What realistic hire would really excite you

LeonardWood

Dodd-Like
I don't know how realistic a Holgorsen hire would be but that would make me burn-my-tool-shed-down excited.

Briles should be a realistic hire but zero chance he would get through Bud. I would be much excite for him though.

LeonardWood

Dodd-Like
I don't know. "Excitement" is a value neutral term. I can think of a bunch of hires that would get me excited in ways other than "I think this is a positive development for the school" kind of way.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Leach
Satterfield
Briles
Monken
Venables
Whisenhunt
I think these are all good coaches. The three I like the most are Briles, Leach, and Venables, but unfortunately I think those are also the three biggest long shots. The others all worry me for various reasons.

Monken is CPJ Lite, and I'm not sure he really offers us much beyond continuity. The program won't fade into oblivion under him, but I don't see him progressing it either.

Satterfield has never coached or recruited at the P5 level, even as an assistant. The Sun Belt has been the big leagues for him up to this point. I suppose there was a similar knock on CPJ when we hired him, but he had completely turned Navy around whereas Satterfield has basically just kept App State where they were at. If we get turned down by other more enticing options, I'm OK with him.

Whisenhunt has very limited college coaching experience, and that was over 20 years ago. He's been successful whenever he has a good QB, and unsuccessful when he hasn't. In college he wouldn't be reliant on the competence of a general manager to provide him with a capable QB, but on the other hand, his ability to recruit is a complete unknown.

I didn't include Kiffin because he's garbage.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
I'm thinking Stansbury is going to test the notion that the recruiting problem at Tech is structural rather than the product of having sticks-in-the-mud like Johnson and Gailey as coach.

With that in mind, I think we might look at an uber recruiter like Dell McGee as head coach and hope he can bring competent coordinators on board.
I wouldn’t mind seeing Tech go the Dabo CEO route instead of the Xs & Os master route. I don’t know if we could pull it off on our shoe string budget though.

LeonardWood

Dodd-Like
Monken is a chance at a CPJ-redo with an active AD that's supporting the program, not one that is looking for greener pastures like DRad or... well... I don't really know what Bobinski did during his time here. That, to me, is super exciting.

Venables to GT is not realistic.

gnats67

Dodd-Like
The Front Office will disband the football program before they sign off on Briles, Kiffin or Leach. It'll be someone with a respectable reputation and resume or a respectful and promising scion.

05GTCorndog

Staff member
Satterfield would be a good hire, not sure exciting.

I could sign off on Monken too, but we’d need more variation out of the offense. I think he is a good enough coach to modify it in ways that could be successful. If we go that route, I hope he’d have a budget to upgrade our assistants in a big way.

ee8384

Affable Curmudgeon
Oh God what have you done???
Once Bama loses to UGA this weekend and misses the playoff, Tide fans will run Saban off and right into the loving arms of Ma Tech.

Which raises the question - could you live with a UGA Natty if it meant Saban as GT coach?

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
I don't know how realistic a Holgorsen hire would be but that would make me burn-my-tool-shed-down excited.

Briles should be a realistic hire but zero chance he would get through Bud. I would be much excite for him though.
Probably not too realistic but I’ll add him to the list

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
I would love hiring Jeff Monken. Because nothing makes me happier than proving ööööing morons wrong. ööööing morons are the people who think we can’t be successful running the triple option here as a thing GT does. Monken is exactly the type of coach people have been hoping CPJ would be just he also coaches the triple option. In 2008-2009 it is my understanding the players adored him. His departure was felt immediately in the 2010 season. The locker room was PJ’s and he’s just not that likable.