what say you?

GT98... I never answered your post.. got distracted..

Am I excited about next year... absolutely !! I think the guys are working hard during the off season, I think Gailey is the right coach for Tech, I also think that we have good assistant coaches and that the changes to the staff during the off season will serve us well. I expected the 2003 year to be a lean year for us, but the more I look at things, the more I like what I see.

In regards to spring practice.. I dont really look for execution from the offense.. I expect passes to be dropped, fumbles, etc.. usually these practices are for installation, fundatmentals, but more than anything, it keeps football on the brain for the team.. it serves as a barometer of sorts for those filling positions for open slots etc.. it also lets guys know what they need to work on between now and summer camp.

I am anxious to see how the QB position unfolds, and am anxious to see how Tony comes back from injury... I am anxious to see how the DB's come around. We will be strong again at LB.. may have some surprises on the DL and I expect our OL to be steady. I think we will have some new heros at the skill positions . ..As I have said so many times, I want us to play fundementally sound ball, hit folks in the mouth, and win the games we should win, if thats 13 of them, so be it.

I think OldFoggy is right .. we could have a very good team, but not the W-L record we all desire.. but then again we could... thats why they play the games.

I disagree with MS Tech that last year was the beginning of our sorrows.. in my opinion, it actually began in 2001 when we couldnt stop the QB Draw at BDS.. and was solidified with an OT loss to Maryland in 2001. From that point on, we havent been taken seriously in terms of national interest, chatter, etc. but I do agree that I too liked the national chatter etc. soooo much better as well.. Sportscenter was alot more fun to watch when they talked positive about Tech.. and Gameday was much better when we brought something to the table.

Agree with Law.. I dont understand why some continue to spend so much time on coaches who CHOSE to leave Tech. Friedgen is beginning his third season at Maryland and GOL has been gone for well over a year, but there continues to be this obsession about them... they are gone, and wont be back.. I just dont understand the living in the past. We get enough of that from East Cesspool U with all of the 1980 gargage.

I dont care if we run off tackle every play as long as we score points and win games... there is not a written rule that you have to run the option to win (i.e UGA 2002, USC 2002, I could go on.. )

And in regards to BeeDawg... give me a double of whatever it is he's drinking... I could use a vacation from reality for a while.

Belly.. can I sit beside you at the games? I will be yelling with you..

And GTT.. thanks for the kind words.. maybe I will run into you at practice during the next week or so..

EXCELLENT post Jacketguy! You seem to have the right attitude and perspective about the coming season! I too think we will be improved and we will play fundamentally better than we did last season and maybe even better than 2001.

Weaknesses and inexperience at QB AND DB aside, I think we'll be a competitive team this year and maybe we'll even surprise some folks. I don't look for us to have a huge BCS year or anything, but then again you never know. Like it or not, we're still going through a transition process with the new coaching staff and just like GT basketball, we'll see BIG dividends down the road. For now I'm just happy to be following, cheering, and supporting our Jackets!!

blue.gif

Law, just read your post loved every word of it! I guess BW does not understand that he's an idiot and every time he opens his mouth he proves it again and again. I will be in Atlanta for several games and do not want to meet BW but do hope to see someone punch his lights out as a spectator(sp). TO HELL WITH HIS IDOLS FRIDGE, GOL and UGA.

jacketguy, you're last post was a dandy! Just an excellent take on what Spring Practice is about in general.

Hope to see you as our Jackets keep building this team at practice.

GO JACKETS!

I will add my two cents about DBO to this point. DBO is learning a new offense while dealing with playing behind more backups than starters on the offensive line. IMHO the results of this will be better depth in the OL when the season starts. He is playing with recievers that are young but improving. The exception to this is Jonathan Smith who catches almost everything that comes his way. He is playing against an experiened and atletic defensive line playing the same system for the second year in a row.
Just my opinion but all this adds up to being a little inconsistent at this point. There are a lot of practices between now and Provo and much improvement has to happen to be successful but mental toughness should not be a problem with DBO.

Originally posted by jacketguy:
GT98... I never answered your post.. got distracted..

Am I excited about next year... absolutely !! I think the guys are working hard during the off season, I think Gailey is the right coach for Tech, I also think that we have good assistant coaches and that the changes to the staff during the off season will serve us well. I expected the 2003 year to be a lean year for us, but the more I look at things, the more I like what I see.

In regards to spring practice.. I dont really look for execution from the offense.. I expect passes to be dropped, fumbles, etc.. usually these practices are for installation, fundatmentals, but more than anything, it keeps football on the brain for the team.. it serves as a barometer of sorts for those filling positions for open slots etc.. it also lets guys know what they need to work on between now and summer camp.

I am anxious to see how the QB position unfolds, and am anxious to see how Tony comes back from injury... I am anxious to see how the DB's come around. We will be strong again at LB.. may have some surprises on the DL and I expect our OL to be steady. I think we will have some new heros at the skill positions . ..As I have said so many times, I want us to play fundementally sound ball, hit folks in the mouth, and win the games we should win, if thats 13 of them, so be it.

I think OldFoggy is right .. we could have a very good team, but not the W-L record we all desire.. but then again we could... thats why they play the games.

I disagree with MS Tech that last year was the beginning of our sorrows.. in my opinion, it actually began in 2001 when we couldnt stop the QB Draw at BDS.. and was solidified with an OT loss to Maryland in 2001. From that point on, we havent been taken seriously in terms of national interest, chatter, etc. but I do agree that I too liked the national chatter etc. soooo much better as well.. Sportscenter was alot more fun to watch when they talked positive about Tech.. and Gameday was much better when we brought something to the table.

