what say you?

GT98

Dodd-Like
I am curious as to font's overall take of the next year. I am having a lot of trouble getting fired up about it. I am glad for the NIT run to put off the envitable focus on football. No, I am not down on the coaches per se, just do not see a lot to get excited about. QB simply remains a position that GT is not very good at; the likelihood has increased dramatically that one of the freshmen--Ball or Carter will be the starter in Provo. Yes, Bilbo is a good athlete, but from watching practices and others that I know that have attended, he simply cannot make enough of the right reads consistently to make plays; spectacular throws will be followed by woeful decisions.

RB remains a huge question mark as well. It seems that the answer is either Hollings is 100% (unlikely) or that Grant is the real deal from day 1 (again, unlikely). Our WR's have a case of the "dropsies" and our lack of recruiting at this position over the last couple of years is hurting us.

The bright spot thus far has been Tenuta's defense. Henderson has improved quite a bit and the linebackers will sorely be missed after next year.

I think that our defense is good enough to keep us in games, but the offense has quite a bit of work in order to be able to score, much less against the quality teams that we will play early in the year.

With a freshmen QB, 0-4 is a distinct possibility and the team could quit the rest of the year; a split of the first 4 would set us up nicely. I am hoping that I am wrong, but I see a not so good season for GT football and Braine(dead) sticking by Gailey anything short of any 0-fer year or him resigning.

Rebuttals of any of the above are welcome--I am trying to find the silver lining to get excited about GT football in the fall. No, I am not advocating that Gailey be run out of town; that would still leave GT with the bigger problem of Braine and his small circle of influence. Again, I hope that I am wrong and Gailey has the team playing hard from day 1.

Better hope for Bilbo, because a true fr. starting from day one means even more trouble at that spot. Bilbo has everything you would want in talent. I truly believe with the rest of spring and then the summer-fall practice he will get it!!! At least I sure so!!

I can only repeat the same thing I have said often.

If the problem last year was a combination of BOB and unhappy players, I think we could have a complete turn-around.

If the problem last year was the fault of poor coaching and decisions by Gailey, we could have a repeat of last year.

If my guess is right, we will have a good year. If my guess is wrong, we will be discussing the basketball season early.

wink.gif

We could have a very good team and still end up with a bad record. This team may take a while to jell and by then it may be too late to get the record that most of us want mainly 8 or so wins. As for me if I see improvement from week to week and to be competitive even if we happen to lose then I'll see the program on the up swing.

Originally posted by GT98:
No, I am not advocating that Gailey be run out of town; that would still leave GT with the bigger problem of Braine and his small circle of influence.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We certainly have the talent to go 10-1 or 9-2; but we do not have the coaching. If this team had a quality coach like the Fridge, we would certainly compete with every team on our schedule and likely compete for the title.

But with this new simplified offense; and with Chan Gailey taking over as de facto offensive co-ordinator...doing exactly what he said he would not do when he was hired....the recipe for disaster is at hand.

Let's hope we have enough of O'leary's talent left to overcome the coaching.....but that is a lot to ask of the young men.

You are definitely right that it would do no good to get rid of Chan if you leave Braine. They will both have to go....just depends on how much damage is allowed to go on before it happens.

GT98, I wish I could give you something to be optimistic about...I guess we can always hope.

Keep hope alive.
---Jesse Jackson

Long way to go till Fall. Have a lot of work to do.

Our ability to throw and catch has been very inconsitent thus far this spring.

We'll see what kind of strides can be made as they continue to install the offense.

As much as I want to see Bilbo take control of this team, have a feeling it's going to a be a freshman at QB. Just my opinion at this point and time.

Again, have a long way to go till Provo. A lot can happen.

Looking forward to getting back Dorsey and Robinson.

Do not have much confidence in OL coach or S&C coach. Have not heard one positive word about the line becoming leaner yet bigger & stronger. Perhaps that happens more in offseason than time between end of last season and spring practice. At least bo'b is gone so we have improved there and CG recognizes we were not tough enough. Just have no confidence in S & C coach as of this moment.
Beeware - are you saying we should have fired O'L to hire the fridge? If not then what? DB contacted him after O'L turned coat and he was not interested in leaving maryhadalittleland. So what are/were your expectations or are you just talking out of your ass as usual.

