What year will we make the CFP?

2025 is a legit chance for GT to make that jump to 9+ wins. GT finally stopped playing elite OOC teams to go along with uga.

@ Colorado
FCS Gardner-Webb
Temple
@ Boston College
@ Duke
Clemson
Pitt
@ NCSU
Syracuse
@ Wake
VT
UGA

2025 is a legit chance for GT to make that jump to 9+ wins. GT finally stopped playing elite OOC teams to go along with uga.

@ Colorado
FCS Gardner-Webb
Temple
@ Boston College
@ Duke
Clemson
Pitt
@ NCSU
Syracuse
@ Wake
VT
UGA
We could very well be undefeated for the Gagger game. If so, BDS@HF brought to you by Lexus will be lit TF up that day.

Win the ACC and we’re in. I’m not convinced that FSU’s success is sustainable without Jordan Travis, and Clemson is not the same, so the stars could very well align for us next year if we can piece together a competitive defense.

Side note- it’s a damn shame that we didn’t have a 12 team playoff in 2014. With how we were playing at the end of the season, I think we would’ve had a legit shot to win it all.

great point. We Matt not have been favored, but I guarantee nobody would have wanted to play us. We took the eventual national champs down to the wire in the ACC title game.

great point. We Matt not have been favored, but I guarantee nobody would have wanted to play us. We took the eventual national champs down to the wire in the ACC title game.
Wrong year. FSU beat Auburn for the 2013 final BCS MNC. FSU in 2014 was blown out by Oregon in the CFP semis Rose Bowl 59-20. tOSU blew out Oregon in the CFP MNC 42-20.

Stand corrected. Broader point remains.
And if you remember what started the push for a CFP was that garbage where Alabama-LSU played in the BCS MNC. That was the first time I ever boycotted watching a game. I was happy to see a CFP initially thinking it would somehow level the politics and bias.

When 4/5 conference commissioner’s + ND AD thought they could force a 6 team Playoff where every conference gets a bid + 1 at-large was proposed it was met with hesitation and propaganda. Any guess who didn’t agree to a 6 team CFP? You guessed it, Slive and the SEC. So somehow, someway, the 4 other conference commissioner’s caved and let Slive get his way of a 4 team only CFP. Everyone knew this CFP system would fail, but thought anything was better than the computers / BCS.

And in year 1 of the CFP, it failed. Remember what happened in 2014? tOSU who lost to a bad VT team on their home field managed to jump both TCU & Baylor after conference championship week with the excuse that the B12 didn’t play a Championship game. Do you remember why the B12 didn’t play a Championship game? It was because at the time the conference didn’t have enough programs after Texas’s greed having their own network caused TAMU and Mizzou to bolt for the SEC, along with Nebraska to the B1G, and Colorado to the P12.

And here we are in the final year of the 4 team CFP, and yet again the same type of scenario played out. FSU was left out even after going undefeated, passed over by 2 1 loss teams. And what conference again benefited from the CFP 4? I don’t even need to say it.

And now we head into the 12 team CFP in 2024. So instead of the SEC controlling all decisions, now it’s going to be the SEC & B1G overriding the other leagues going forward.

If you take this years standings, here would have been the CFP with conference expansion complete in 2024. Keep in mind, each conference champ will get a spot + highest ranked G5 champ.

Top 4 byes:

1. Michigan (B1G)
2. Washington (P12 new B1G program)
3. Texas (B12 new SEC program)
4. Alabama (SEC)

5. FSU (ACC) vs 12. Liberty (G5 at-large)
6. UGA (SEC) vs 11. Oklahoma State (B12 champs* projection since Texas is SEC)
7. tOSU (B1G) vs 10. PSU (B1G)
8. Oregon (P12 new B1G program) vs Mizzou (SEC)

So conference breakdown:

B1G - 5 (Michigan, Washington, tOSU, PSU, Oregon)
SEC - 4 (Alabama, Texas, UGA, Mizzou)
ACC - 1 (FSU)
B12 - 1 (Oklahoma State)
G5 - 1 (Liberty)

Do you see these numbers changing much going forward? I don’t. ACC or B12 may get a 2nd team every so often, but the CFP will continue to be an SEC / B1G invitational, which is a joke.

And if you remember what started the push for a CFP was that garbage where Alabama-LSU played in the BCS MNC. That was the first time I ever boycotted watching a game. I was happy to see a CFP initially thinking it would somehow level the politics and bias.

