What a mess in recruiting. Bad karma

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Dunlap says he didn't commit, Hall says he hasn't committed, Parker taking more visits & our 1/10/02 recruiting weekend has fallen apart. This is awful.
Crushing that The Insiders list of nearly 300 recruits in the 5 star & 4 star database & only ONE is a GT commit! Nearly every single major team has a commit from Insiders top 300. Heck, a few schools have nearly their whole team on this list. GT's 1st commit, after Grant, is on page 9 with 3 star Reggie Ball.
4 outta 14 commits (MAYBE) are from Georgia, which could be our lowest % of Ga players in---well, ever. Shocking! Battle commits to NW, Choice setting up visit to ND. What is the matter with us?????
I've got a very bad feeling. Here is the link to Insiders if U wish to breeze thru the 4 & 5 star recruits GT doesn't have & every one else has.

Insiders"]http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=4&refid=200>GT's]Insiders list of recruits, starting with 5 stars[/url]

GT ACE: Fill me in about what has went wrong this weekend. Also a question: If signing day arrives and recruiting results are poor, what then? How long can the men in charge allow the program fall? The longer this goes on the harder it will be to recover.

GT ACE: Fill me in about what has went wrong this weekend. Also a question: If signing day arrives and recruiting results are poor, what then? How long can the men in charge allow the program fall? The longer this goes on the harder it will be to recover.

A month ago it was setting up as our big Jan weekend. As guys committed elsewhere, they cancelled visits here or as they rearranged trips, they fell off this weekend. We wound up bringing in 7 recruits, 4 of which have already committed to us (this is their official visit to GT & we want to reaffirm). The 3 non-committeds were not on any of our lists a month ago, & people are scrambling just to find 2 of them in any recruiting databases.
2 commits, Parker & Roberson, are still taking other visits. Another commit, Dunlap, says publically he didn't commit. A recruit MasterB says is almost for sure a silent, Hall, says publically he is not committed.
With 13 known commitments, not counting Dunlap, we could take as many as 13 more, if we get the right guys. It appears we are having a hard time getting visits & commitments. Only 3 more weekends before signing day. Only a few of the commits we have were really recruited hard by many. This is a true restocking yr.
Heck, it may all work out. Right now it looks to be sputterring.
Gailey gets next season for sure. If the overall record falls worse, I just don't know. Many, many fans are like u & I, jittery. If Gailey wins 8 next yr, everyone will be hopeful of improvement. If he wins 6 or less the disapproval will be very loud & Braine will be under pressure to pull the trigger.

ACE: Thamks for the recuiting update. It don't look good for us. What happen to all that momentum we was suppose to have built up in December when it came to recruiting?

Originally posted by GT Ace:
A month ago it was setting up as our big Jan weekend. As guys committed elsewhere, they cancelled visits here or as they rearranged trips, they fell off this weekend. We wound up bringing in 7 recruits, 4 of which have already committed to us (this is their official visit to GT & we want to reaffirm). The 3 non-committeds were not on any of our lists a month ago, & people are scrambling just to find 2 of them in any recruiting databases.
2 commits, Parker & Roberson, are still taking other visits. Another commit, Dunlap, says publically he didn't commit. A recruit MasterB says is almost for sure a silent, Hall, says publically he is not committed.
With 13 known commitments, not counting Dunlap, we could take as many as 13 more, if we get the right guys. It appears we are having a hard time getting visits & commitments. Only 3 more weekends before signing day. Only a few of the commits we have were really recruited hard by many. This is a true restocking yr.
Heck, it may all work out. Right now it looks to be sputterring.
Gailey gets next season for sure. If the overall record falls worse, I just don't know. Many, many fans are like u & I, jittery. If Gailey wins 8 next yr, everyone will be hopeful of improvement. If he wins 6 or less the disapproval will be very loud & Braine will be under pressure to pull the trigger.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I fully expected a bad recruiting year. Gailey's national approach doesn't make sense when you are not a high profile program (and we aren't right now). The eggheads are squeezing the number of kids that we can recruit. Gailey didn't retain any of our proven recruiters from the previous staff. Sadly, I am hoping for the best but expecting the worse.

Guys, it's pretty obvious what is going on with recruiting at this point.

If you subscribe to the web services, *all* of them say the same thing right now "we are hearing that GT is about full".

The only "problem" is that no one knows who we are full with (or is it of
wink.gif
) - I say "problem" in quotes, because I don't like it, you don't like it, but it is not an actual problem unless the staff has blown it (possible)with this philosophy of stealth "don't publicly commit" policy - one that GO and staff did not employ.

Do I have concerns about the philosophy - heck, yeah, only because we haven't done that in the recent past - doesn't mean we can't be successful, but we have no history with it.

I'm not worried about Dunlap (only said he wasn't committed to GT because he wanted to go to Chicago, and NW said "if you are commited, your not taking an offer"), Hall, or any of the other silents.

I am curious as to who the final 6-7 will be, and I find it odd that we seem to take anyone from Texas, while we have dropped guys like Graydon. But I'm not a talent evaluator. Just a fan.

