeting you today, I would pay good money to see that. It would be like watching Mary Poppins beat a kitty with an umbrella.

Even though I know i shouldn't have... i couldn't help but break into a grin with that one.

Sorry, not buying the doom and gloom and "it will never work" refrain.

For all the advantages UGA had, if TW has a better day (average day) throwing the ball then the game would have been tight. (If Murray had a day like he had against UK then the game might have been tight anyway.) The TO was for turnover against UGA and our D is not stout enough to do more than get a few stops. We needed the O to take advantage or every possession and they demoralized the D with rapid turnovers after stops.

Once we were well behind then all bets were off as the lead escalated.

Now, maybe we end up losing a tight game even if TW has a perfect day, but I am not ready to throw in the towel and start declaring wholesale changes must be made.

I do think that our main rivals have put more of a focus on us than we have on them the past couple of years. And that bugs me more than anything.

Back