What if only positives were posted from a 7-6,

If only so called "positives" were posted? This would be much like an ostrich with head in sand....comfortable, ignorant, naive, and going nowhere. THWG

Originally posted by GoldZ:
...comfortable, ignorant, naive, and going nowhere... THWG[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actually, this is my goal in life.

what if only negatives were posted? hmmm? anyone thought about that? what kind of anology would that bring about goldz?

that's not the case is it. neither only negatives are posted, nor are only positives posted.

the problem is not in posting negatives or positives. the problem is how they are posted.

throughout the existence of this site, beeware has continually harped that gailey is the worst coach in the universe. and braine is the braine dead for hiring the worst coach in the universe at Tech.

is the above statement a positive or a negative? folks it is really neither .. all it is is destructive.

when grand ole people, three times as old as younger folk like me, who have kids older than gailey, who still have sex at their grand old age, who are in respectable and responsible positions in religious organizations, when people like this use anal humor, is that positive or negative? folks it is really neither .. all it is is destructive.

then there are people who have moles in the GTAA, who hold offices in Tech fan clubs, who make "insider" claims such as the BDS expansion won't take place and Gailey won't go to many booster club meetings and is not allowing anyone from his staff to attend many such booster club meetings either .. well guess what, the BDS expansion is taking place and Gailey may have changed how O'Leary did his spring club meetings but Gailey is definitely involved with booster clubs. well, crap like this can be dealt with, the poster simply loses his credibility, big deal. but when he makes posts like "the sound you hear is Braine soiling himself" .. is this post positive or negative? folks it is really neither .. all it is is destructive.

this board does offer a balanced viewpoint when it comes to pros and cons, negatives and positives. i enjoy that, i like to wear gold colored glasses but i am not fooling myself. i do not want to be an ostrich with its head stuck in the ground, right goldz?

but many a times, this board has a notorious slant on the destructive kinds of posts.

these destructive posts are not made all the time, they are not made by all the people here, they are not made all the time by the people who post them either.

but even if one such post is made, it tarnishes the image of ...
1) the poster
2) this board
3) Tech and its personnel

and what does it achieve? what do destructive posts achieve? do they achieve a balance in debate? what do they achieve?

if the guy with a mole in the GTAA wants to make a post about stadium expansion and thinks that it's a bad idea, he can do so without making abusive and derisive posts about our current AD, can he not? i don't know the inside workings of the GTAA to indulge in an informed debate about the stadium expansion anyways. however, destructive posts will never lead to an informed debate about anything. they will only lead to the three points that i have made earlier.

i still cannot understand why anyone would make anal jokes about our current head coach. that does not achieve anything.

the worst aspect of this board comes about when people use it as a vent. "our recruiting sucks", "there is a rot setting under our head coaches feet", "Today was the last straw, we should just become a div II program".

vents like this cannot be classified as positive or negative. a vent is purely destructive. it is like passing gas. it sounds bad, it smells bad, it makes everyone around uncomfortable and it is beneficial only to the person who passed the vent(gas).

then people go on a long drawnout discussion about 1st amendment rights, free speech and all that. of course you have the right to free speech. but that is not the point here. the point is that your speech is destructive and although you have the right to make it, all i am asking is why do you want to make it? just because you have the power to do something doesn't mean you have to do it. flag burning is also allowed under 1st amendment rights.

another great debate has been on the lines of whether destructivism causes a direct impact on issues like recruiting. does it really cause any direct harm? is it really harmful? nobody that indulges in destructivism wants to believe that it can be harmful. ok .. what if that is yielded .. it may not be harmful.

but is it helpful? if the only way you judge your actions are by thinking .. "is it harmful" .. that is definitely adequate. is that how you are as a Tech fan? "definitely adequate" ??

ever heard of a bathroom singer? maybe we should all take a step back and think about becoming bathroom venters. lets go in our bathrooms and vent our destructivism there. we can do that with peace, we can even flush it away, who cares if the mirror cracks if we vent loud and hard. but why do this in a public forum?

ylojk8, good post and I agree. My post was in answer to Ace's specific question. I believe even the most unpleasant of topics can and SHOULD be expressed, as long as it is done in a civil manner that does not attack the poster. The key here is maintaining a difficult to achieve balance. The Hive for example has recently been way out of balance based on attacking, not well stated or substantiated posts by a relatively small group of fonts. An example of the flip side of this is when both boards went sily nilly neurotic over the booing issue. One would have expected a chat room featuring Dr. Laura at any moment. JOJATK has provided a couple of good posts on this on The Hive recently that I think you will enjoy. THWG

Ylojk8, the only problem with your post is the fact of determing which items or posts are or are not destructive. Who makes that decision?

I may think a remark or post is destructive, and you may think it isn't, or vice versa. Now, which one of us on the board determines if a post is destructive?

I think I have the answer! Maybe it is the moderator of the board. Hmmm, seems like we can refer a post to him if we think it is destructive. If he decides to leave it on the board, it must not be destructive in his eyes.

The only alternative after that would be another poster's rebuttal on the issue.

wink.gif

ahsoisee .. your posts are always full of wisdom.

i agree with you, if reasonable people like you and i cannot agree on what is positive, negative and destructive .. then we need policing/moderating.

this board is ample proof that even reasonable people cannot self-police/moderate.

that point aside .. do you agree that destructive posts are made on this board? or are you saying that it is just me who is seeing destructivism?

when you talk about rebuttals .. how do you rebutt something like "gailey is the worst coach in the history of college football"?

you cannot post sensible rebuttals to insanity.

how do you rebutt anal humor ahso?

Yes, there are posts I see, that seem inappropriate, however,there are many different methods of rebuttal.

The best rebuttals are those that have some facts and figures to back up a view. If you are merely using opinions, the other person has an opinion also, making the issue a dead heat between the two debaters.

The best debates are the ones where an issue is discussed without the two opposite posters getting personal. When I see a poster getting personal, I realize he has already lost the debate. His only recourse is to try to ridicule the other poster.

Lets take myself and BeeWare. It appears his views and mine are 180% apart on most subjects. I needle him often about his views and he does the same to me, but we do not attack each other.

There was a person in my neighborhood (same church) who had ideas 180% from mine. We would argue vehemently on subjects. All of our mutual friends would walk away from us and leave us to our heated discussions. After we finished the discussions, we walked away together just as good friends as prior to the discussions.

I would imagine BeeWare and I could be good friends but still be on opposite sides of most issues. I do not have to dislike BeeWare to debate against him on his ideas.

In fact, I might win BeeWare over to my view one day, but I am not placing any bets on it.

wink.gif

Ahso,

Give us a time estimate for your powers of persuasion to win over Beeware. Probably not in the remaining life of Belly's mouse or mine for that matter. You deserve an A for effort.
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

In all sincerity, your positions are logical but misguided at times. They have my respect as do the beliefs of all the other fonts who post here. Can't we agree to disagree?
pat.gif

laugh.gif

Try not to take yourself too seriously; your perspective is just that.
Remember, a little humour goes a long way.
Give credit where credit is due.
Make an effort to learn as well as to teach.

From my vantage point, Bellyseries and Ahsoisee are right on target just about everytime they post.

ylojk8 asked:

"...how do you rebutt anal humor?"

It's rather like getting the toothpaste back in the tube, I fear, to rebutt anal humor, ylo.

71bee, that was a very nice thing to say about ahso and me. The same can be said for a number of others, I think, including you.

Originally posted by yellowfalcon56:
qb]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gnats, your Pappy is a very wise man.
pappy.jpg
grin.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Dad!

Back