What is stopping Tech?

To us, yes there are things more important than football; to programs like UGA, not as much; to programs like Bama, football is the priority. Maybe that is something that holds GT back, we prioritize academics over sports, it is the whole mindset that gets in the way. I can believe that some UGA grad members on the board of regents would restrict GT's academic offerings primarily due to sports impacts. But would offering more degrees hurt GT's academic reputation? Does it hurt Michigan's academic rep? I think it depends on how you expand more so than if you expand. I would not want to become Clemson for instance.

Agree with everything, especially the bolded part. My point is not necessarily that we shouldn't expand, but that athletic programs should play no role in the decision, and any attempts to rectify athletic problems should not involve anything to do with our general academics. That's an important decision that should be made independent of football or basketball.

Using my example of the University Of Michigan, do you believe the U of Mich. is just for Football? I don't, I personally believe a degree in Engineering from there is just as valuable in the real world as Tech. My point is, GT should be more like U of Mich and not MIT. We are long past being just a Technical Institute. We already have been a University for Decades.

See above.

To us, yes there are things more important than football; to programs like UGA, not as much; to programs like Bama, football is the priority. Maybe that is something that holds GT back, we prioritize academics over sports, it is the whole mindset that gets in the way. I can believe that some UGA grad members on the board of regents would restrict GT's academic offerings primarily due to sports impacts. But would offering more degrees hurt GT's academic reputation? Does it hurt Michigan's academic rep? I think it depends on how you expand more so than if you expand. I would not want to become Clemson for instance.
This was my point when I asked to what extent football is a priority at the highest governance levels of the institution -- I can assure you that there are institutions where it IS very much a priority at the highest levels, right or wrong.

My point is, GT should be more like U of Mich and not MIT.

I don't think most people have ever looked at MITs course catalog. Yes, they've got some ball busting technical/science classes just like GT, but they've got a ton of other programs in the social sceicnes/liberal arts areas that are arguable much broader than GT.

http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/learning/majors_minors/index.shtml

Few highlights for those too lazy to click:

• Anthropology
  • East Asian Studies
  • Film and Media Studies
  • Foreign Languages and Literatures
  • History
  • Humanities
  • Latin American Studies
  • Linguistics and Philosophy
  • Literature
  • Management (with concentrations in Information Technology, Operations Research, Marketing Research, or Finance)
  • Music and Theater Arts
  • Philosophy
  • Theater
  • Women's Studies (available as a major departure)

Theres plenty of room within technical subjects for GT to expand and still be GT, and its happening, but the GTAA shouldn't have any say in the matter. Besides that, any expansion is going to be a benefit to athletics anyways.

One area that I'd like to see GT expand into that would be good for the institute and benefit athletics as well is under the biology dept, more sports med/pre- physical therapist/etc. And it would be great for the school, athletics and the state in general is following through with the teaching cert offer that (at least a few years ago, might still be) on the undergrad application.

Who in the Hell goes to MIT to major in Latin American studies or Women's studies or are those merely courses and not disciplines?

Even if they are just courses why would you waste money and time taking them when something a lot more useful is available? You are at MIT for God's sake.

Who in the Hell goes to MIT to major in Latin American studies or Women's studies or are those merely courses and not disciplines?

Even if they are just courses why would you waste money and time taking them when something a lot more useful is available? You are at MIT for God's sake.

All those and more are degree programs, not just courses.

One thing that is stopping Tech is the belief that something is stopping us.

There is no something.

WINNER!

But here are some more simple and valid reasons....

MONEY.

Money for top coaches

Money for top facilities

I believe we have the coaching part as good as we have had since Dodd.

Money comes from butts in seats, donations and TV.

• Butts in seats - SLOW process of recruiting GEORGIA, winning, HAVE to beat UGA 35% of the time, MINIMUM
  • Donations - I'm sure Drad has this part down pretty well. Don't know how much CPJ likes this part of his job? Smoozing and sucking up don't seem a part of his DNA (I happen to like that part about him)
  • TV - The timing of the economy and ACC basketball having an off year is not good. We'll see, but Swoffard as commish is not confidence inspiring

We already beat em 30% of the time. 35% won't cut it. 60% will.

Back