Who Says The Option Doesnt Work In The SEeeeeccccc

Bryce Young threw 44 passes for 421 yards against the mutts.

Paul's offense threw 43 passes in the entire 2017 season.

Not sure if the offense would have looked better with TM throwing more. In fact, I am certain it would have looked much worse. Totally on CPJ that TM was a two year starter. That isn’t a knock on TM. He did what the team needed him to do.

Not sure if the offense would have looked better with TM throwing more. In fact, I am certain it would have looked much worse. Totally on CPJ that TM was a two year starter. That isn’t a knock on TM. He did what the team needed him to do.
Justin Thomas threw a whole lot more than TM.

I'd argue that the universe did everything it could to counter any QB or BB consistency between 2015-2018. TM was never supposed to be a QB. He was recruited (and played in 2015 as an AB), but we had like 4 other guys leave or get injured that were in the pipeline ahead of TM. Same kind of thing for BB. For example, Jaylend Ratliffe was supposed to be a better version of Vad Lee before he had a career ending ATV wreck.

I'd argue that the universe did everything it could to counter any QB or BB consistency between 2015-2018. TM was never supposed to be a QB. He was recruited (and played in 2015 as an AB), but we had like 4 other guys leave or get injured that were in the pipeline ahead of TM. Same kind of thing for BB. For example, Jaylend Ratliffe was supposed to be a better version of Vad Lee before he had a career ending ATV wreck.

Plus we had Yates coming in to be the qb. His running doesn't look super strong, but I think he would've been really interesting to see in the the offense.

Plus we had Yates coming in to be the qb. His running doesn't look super strong, but I think he would've been really interesting to see in the the offense.
I agree, 2019 would have been the first year we had a QB recruit starting at QB, and a returning BB (actually 2) at the core of the offense since like 2014. Not saying we would be bowling oranges, but I think with TO at QB and Mason/Howard at BB, Cottrell and Gantt at AB, Camp and Carter at WR, we would have been in a good spot. I really think CPJ just got tired of coaching after 40 years and wanted to be done.

I agree, 2019 would have been the first year we had a QB recruit starting at QB, and a returning BB (actually 2) at the core of the offense since like 2014. Not saying we would be bowling oranges, but I think with TO at QB and Mason/Howard at BB, Cottrell and Gantt at AB, Camp and Carter at WR, we would have been in a good spot. I really think CPJ just got tired of coaching after 40 years and wanted to be done.

The fanbase wanted him out. Most of this board was howling for it. He still was struggling to get funding for recruiting staff. I don't blame him.

He commented after Collins was hired and the recruiting budget went up and maybe he'd get the help he needed or wtte.

It's threads like these that show why Tech will never compete in today's CFB environment.
Maybe so, but Army has won 9 games and going to a bowl again. I suppose there are valid arguments forever about which offense to run, but it would be nice to be entertained by wins rather than stats about how often we did or didn't throw it.

No one says the option doesn't work in the SEC. Option-based runs are a huge part of most modern CFB offenses, and even a lot of NFL offenses. Most people would say that an offense consisting of only option-based runs doesn't work anymore, and Bama isn't doing that.

Of course, if you'll remember correctly, we weren't doing that towards the end either -- we didn't have the talent to actually run the option well so most of our plays were pre-decided runs.

I wonder how many players would have transferred out when Paul Johnson was hired under the new transfer waiver rule? I bet most of the talent base that led us to the 2008 UGA win and 2009 ACC Championship would have said Bye Felicia. It worked for a time, but times they are a changing.

Maybe so, but Army has won 9 games and going to a bowl again. I suppose there are valid arguments forever about which offense to run, but it would be nice to be entertained by wins rather than stats about how often we did or didn't throw it.

or stats about how many rushing yards we had. Ooops - doesn't fit the narrative!

GO ARMY
BEAT NAVY

And hopefully keeping winning 9 games, given your schedule!

Well, we hired Collins and he passes. How does that feel now?
I think it feels pretty bad for most programs when QB1 is out half the time. Has nothing to do with the offense.

I think it feels pretty bad for most programs when QB1 is out half the time. Has nothing to do with the offense.
Honestly Sims being out did hurt us a lot this season. We might have had two more wins. Boston College and NIU.

Honestly Sims being out did hurt us a lot this season. We might have had two more wins. Boston College and NIU.
With how he started off, NIU is a tossup imo. BC took a puncher's chance with the defense the way it was, which Sims definitely provides. I was thinking Clemson as the most likely win and maybe one of the other two.

Back