When 4/5 conference commissioner’s + ND AD thought they could force a 6 team Playoff where every conference gets a bid + 1 at-large was proposed it was met with hesitation and propaganda. Any guess who didn’t agree to a 6 team CFP? You guessed it, Slive and the SEC. So somehow, someway, the 4 other conference commissioner’s caved and let Slive get his way of a 4 team only CFP. Everyone knew this CFP system would fail, but thought anything was better than the computers / BCS.

And in year 1 of the CFP, it failed. Remember what happened in 2014? tOSU who lost to a bad VT team on their home field managed to jump both TCU & Baylor after conference championship week with the excuse that the B12 didn’t play a Championship game. Do you remember why the B12 didn’t play a Championship game? It was because at the time the conference didn’t have enough programs after Texas’s greed having their own network caused TAMU and Mizzou to bolt for the SEC, along with Nebraska to the B1G, and Colorado to the P12.

And here we are in the final year of the 4 team CFP, and yet again the same type of scenario played out. FSU was left out even after going undefeated, passed over by 2 1 loss teams. And what conference again benefited from the CFP 4? I don’t even need to say it.

And now we head into the 12 team CFP in 2024. So instead of the SEC controlling all decisions, now it’s going to be the SEC & B1G overriding the other leagues going forward.

If you take this years standings, here would have been the CFP with conference expansion complete in 2024. Keep in mind, each conference champ will get a spot + highest ranked G5 champ.

Top 4 byes:

1. Michigan (B1G)
4. Alabama (SEC)

So conference breakdown:

ACC - 1 (FSU)
B12 - 1 (Oklahoma State)
G5 - 1 (Liberty)

Do you see these numbers changing much going forward? I don’t. ACC or B12 may get a 2nd team every so often, but the CFP will continue to be an SEC / B1G invitational, which is a joke.

dude….have a drink on me and enjoy life for a few moments.

@ Colorado
FCS Gardner-Webb
Temple
@ Boston College
@ Duke
Clemson
Pitt
@ NCSU
Syracuse
@ Wake
VT
UGA
I see 12-0.

I used advanced mathematics to develop a model and determined that if we win the Gasparilla Bowl, we will go to the Playoff in 2026-2027 season. If we don't win the bowl, we will go to the Playoff in 2030-2031 season.

Top 4 byes:

1. Michigan (B1G)
4. Alabama (SEC)

So conference breakdown:

ACC - 1 (FSU)
B12 - 1 (Oklahoma State)
G5 - 1 (Liberty)

At least until they do away with auto bids.

The schedule in 2024 is harder than the ACC’s toughest schedule (GT) in 2023.

Teams dropping from the 2023 schedule in 2024:
Clemson (8-4) - L
Wake (4-8) - W
Boston College (6-6) - L
UVA (3-9) - W
Ole Miss - P4 OOC game. (10-2) - L

Teams added on the 2024 schedule:
FSU (13-0)
NCSU (9-3)
VT (6-6)
Duke (7-5)
ND - P4 OOC games replacing Ole Miss. (9-3)

ACC teams + uga from the 2023 schedule on the 2024 schedule:
Louisville (10-3) - L
UNC (8-4) - W
Miami (7-5) - W
Syracuse (6-6) - W
uga (12-1)

GT is dropping 3 of the bottom 5 teams in 2023 (Wake, UVA, BC) and getting NCSU, Duke, and VT instead. Swapping Ole Miss and ND is pretty much an even swap. Add in swapping Clemson with FSU. Another even swap.

In the easy OOC category swapping Georgia State (6-6) with BGSU (7-5) is also a wash with the caveat that it will be Georgia State’s Super Bowl. FCS swap out (South Carolina State with VMI) is the same.

So on paper, GT’s schedule is harder in 2024 vs 2023.

Thats going strictly by this year's won/loss record though. Thats not an honest tell of the tape. With what FSU is losing and how they looked with Rodemaker, do you think they're anywhere close to 13-0 good? Clemson was a 4 loss team this year and could have lost a few more & will lose a good bit as well. Duke, VaTech and NC State are no juggernauts, lol. Ugag is the only one out of those games I'd say our chances of winning is well below 50%.

I could certainly be wrong and we struggle to 6/7 wins again, but I think the pieces are in place to make a run out of it.

We’re in the playoffs within 5 years. I know that will upset some Tech purists who believe Tech should only strive to win 6 games per year with a breakout 8 every so often. And the Paul Johnson loyalists don’t want to believe anyone but CPJ can have a successful run at Tech.

Back