What Tech Stars Were Your Favorites When You Were Growing Up?

My true ones have already been named (Shawn Jones, William Bell, Ken Swilling, Joe Ham), but I'll nominate the duo of Keith Brooking and Ron Rogers who helped me get through the Dark Ages of the early/mid 90s.

Football : Shawn Jones, Eddie lee Ivery, Ken Swilling, Pat Swilling, Marco Coleman, Rock Pedrdoni
Basketball: Dennis Scott, Mark Price, Kenny Anderson, Brian Oliver

I'd have to say Lucius Sanford, Eddie Lee Ivery were my favorites but JFN was the man.

My parents told me when I was three years old I would center my toy football saying, "I am Don Stephenson." In later childhood years I loved Kim King, Lennie Snow, Craig Baynham, John Sias, Johnny Gresham, Jim Breland and Smylie Gebhardt

My favorite players were Billy Lothridge in football and Roger Kaiser in basketball. And I can still see Coach Dodd walking onto the field behind the team, in football shoes, white socks, grey pants, white shirt, gold tie, blue blazer, sunglasses, and hat... and Coach Whack Hyder sitting on the bench coaching the basketball team, never getting up to argue with the refs and always setting a great example for our players.
Rufus Guthrie, Larry Stallings,Lothridhe,Billy Martin, Joe Auer, Kim King, Jim Breeland, Lenny Snow, the list goes on.....

Wasn't a kid, but my favorites from my earliest (not including Joe Hamilton):

Felipe Claybrooks
Greg Gathers
Charlie Rogers
Harvey Middleton

I was hooked on Tech in the 50's. Could name a "bunch" but Wade Mitchell was my favorite. A 2way star on both sides of the line.

Football: Shawn Jones, "Battleship", William Bell, Ken Swilling, Willie Clay, Coleman Rudolph, Marco Coleman, Joe Siffri, Mike Mooney, Bobby Rodriguez
Basketball: Lethal Weapon 3, and a little later James Forrest, Travis Best, Matt Geiger, Eddie Elisma, Jon Barry, and then later Drew Barry, Harpering, Marbury.

I was 8-16 y/o when those guys were playing and they are the first ones I really remember being big fans of. Fan Day, even in 1991 after the MNC, was a lot better. The players were a lot more accessible and the crowds were much smaller. It was on Rose Bowl field and meeting those guys and talking to them really helped them stand out to me. Still have a framed picture of 8-9 y/o me and Kevin Battle. Good times

A couple that haven't been named

Football
- Derrick Steagall - first guy I remember rocking the visor at Tech
- Lethon Flowers
- Travares Tillman
- Jason Bostic

Basketball
- Dion Glover
- Gary Saunders
- Martice Moore

Both:
- CJ Williams - as a kid it was super cool he played football and basketball

Yep. Four-year starter at QB. ACC Rookie of the Year. Beat ranked Auburn teams twice. Upset #3 Miami on the road. Ranks #2 or #3 in many GT record books for QB's. Totally legit.
He is actually one of my favorites. He never quit, even when it seemed those around him did. His anchor is he never beat UGAg, but he fought hard each of the UGAg games. Our QB's in 51-7 looked absolutely frightened during the beat down.

A couple that haven't been named

Football
- Derrick Steagall - first guy I remember rocking the visor at Tech
- Lethon Flowers
- Travares Tillman
- Jason Bostic

Basketball
- Dion Glover
- Gary Saunders
- Martice Moore

Both:
- CJ Williams - as a kid it was super cool he played football and basketball
Glover would have been one of the best ever at GT if it weren't for the injuries. In high school, he was an incredible, dominant, player

My parents told me when I was three years old I would center my toy football saying, "I am Don Stephenson." In later childhood years I loved Kim King, Lennie Snow, Craig Baynham, John Sias, Johnny Gresham, Jim Breland and Smylie Gebhardt
They didn't come any better than Smylie Gebhardt...sad story on him. Some may not know that the PGA tour player Smylie Kaufman is named for him.

He is actually one of my favorites. He never quit, even when it seemed those around him did. His anchor is he never beat UGAg, but he fought hard each of the UGAg games. Our QB's in 51-7 looked absolutely frightened during the beat down.
He's not one of my favorites, though I respect any player that puts his body on the line for Tech.

We've had a couple of Robert Lavette and Jerry Mays mentions... both those guys deserve more mentions. Great players on not-great teams.

Mike Wysong, listed around 137 pounds. A tough DB, play wide receiver and even lined up at tight end for the late 60's early 70's team. The guy had talent and guts! Never forget him. Sadly passed away young.

Of course everyone loved Lethal Weapon 3 but man oh man ... Travis Best was one of the coolest players ever.

Football...pfffft...Joe Hamilton was a God back in college. When I was a kid, I'd have to say Brooking and Shawn Jones.

Back