Who has seen the Univ. of Maryland billboard downtown?

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
Its on the downtown connector if you are heading north. The Univ. of Maryland thanks Atlanta and the Peach Bowl. Nice touch by someone.
BOO

That is a very nice touch. That's the first I've heard of that ever being done. That's one expensive "Thank you", but show's a real touch of class by UM.

It would be a "nicer touch", IMO, if it were not directly across from GT

Me thinks UM thanks Atlanta,the Peach Bowl and GT for giving them the Fridge. In your face!

Originally posted by FHstinger:
Me thinks UM thanks Atlanta,the Peach Bowl and GT for giving them the Fridge. In your face!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Agree - they couldn't be happier!

Okay I'll stir the pot for BEEWARE
tongue.gif

It's all Braine's fault... not only do they have all the best coaches in the Universe but they got the best PR dept.... If our head coach were MacWhorter and not Chan we'd be putting billboards up in College Park, MD..... blah, blah, blah... oh yeah and BO'B designs the best billboards in the country... the Fridge said so... and now look, not only do they have RF but they got BO'B too and now awesome billboards... we may as well go back to DIV 2 and be satisfied with flyers and bumper stickers because man oh man we could never make a billboard like that etc. etc. etc.
pat.gif

Casbah, that was funny!

Unless anyone here has seen another school do something like this, I am of the opinion that this must be some ribbing by the twerps. Did they pay for a bill board in Miami after the OB last year?
Even if its not ribbing, I hope our boys see it that way!

Originally posted by luckyjacket:
Even if its not ribbing, I hope our boys see it that way!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I bet they will, Lucky! I hope it stays up there till our game with them.

Dagnabbit! This is war, folks! I knowed dem twerp fans was no good the minute I laid eyes on 'em. I'm telling ya it's subterfuge!

Don't care whether it is or not. Still pisses me off.

Doesn't piss me off. I just see it as a thank you to Atlanta. They already own us in football now- they have nothing to gain by trying to tweak us.
BOO

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Doesn't piss me off. I just see it as a thank you to Atlanta. They already own us in football now- they have nothing to gain by trying to tweak us.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ghost, you may think of yourself as Ralph's bi-ch, I prefer to believe he's gotten lucky, but those days are over.

I was thinking more along the lines that Chan was Ralph's bitch....and I see no reason to expect that to change this year. Why do you?
BOO

The Fridge is a smart coach who understands college football...both on and off the field. Tech had a great opportunity to keep Ralph in Atlanta, but with so many things, was short-sighted.
BOO

BDG, how did Tech's short sightedness keep them from retaining RF? He wanted to be a head coach, his alma mater came acallin' and he accepted. When we had an opening, we offered him the world and his alma mater offered him a boatload. Explain where GT's short sights screwed this up?

GTechsta, you don't understand ghost. He is like beeware: if there a way to be negative about GT he will take it. He doesn't even understand why a Tech fan would like to be optimistic about next year's game with Md. This negativity is particularly acute when it comes to CG, who is not the first coach to lose a game to Friedgen, but is nonetheless his bitch.

Ralph was the highest paid ass't coach in the nation. What more could Braine do? You wanted him to make a side deal w/ Ralph on the merit that "George may leave for ND." George wasn't even on the A list. ND had been turned down about 3 times, then pursued George. You really think Ralph would have stayed as a puppet when his alma mater came after him and told them "no thanks Maryland." Hell, we don't know that if had George left a year before and we named Ralph HC, that he wouldn't have left to go to his alma mater anyway. You gotta come w/ better game than that. Your explanantion holds zero water.

BDG. You're talk about he and brain had to of known O'l was sniffing around ND is just speculation on your part. Seems to me you are drawing conclusion on something you really don't know about.

The truth of the matter is it was O'leary who helped his good friend Ralph to get the Maryland job. Helped get him his foot in the door. O'leary had worked hard with him trying to get him in the door other places before that as well.

All this about "sniffing" is your guess.

GT didn't want Ralph to go anywhere. It was COach O'leary who believes that his coaches should one day want to be head coaches. I don't fault O'leary for that. Ralph was the highest payed assis. coach in the country.

In my eyes Ralph is where he should be anyway. I'm not jealous like others seem to be. He is a Maryland Alum for gosh sakes. He's where his heart is.

I know exactly who the first call went too when we were looking for a new head coach. He's at Maryland for all the right reasons. I wish him well except when we line up against MD.

Good points. Maybe Tech was in a Catch 22. Ralph was the better coach than O'Leary, and Braine watched his best coach leave.
Same thing worries me about Danny Hall. Here is an excellent coach, running an excellent program. Soon, someone will try to pull him away from Tech. What will Braine do (or not do)?

BOO

Ralph had a long resume with Tech. He was both appreciative and loyal to Tech. He and Braine both had to have know that O'Leary was sniffing around Notre Dame for the past couple of years. Braine SHOULD have had several private discussions with Ralph confirming GT's commitment to him both financially and professionally. Braine SHOULD have promised him the head coaching job when it eventually opened up, and go ahead and pay him an attractive salary until that time. The logic here is that Ralph and family loved GT and Atlanta, he had waited a long time to head coach already(what would a year or 2 matter), and the commitment and support from GT would give him job security and the eventual head coaching position he wanted.
Braine did not make this happen. He sat by and watched a coaching genius leave the football program while his head coach flirted with ND. And don't say that Braine was blind-sided by O'Leary's departure. ND was surely getting ready to fire their coach at some point, and O'Leary had been mentioned for that job since our Gator Bowl match-up years earlier.
BOO

Back