We've been here before; Again, Part 2

33: You make very valid points, but I agree with andrew that this is not the best direction for the Institute.

Why can we not add some majors like "technical education", "communications", and "sports management"? By just adding a few more degree programs, and keep them elite as compared to similar programs other places, we could get a few more guys, and that is all we need to compete with a CPJ, IMO.
Now you are talking and you certainly see the BIG PIC.Good post.

You also,sadly,factor in 2 facts.The academic faculty people in power positions do NOT really want to make changes so Tech compete in sports,and remember too---AND IT PAINS ME--- to say this,the BOR is VERY restrictive in what they will,or will not let GT do.

give them an ultimatum, more majors or we drop the series with the fleabags

I don't act like that. I act like it is hard to convince most of these young guys to come to tech where they will have to work harder to succeed in the classroom as well as deal with the ratio and a lack of academic program variety.
Damn right can you imagine a tech recurit who is with his parents in the kitchen and likes Atlanta and then...........the recruiter leaves and a different recruiter comes in and puts a claulus book on the table and tells the guy and his family he will have to take that course while at tech ! Wonder who will get the candy now.I am sorry misspelled calulus.

33, I agree with you 100%. I also think we should drop the UGA game. If Tech nation wants us to be MIT all the time, so be it. But lets be smart about things otherwise. As a minimum the game should be moved to the front of the season and/or played irregularly. Fans aren't going to come anymore watching us play with our hands tied.

We are Duke with a gimmick right now. That's okay, but we're getting it handed to us across the board. Our snottiness is turning into ignorance about matters. UGA makes $50M a year over us! That will destroy us long term. We need the money to compete, particularly now that UGA can use their money to create whatever major they want.

Kids have made no bones about being treated poorly by the SEC football programs. We should stop being so friggin "nice" already. The kids don't care if you overbook, or run off the junk.

I have watched our kickoff teams this year and there are two guys that haven't touched a player yet. Run them off. Overbook. Bring in whatever the NCAA allows. Politic the progress to degree rules to make them more fair to us and other tough schools. Etc, etc, etc.

I didn't even watch the game today. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of the unfairness of the state. But I'm really sick that the great Tech minds are so snooty and ignorant to matters at hand.
Drop the UGAG game with the conference expansion, either drop it or find a way to win 50 percent of the time.

Drop the UGAG game with the conference expansion, either drop it or find a way to win 50 percent of the time.

Every decision that is made should be in the best interest of the Georgia Tech community. Continuing things as is, is not in the best interest. Therefore, let's use every angle to improve our situation. We are fooling ourselves if we think we are playing big boy football.

I would not be surprised if this game is dropped when both teams go to nine game conference schedules (if that happens.) It will be a damn shame though, in my opinion.

And lol at "giv[ing] them an ultimatum." Why would they care if we drop the series? They've beaten us nine out of the past ten times and now when we say "you'd better help us be more competitive or we'll stop playing you!" they're going to get scared and give us what we want?

I would not be surprised if this game is dropped when both teams go to nine game conference schedules (if that happens.) It will be a damn shame though, in my opinion.

And lol at "giv[ing] them an ultimatum." Why would they care if we drop the series? They've beaten us nine out of the past ten times and now when we say "you'd better help us be more competitive or we'll stop playing you!" they're going to get scared and give us what we want?

Good, then everyone wins. We can schedule a team we can consistently schedule an OOC opponent who we can compete with. I am sure we can dominate Air Force, or Utah, or Fresno State. oops! :biggthumpup:

Good, then everyone wins. We can schedule a team we can consistently schedule an OOC opponent who we can compete with. I am sure we can dominate Air Force, or Utah, or Fresno State. oops! :biggthumpup:

:laugher:

Well, maybe I'm an exception, but I'm not upset that we played U[sic]GA over the past ten years even though we went 1-9. It's a good tradition that I always look forward to and the vast majority of the games have been close -- it's not like we have been getting blown out every year.

:laugher:

Well, maybe I'm an exception, but I'm not upset that we played U[sic]GA over the past ten years even though we went 1-9. It's a good tradition that I always look forward to and the vast majority of the games have been close -- it's not like we have been getting blown out every year.

I am not either. I just want us to work on levelling the playing field with SA's, within the constraints we had in the past.

I am not either. I just want us to work on levelling the playing field with SA's, within the constraints we had in the past.

+1,000, never thought we would win unless they had 4-5 TO's. That is how uneven the matchup was and will continue to be unless something changes.

Its no coincidence that VT and FSU (will be soon) are the dominant programs in the ACC.

They are ranked 10th and tied for last respectively among ACC schools in US News & World Report rankings

Guys like Kenny Anderson, Stephon Marbury, and Reuben Houston are good examples as to why that bites you in the ass. .

Completely disagree on Reuben Houston. I had classes with him. Showed up every time, paid attention, asked and answered questions in class. Other fball players that graduated were also in the class and either Houston cared more or was smarter than them or both.

Maybe he was just book smart and not street smart, but he was not dumb.

They are ranked 10th and tied for last respectively among ACC schools in US News & World Report rankings

Virginia Poly isn't last in the ACC in USNews Rankings. They're #71, while Florida State and NC State tie for #101 and are both last.

Poor NC State. Poor academics and athletics.

Could you elaborate on Peterson's plan? Very curious here.

It's been a year since I spoke to him about it, but the plan was to expand International Affairs (double it in size) to become the dominant school in digital and technology policy.

That's because we have a mental block when it comes to UGA. Look how many close games we have had since 2000 (within a TD). With the exception of a couple years, every game has been close and we have only won once. I think you can squarely place that on the player's heads.

UGA has the same sort of thing going with UF. Even when UGA was really good (2002 I think?), UF had Zook and still beat them because UF is in their heads. Same goes for UGA and us. And it blows.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this...we have had too many close games over the past 6 or 7 years that have gone their way, and I think this has killed us. Just damn.

It's been a year since I spoke to him about it, but the plan was to expand International Affairs (double it in size) to become the dominant school in digital and technology policy.

Is this something that requires BOR approval?

Also, what do you think Petersen's attitude towards athletics is? I was hopeful since he is a former player that he gets it and would help us with the paranoia that the Hill has towards admitting kids. I remember Darryl Smith would not have been admitted under Clough's standards, but the young man worked hard and ended up on the dean's list.

Also School of Public Policy.

Back