With regards to CCG not keeping any good recruiters, I, like most, was hoping he might keep Kelly, but that did not happen. He tried to keep Roof, but Ted left (and for reasons I think are justifiable). Recall that BOB was our RC, and probably 2nd best recruiter behind Marrone in the last 10 years. Spencer is getting good reviews.

One thing I am positive on is our close rate - if we get a kid on campus, we have a very good chance of landing him - if you read the more highly ranked kids comments, they speak volumes. Even the ones that don't commit, like Danahy, say things like "I thought I had my mind all made up until I went on the trip".

TIAR,B .. don't you realize that this thread is for the "sky is falling" gang to feast on?

don't talk to these people with rhyme or reason cause they don't want that.

they are the "sky is falling gang" .. they expect the sky to fall on their heads and crouch and close their eyes while shouting the following ..

"the sky is falling"
"the SKY is falling"
"the SKY is FALLING"
"THE SKY IS FALLING"

every once in a while the sky does "fall" and then they thump their chests and say .. look .. we were shouting that the sky is falling and it fell.

every once in a while the sky doesn't fall and the peek up and they are pleasantly surprised .. "what do you know", they say, "the darn sky didn't fall, Hallelujah!"

most of the time though .. the sky is just "there", going nowhere .. but there's always room to debate whether it's falling or whether it can fall or whether it will fall

Agree with the above sentiments.

We will recruit well at TECH because we have the juice.

CCG is not an unthinking, unfeeling automoton that "just doesn't get it." He gets it.

If some of the other programs "steal" some of our prospects then they may be throwing more graft around and we don't want to go there.

It's an uphill climb to out recruit everybody in your state, D1, etc., in your first year in the league.

Accentuate the positive. You'll feel better.

even if you think recruiting is not going well its pretty irresponsible to get on here now and start whining. If the potential recruits don't visit this site themselves, the opposition is clearly astute enough to print posts like this out and hand it to recruits to convince them that "the sky is falling at GT"...

lets be upbeat thru signing day... it may actually make a difference to a recruit... and the whining is not going to do a bit of good at this point...

like radio silence during reentry period...

Originally posted by TIAR,B:
Guys, it's pretty obvious what is going on with recruiting at this point.

If you subscribe to the web services, *all* of them say the same thing right now "we are hearing that GT is about full".

The only "problem" is that no one knows who we are full with (or is it of
wink.gif
) - I say "problem" in quotes, because I don't like it, you don't like it, but it is not an actual problem unless the staff has blown it (possible)with this philosophy of stealth "don't publicly commit" policy - one that GO and staff did not employ.

Do I have concerns about the philosophy - heck, yeah, only because we haven't done that in the recent past - doesn't mean we can't be successful, but we have no history with it.

I'm not worried about Dunlap (only said he wasn't committed to GT because he wanted to go to Chicago, and NW said "if you are commited, your not taking an offer"), Hall, or any of the other silents.

I am curious as to who the final 6-7 will be, and I find it odd that we seem to take anyone from Texas, while we have dropped guys like Graydon. But I'm not a talent evaluator. Just a fan.

With regards to CCG not keeping any good recruiters, I, like most, was hoping he might keep Kelly, but that did not happen. He tried to keep Roof, but Ted left (and for reasons I think are justifiable). Recall that BOB was our RC, and probably 2nd best recruiter behind Marrone in the last 10 years. Spencer is getting good reviews.

One thing I am positive on is our close rate - if we get a kid on campus, we have a very good chance of landing him - if you read the more highly ranked kids comments, they speak volumes. Even the ones that don't commit, like Danahy, say things like "I thought I had my mind all made up until I went on the trip".
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Excellent post, TIAR, B.

I think we should have a StingTalk (and Hive) screening of "Who Stole my Cheese".

Folks, a few posters will tell u the way it is, NOW. Doesn't mean it can't change. Doesn't mean 'blue sky', doesn't mean 'sky is falling', is not rejoicing, is not whining. It's simply the way it is NOW.
GT finished '02 tied for 5th in ACC. Every single person that knows anything intelligent about recruiting ranked GT 7th, 8th in ACC recruits last season. Any intelligent recruiting 'Guru' will tell u that GT is doing, at the absolute tops, 6th this yr in recruiting in the ACC. Put it all together for yourself.
Sure, some people will hope & pray that u can take a 5th,6th place team, add in recruits that aren't as good as over 1/2 the league & make a run at a championship. Other people will look at that scenario & think that the best that can be hoped for is a run at a very minor Bowl. Right now, look at it for what it is & decide.