Agree with Law.. I dont understand why some continue to spend so much time on coaches who CHOSE to leave Tech. Friedgen is beginning his third season at Maryland and GOL has been gone for well over a year, but there continues to be this obsession about them... they are gone, and wont be back.. I just dont understand the living in the past. We get enough of that from East Cesspool U with all of the 1980 gargage.

I dont care if we run off tackle every play as long as we score points and win games... there is not a written rule that you have to run the option to win (i.e UGA 2002, USC 2002, I could go on.. )

And in regards to BeeDawg... give me a double of whatever it is he's drinking... I could use a vacation from reality for a while.

Belly.. can I sit beside you at the games? I will be yelling with you..

And GTT.. thanks for the kind words.. maybe I will run into you at practice during the next week or so..
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I have to disagree here - in 2001 I DID NOT THINK WE WERE SOFT, but competitive in every game. I did not believe that to be the case in 2002. I saw a soft, undeciplined team not well prepared. In 2001, however you want to look at "I" saw a team prepared for every game no matter the outcome. I did not leave the 2001 season worrying or being unsure, I felt good about the next season then.

The change for me came during and after the Clemson game of 2002. I was there and walked away very disheartened. That feeling I mentioned in the earlier post was never there in 2001 but there all through 2002.

Ms Tech.. respect your opinion.. and have to admit that I felt the same as you did in 2002.. I guess the realization of decline hit me a little earlier .. the line of demarcation for me was in Sept 2001.

In my opinion, any time you give up over 500 yards of offense you are soft, we did that against Clemson in 2001... and couldnt stop one play all day long... but the dagger in the heart for me was the Maryland game... we were not prepared and fell behind early, we lost a game we should have won...

And as bad as I hate to say it... we were whipped by Georgia in 2001 ... they doubled our stats.. whipped us on the line... the biggest difference between the 2001 and 2002 games is the fact that they kicked field goals in 2001... scored touchdowns in 2002... but in both cases... it was apparent from the first series which team was ready to play and which wasnt... we were outmanned both years.. and even Bobby Bowden commented that he was surprised to see Tech so uninspired when we played FSU.

Here is hoping we can both enjoy some positive chatter during the 2003 season...

Ms Tech.. respect your opinion.. and have to admit that I felt the same as you did in 2002.. I guess the realization of decline hit me a little earlier .. the line of demarcation for me was in Sept 2001.

In my opinion, any time you give up over 500 yards of offense you are soft, we did that against Clemson in 2001... and couldnt stop one play all day long... but the dagger in the heart for me was the Maryland game... we were not prepared and fell behind early, we lost a game we should have won...

And as bad as I hate to say it... we were whipped by Georgia in 2001 ... they doubled our stats.. whipped us on the line... the biggest difference between the 2001 and 2002 games is the fact that they kicked field goals in 2001... scored touchdowns in 2002... but in both cases... it was apparent from the first series which team was ready to play and which wasnt... we were outmanned both years.. and even Bobby Bowden commented that he was surprised to see Tech so uninspired when we played FSU.

Here is hoping we can both enjoy some positive chatter during the 2003 season...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Let's hope so!

it's very amusing to read beeware's recent posts about "biased and sugar coated" practice reports.

beeware, you're complaining about bias? what a riot!

uhhh .. could you bee more biased? could you bee a bee??

any thoughts about maryland's new middle linebacker coach? what's the offensive genius doing coaching middle linebackers? i'd love to hear your biased and sugar coated analysis and reasoning about that embarrassment.

And as bad as I hate to say it... we were whipped by Georgia in 2001 ... they doubled our stats.. whipped us on the line... the biggest difference between the 2001 and 2002 games is the fact that they kicked field goals in 2001... scored touchdowns in 2002... but in both cases... it was apparent from the first series which team was ready to play and which wasnt... we were outmanned both years.....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">J-guy,
With a spin like that, you ought to be in politics.
tongue.gif

The difference in 2001 and 2002 and was night and day.
The 2001 defense gave up EXACTLY ONE offensive TD!!! The 2002 gave up 51 points and it could easily have given up a 100 points if ugag hadn't had mercy on us.

The 2001 team had the ball in the 4th quarter with a chance to take the lead and win the game; and even after two 4th quarter turnovers cost us the game, they NEVER quit.. The 2002 team was NEVER in the game minutes after the opening kickoff and basically quit.

As a fan, I was sad that the 2001 team lost to ugag, but I understand it certainly is difficult to beat a ugag team that was very hungry after losing 3 in a row to Coach O'leary's Jackets. But the 2001 team did not give up.
I was also at the 2002 ugag game and it was a mind-boggling embarrassment.

There is no comparison to the 2001 and 2002 ugag games. Not as far as coaching or team effort.

J-guy...I will sum up your desperation spin on the game with an old saying:

That spin-dog won't hunt!!

I think there's a difference but I also think it's a miracle that we managed 7-5 in Chan's first year. I usually anticipate much worse after a regime change. The wins against Virginia and NC State were inspiration you don't normally find in first year coaches. We "should" have lost those games. The argument that Chan Gailey is a football mushroom that's just been waiting to be picked by a fool is very, very tired.

I think the reason why Coach O'Brien is the middle linebackers coach is because the OC is already taken at Maryland. They had to let the linebackers coach go for some violations. Ralph would not fire someone who has done a good job for him to make a place for someone. The open spot was middle linebackers coach.

Do I think Ralph would have considered Coach O'Brien for the position had it been open - yes. There's just some places coaches do better with the right environment and I believe anyone on the offensive side of the ball would learn from Coach Friedgen - no matter who he is.

Back