What Tech Stars Were Your Favorites When You Were Growing Up?

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
My favorite players were Billy Lothridge in football and Roger Kaiser in basketball. And I can still see Coach Dodd walking onto the field behind the team, in football shoes, white socks, grey pants, white shirt, gold tie, blue blazer, sunglasses, and hat... and Coach Whack Hyder sitting on the bench coaching the basketball team, never getting up to argue with the refs and always setting a great example for our players.

Not my all time favorite, but Gerris Wilkinson was a badass who never gets mentioned among the defensive players from the 00's... and he should. He was my favorite non-CJ player from my days at Ma Tech (01-05)

My freshman year a dorm friend named Matt said he was going to walk on as a WR . His first contact scrimmage he got pole-axed by Lucius Sanford. Considered this was not his level. Stuck with it and got on scholarship. Later written up in the AJC.
Newbie Coach Cremins spoke at our fraternity dinner and asked us all to come out and support the team. Bragged on Brook Steppe. It was a fun season. Brooke had a good year. Next up -Mark Price.
Lefty Drisell said we did not belong in the ACC. GT beat him that year.
Kent Hill. I was knocking on doors selling tickets to a beer party in area 3. The door opened and this GIANT was behind it. Nice guy for all the hurt I saw him hand out.
Gary Lanier. That kid beat Notre Dame without throwing a single pass. On short notice. +++
Shawn Jones. Sat in the upper deck of the cesspool and watched SJ take them apart and rejoiced in the silence of the traffic jam leaving Sanford.

the first player I remember liking more than everyone else is kelly rhino. I loved his tenacity on returns. punt and kick returners need to watch his film and learn something. Can't forget Godsey, he was the first QB of my GT fanship. since then my favorite player has easily Been Nesbitt. keeping up with his highschool days helped that too (I grew up close to Greene co, and he was a big deal in the area. worth driving a county over for to see on a Friday night for sure). defensively Joe Anoia and Morgan Burnett stick out as "favorites". Many others, but those few top the lists.

complimentary "before my time" player- Lucious Sanford seemed like a hard ass. would love to have him on the flats again.

edit- Cant not mention Megatron, but he goes without saying

My childhood era was
Eddie Lee Ivery
Mike Kelly
Tico Brown
Sammy Drummer - tragic story after GT. He really should have never been allowed to enroll at GT.
There were not many bright spots for GT basketball.
Tech really struggled back then.

My favorite players were Billy Lothridge in football and Roger Kaiser in basketball. And I can still see Coach Dodd walking onto the field behind the team, in football shoes, white socks, grey pants, white shirt, gold tie, blue blazer, sunglasses, and hat... and Coach Whack Hyder sitting on the bench coaching the basketball team, never getting up to argue with the refs and always setting a great example for our players.

Randy Rhino, Rock Perdoni, Brett Cunningham,

So many but to start, Kim King, Lenny Snow, Brent Cunningham, Lucious Sanford, Pat Swilling, Coleman Rudolph, Rock Perdoni, Billy Shields, Kent Hill, Shawn Jones, Calvin Johnson, Eddie Lee Ivery just to name a few. Of course by the time Calvin played here I wasn't a kid anymore. Nor really for Shawn Jones and the 1990 Natl championship season. I was 33 at the time.

Joe Hamilton, Felipe Claybrooks, Greg Gathers, Jeremy Muyres

(born 1986)

Calvin was obviously my favorite while I was in school after making it to Clemson for his freshman breakout game.

Last edited:
Your list about matches mine, i might include Billy Williamson and Chick Graning. Might i add RD Craddock and Ron Scharf

Joe was a god to me. Most of my favorite individual players are from that era. Daryl Smith and Keyaron Fox were a fun duo to watch together, and I'll remember freshman Smith's pick six in Athens until I die.

Two of my favorites didn't really get the full chance to pan out, Greg Gathers and Tony Hollings. Still think Gathers could have been as good as Peppers and Hollings was going to be in the running for Heisman.

JfN is, and always will be, my favorite.

I was there. The crowd was ugly before the game. Lightning delay. 9 TD's in the first half between GT and FSU. Thomas getting physical on a corner on a long TD catch. It was one of the most wonderful games I have ever attended.

Also, on the ST side, Manget and Dan "Dance, Dance" Dyke were another great pairing. Lots of talent on those late 90's-early 00's squads.

A lot can be said for Randy Rhino, and he often overshadows the other members of the Rhino team that played for GT, but Kelley was the one that first got me into Tech football. My family used to save the weekend of Thanksgiving for our annual hunting trip. All the guys from Florida to North Carolina would come down to Unadilla and we had been hunting on the same sets of farms for over 30 years. I remember driving home from camp that year listening to the radio. Rhino had taken on special teams from Dez White I think halfway through season and the announcers were really big on him. Then Godsey scooped up that blocked kick and me and my old man spent what felt like forever trying to figure out what was going on. The announcers were stunned and confused - I think it was Georgia radio. I didn't really have a team at that point in my life, but by next season I had my first GT hat and shirt.

A lot can be said for Randy Rhino, and he often overshadows the other members of the Rhino team that played for GT, but Kelley was the one that first got me into Tech football. My family used to save the weekend of Thanksgiving for our annual hunting trip. All the guys from Florida to North Carolina would come down to Unadilla and we had been hunting on the same sets of farms for over 30 years. I remember driving home from camp that year listening to the radio. Rhino had taken on special teams from Dez White I think halfway through season and the announcers were really big on him. Then Godsey scooped up that blocked kick and me and my old man spent what felt like forever trying to figure out what was going on. The announcers were stunned and confused - I think it was Georgia radio. I didn't really have a team at that point in my life, but by next season I had my first GT hat and shirt.
Rhino is another good one, lots of characters on those teams.

Tony Hollings, Demarius Bilbo, Gerris Wilkerson, et al

Back