GT commitments so far

wink.gif
For Pete's sake gentlemen, I usually post interesting news concerning GT for the benefit of all Tech fans. Rarely offer an opinion, except for position coaching
smile.gif
, & want all GT folks to have info of all kinds to discuss GT situations.
This is a simple opinion that recruiting is a mess. Obviously, far more posters than I imagined have much stronger opinions about recruiting than I do. Never would I have imagined such a firestorm of heated debate over what High School youngster goes to what school.
I figured maybe a coupla posters would even bother on the Hive, but because of such strong sentiment, both ways, it went into the stratosphere & they have also posted their strong sentiments over here. Innocently thought it would be a short discussion of perhaps a weekend that didn't line up right(& MasterB would add input).
If a look at the midpoint of recruiting is too much, then let's just go about our business & not ponder what is happening @ GT with regard to this situation. Sorry if anyone has gotten sick over a view of GT's recruiting position.

wink.gif
For Pete's sake gentlemen, I usually post interesting news concerning GT for the benefit of all Tech fans. Rarely offer an opinion, except for position coaching
smile.gif
This is a simple opinion that recruiting is a mess. Obviously, far more posters than I imagined have much stronger opinions about recruiting than I do. Never would I have imagined such a firestorm of heated debate over what High School youngster goes to what school.
I figured maybe a coupla posters would even bother on the Hive, but because of such strong sentiment, both ways, it went into the stratospere & they have also posted their strong sentiments over here. Innocently thought it would be a short discussion of perhaps a weekend that didn't line up right(& MasterB would add input).
If a look at the midpoint of recruiting is too much, then let's just go about our business & not ponder what is happening @ GT with regard to this situation. Sorry if anyone has gotten sick over a view of GT's recruiting position.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't take BOR's commnets personally. I promise you he doesn't mean it that way.

He tells everyone to shad up!
tongue.gif

wink.gif
smile.gif
I figured maybe a coupla posters would even bother on the Hive, but because of such strong sentiment, both ways, it went into the stratospere & they have also posted their strong sentiments over here. Innocently thought it would be a short discussion of perhaps a weekend that didn't line up right(& MasterB would add input).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The only problem I have with your opinion is you're calling it a mess and you don't even have all of the information (barring the guys on the coaching staff and the recruits themselves, none of us do). The only "mess" is in the way that the information is distributed this year vs. the previous GO'L years. Chan handles recruiting differently than GO'L - not good different, not bad different, just different. We as fans don't have to like change, some obviously don't want change, but we do have to accept it.

My suggestion on recruiting is to look at the whole picture after Feb. 5 and then determine if the recruiting situation is a "mess". **Technically, it won't be the whole picture because you can't project player development (Keith Brooking, Hobie Holiday), personal issues(Brandon Sumner, Al Poree), and other intangibles (Tony Hollings, a good example of positive & negative intangibles).** If our list of signed players looks the same as our current list of commitments then we can look back and say there were problems with recruting - If Dave Wilson and the recruiting gurus are correct in saying that we've gotten a full complement of commitments, then we can be pleasantly surprised and look back and realize that our worries were unfounded.

GTAce, you have simply stated the sentiments of a very large group of Tech men and women and some pollyanna's don't like to hear the facts. Did you read the SOUNDOFF column in the AUC today? This Tech fan expressed the concerns that I have as it pertains to Chan's ability to run a big time 1A
football program. He questioned Chan's judgment
and he chronicled the reasons why, and I totally
agree.

You can't take chicken manure and make chicken salad, you must have some chicken. We don't have any chicken {ie COACH} so we are in deep doodoo.
We are in the midst of a full blown crisis and we don't have a leader and Braine will figure this out in a couple of years when we will be losing to Duke.

Contact,
U don't have enough information to state it's a 'mess' the way information is being distributed this yr. For all u know, or any of us knows, the information distribution could be at an all time high. What right do u have to call our system of the way information is distributed a 'mess'? Why don't u wait until absolutely all information about recruiting is wrapped up sometime in late Feb before u put forth your opinion that our distribtion of it is a 'mess'?
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Contact,
U don't have enough information to state it's a 'mess' the way information is being distributed this yr. For all u know, or any of us knows, the information distribution could be at an all time high. What right do u have to call our system of the way information is distributed a 'mess'? Why don't u wait until absolutely all information about recruiting is wrapped up sometime in late Feb before u put forth your opinion that our distribtion of it is a 'mess'?
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Did I not address that very question by saying:

If our list of signed players looks the same as our current list of commitments then we can look back and say there were problems with recruting - If Dave Wilson and the recruiting gurus are correct in saying that we've gotten a full complement of commitments, then we can be pleasantly surprised and look back and realize that our worries were unfounded.

I find it hard to believe that we would be turning some of the 2nd tier recruits away unless what we're hearing is true - that we are at (or near) full complement and the recruits just aren't speaking up yet. Regardless, neither of us will be proven right/wrong until signing day.

Side note: just to stir up the chicken little in all of us - there is now a "hot news" headline questioning Wrotto's commitment to GT. Is there really an issue or is BorderWars.com playing on our collective chicken little conscience to increase membership sales?

Aaaargh, don't tell me that. He's one of our better ones. Just had to stir up this 'MESS' even more, didn't u? This could really add a 'mess' to the rest of the 'mess'. Hope BoR doesn't see this 'mess' & get on about posting it. Just teasing, don't anybody get tense.
grin.gif

Btw, Contact, I reckon u missed the point of the 'winking' post.

Back