Originally posted by texstinger:
Do not have much confidence in OL coach or S&C coach. Have not heard one positive word about the line becoming leaner yet bigger & stronger. Perhaps that happens more in offseason than time between end of last season and spring practice. At least bo'b is gone so we have improved there and CG recognizes we were not tough enough. Just have no confidence in S & C coach as of this moment.
Beeware - are you saying we should have fired O'L to hire the fridge? If not then what? DB contacted him after O'L turned coat and he was not interested in leaving maryhadalittleland. So what are/were your expectations or are you just talking out of your ass as usual.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">From what I've seen we're leaner is some cases on OL and bigger in others. Dorsey is most definately leaner. Everyone looking on talked about it. Stood out big time. Robinson has trimmed down as well. Guys like Findley, Wallace, Tidwell-Neal, Besirevic, Hartley, and Honeycutt are all bigger.

On D side of ball we're bigger as well. Parker, Hargrove, Billy, and Pullen probably stand out the most on D line in how they've grown compared to last year. At backer Wilkerson looks a lot more fit and moves better. Can tell he's worked on his strength, speed, and flexability. Think he might be lighter honestly. McNair's gotten bigger. At DB and Safety Landry and Houston look more physical.

Back on O, while he still has a lot of room to grow, Cooper has filled out a lot. Would put McGuire in that same situation. He needs to bulk up more, but he's not the super slinder guy he was.

We'll find out how all this tranfers to the game!

Go Jackets!

Broken record...broken record...broken record. Beeware - still the most embarrassing thing on StingTalk.

Originally posted by beeware:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GT98:
No, I am not advocating that Gailey be run out of town; that would still leave GT with the bigger problem of Braine and his small circle of influence.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We certainly have the talent to go 10-1 or 9-2; but we do not have the coaching. If this team had a quality coach like the Fridge, we would certainly compete with every team on our schedule and likely compete for the title.

You are definitely right that it would do no good to get rid of Chan if you leave Braine. They will both have to go....just depends on how much damage is allowed to go on before it happens.

GT98, I wish I could give you something to be optimistic about...I guess we can always hope.

Keep hope alive.
---Jesse Jackson
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">beeware i disagree strongly about the talent part of your post. surely, you would agree that hamilton/godsey is head and shoulders above our current qb's, would you not? also, our receiving core was much, much better than right now. there are certainly both o'leary players and gailey recruits that show promise at those positions, but until it is shown in games, you would have to conclude that at qb and wr at least, the talent level is down from the past few years.

i agree about the fridge simply because he is the best offensive gameplanning coach in the game and could find something to make the offense more productive--however, even he would have had a difficult task this past year w/our players at qb and the numerous injuries in the backfield.

i agree also regarding braine. GT is a very good job and certainly with the athletic dept./dr. clough/alumni willing to pay a coach $1 mil.+, the job is financially lucrative as well. i think that braine's sphere of contacts is limited; both coaches he has hired came from someone recommended to him.

my point of the original post was not to be negative, nor to degenerate this thread into the ad's shortcomings; i really am looking for things to be excited about come fall.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
I can only repeat the same thing I have said often.

If the problem last year was a combination of BOB and unhappy players, I think we could have a complete turn-around.

If the problem last year was the fault of poor coaching and decisions by Gailey, we could have a repeat of last year.

If my guess is right, we will have a good year. If my guess is wrong, we will be discussing the basketball season early.

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree as far as team attitude is concerned. However at the end of the day, it is more important to get much better QB play than we had last year--I believe that that will go further towards determining the won/loss record than the players wanting to play hard for Gailey. Of course, if Gailey was more of the problem, then it could get ugly.

GT98... I think you did a great job stating your points and questions. Like why you posted as well.

We've got to find a qb between now and fall. If its a younger guy it's not going to happen with a guy showing up here and poof he's Joe Hamilton in spring of his Junior year. If it's one of the older guys I'd expect them to show more quickly than say a Pena.

In my mind it's just really hard to tell while there is so much new installation. When it's in and repped a lot we should be able to tell more.

THe game is played at such a high speed that it needs to come natural which comes with a lot of hard work, coaching, and reps. See a lot more, what KBEE keeps saying at practice, "instant corrections" from our offensive coaches this year. While no one likes to see the drops and execution throwing it's something I've always seen in spring practice expecially when there is so much new stuff being installed. I don't mean that as an excuse. This deal just takes a lot of hard work. Keep saying it, but in my mind we have a long way to go till Provo. Not saying this isn't urgent. It sure as heck should be. We've got to get better in a lot of areas. That's why they're out there.

Originally posted by GTTerrific:

In my mind it's just really hard to tell while there is so much new installation. When it's in and repped a lot we should be able to tell more.

THe game is played at such a high speed that it needs to come natural which comes with a lot of hard work, coaching, and reps. See a lot more, what KBEE keeps saying at practice, "instant corrections" from our offensive coaches this year. While no one likes to see the drops and execution throwing it's something I've always seen in spring practice expecially when there is so much new stuff being installed. I don't mean that as an excuse. This deal just takes a lot of hard work. Keep saying it, but in my mind we have a long way to go till Provo. Not saying this isn't urgent. It sure as heck should be. We've got to get better in a lot of areas. That's why they're out there.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good point. During a lot of installation, typically the defense is ahead of the offense. A potential bright spot for GT on offense could be TE; have heard some good things regarding George Cooper. GT has lacked a stud at TE for too long to remember.

The formula of strong defense and conservative offense can work and it might be the best chance for success in terms of won/loss record. I just wonder if the offense will be able to do anything at all to let our D rest some in the bigger games. IF the running game can be effective, that would certainly be a big lift and take pressure off of whomever gets the nod at QB. I don't think that it has to be spectacular like Hollings showed in 4 games, but good enough to move the chains.

I don't care how GT wins games--high powered offense or conservative run oriented w/strong defense.

Well...I think that GTTerrific may have led me to a silver lining--an effective run game to go with what looks like a promising defense.
smile.gif
At least with the early tough schedule, we will not have to wait long to find out what the team (and coaching staff) is made of.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Beeware - still the most embarrassing thing on StingTalk.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ncj,

I would repectfully suggest that if you want to see something embarrassing....you might want to watch a replay of last year's TECH-ugag fiasco of historical proportions. Or, perhaps, watching Fresno State's second unit whip us in the Silicon Valley classic might allow some additional perspective to sink in.

Although it is not always popular on here, I stand firmly against Tech's historically storied football program being allowed to sink back into the abyss....an abyss that was thought to have been left behind forever.

Keep hope alive.
---Jesse Jackson

How can you not get up for it is the question ! A new season,some axes to grind,renovated BDS@HGF! I'm read for the season to start now
blue.gif
drinking.gif
blue.gif
drinking.gif
blue.gif
drinking.gif
blue.gif
drinking.gif

GT98, the main premise in my guess is the QB position. My point has always been that BOB was not a quarterback coach.

Since Nix is coaching the quarterbacks, I am willing to state emphatically that the quarterback position will be much better this year than last year.

I state this regardless of which quarterback wins the position. That is the main reason I am guessing we will have a better record and team this year.

wink.gif

TomJ. I love your little quote of the Bard but I have to say that we have one person here who keeps winding his watch but since his main spring is broken we will continue to hear him wind his watch and to hear his crap forever. If CG were to take us to the Nat Championship he would still be saying we could have one more game. HIS CRAP STINKS!!!!

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
Long way to go till Fall. Have a lot of work to do.

Our ability to throw and catch has been very inconsitent thus far this spring.

We'll see what kind of strides can be made as they continue to install the offense.

As much as I want to see Bilbo take control of this team, have a feeling it's going to a be a freshman at QB. Just my opinion at this point and time.

Again, have a long way to go till Provo. A lot can happen.

Looking forward to getting back Dorsey and Robinson.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTT: Interested in your take on Damarius? You're at the practices - can you give a breakdown on what may be negative and what may be positive. This is mindboggling to me that he can get on track. Thanks.
rolleyes.gif

Hi Guys,

Isn't all this a bit premature? It's way early to draw any conclusions on how things will shape up in the fall; it's spring practice for gosh sakes. Shoot Coach Dodd didn't even require most of the upper classmen to come out and few practices were in pads. Yet somehow the team was more than ready in the fall.

Thanks to the comments posted here from those able to watch practice, I see alot to feel good about.

What's the word on Dorsey's shoulder injury last season?

What say I?
I say I'm a Tech fan and will pull for them if they come out and line up backwards.

Back