Who Says The Option Doesnt Work In The SEeeeeccccc

No one says the option doesn't work in the SEC. Option-based runs are a huge part of most modern CFB offenses, and even a lot of NFL offenses. Most people would say that an offense consisting of only option-based runs doesn't work anymore, and Bama isn't doing that.

Of course, if you'll remember correctly, we weren't doing that towards the end either -- we didn't have the talent to actually run the option well so most of our plays were pre-decided runs.
This 100%. Options and RPOs are all integrated into the modern offenses, even in the NFL. None of these offenses lines up with the QB under center with double wings and a dive back as their standard formation. PJs offense worked. There's no arguing against that. PJ's full commitment to an obsolete way of running and blocking the TO also turned away recruits. There's no denying that either. It was all-in on PJ and just accepting that we will be less talented than nearly every team we played. If PJ had just evolved rather than continue with something from 30 years ago I think we all would've been happy. He nearly did change when Vad Lee was here and went to shotgun with the diamond formation but that lasted just a few games and then he went back to his comfort zone.

I wonder how many players would have transferred out when Paul Johnson was hired under the new transfer waiver rule? I bet most of the talent base that led us to the 2008 UGA win and 2009 ACC Championship would have said Bye Felicia. It worked for a time, but times they are a changing.
We changed to meet the times 3 years ago. How's that working out?

This 100%. Options and RPOs are all integrated into the modern offenses, even in the NFL. None of these offenses lines up with the QB under center with double wings and a dive back as their standard formation. PJs offense worked. There's no arguing against that. PJ's full commitment to an obsolete way of running and blocking the TO also turned away recruits. There's no denying that either. It was all-in on PJ and just accepting that we will be less talented than nearly every team we played. If PJ had just evolved rather than continue with something from 30 years ago I think we all would've been happy. He nearly did change when Vad Lee was here and went to shotgun with the diamond formation but that lasted just a few games and then he went back to his comfort zone.

He was proved right in the sense of sticking to what you know instead of chasing what you don't. Not saying we need to go back to the flex, but I think finding someone who understands the concepts and can run out of a more modern formation may be the right approach. However, everyone does that, so maybe being unique is a difference maker.

I notice that the triple option is still around, but if it's modernized enough and don't draw attention to it, then announcers and others don't mention "that triple option thing". If you want triple option that's been modernized, or adjusted to a players you have - you really should hire Jamey Chadwell. At the heart of his offense is triple option but with the QB they have now, it doesn't look like it really. It just becomes that "fun offense" as the announcers call it. Or you could revive the Delaware Wing-T. Nobody will see that coming.

He was proved right in the sense of sticking to what you know instead of chasing what you don't. Not saying we need to go back to the flex, but I think finding someone who understands the concepts and can run out of a more modern formation may be the right approach. However, everyone does that, so maybe being unique is a difference maker.
This is why I really, really wanted Mike Leach here or one of his Air Raid disciples. It's quirky and different but still attractive to recruits because it's fun and the route trees, pass blocking and pass-first concepts all translate to the NFL. It's also fun for fans.

This is why I really, really wanted Mike Leach here or one of his Air Raid disciples. It's quirky and different but still attractive to recruits because it's fun and the route trees, pass blocking and pass-first concepts all translate to the NFL. It's also fun for fans.

For sure. I would've loved to have grabbed Patterson for the same reasons if we could've afforded him. I have a personal preference for Monken and the 3/o, but I recognize that for what it is. If air raid is a better path to success, then i 100% support that over a run-based offense.

There is Chris Hatcher. Played under Mike Leach at Valdosta State. Averaged 38 ppg last season and 40 the season before that. He can't pick a DC to save his career though. Even at 40 PPG he barely made it to .500. Has a losing record at 38 PPG. Would be better to have him as OC.

There is Chris Hatcher. Played under Mike Leach at Valdosta State. Averaged 38 ppg last season and 40 the season before that. He can't pick a DC to save his career though. Even at 40 PPG he barely made it to .500. Has a losing record at 38 PPG. Would be better to have him as OC.
Its possible that it's just difficult to have a good defense when your offense is so different than everyone else. CPJ could never find a good DC either. Perhaps the criticism that your defense cant get good practice reps versus a standard offense scout team is true?

Its possible that it's just difficult to have a good defense when your offense is so different than everyone else. CPJ could never find a good DC either. Perhaps the criticism that your defense cant get good practice reps versus a standard offense scout team is true?

Sure seems that way. If you Look at Chris's career, it almost forms a perfect bell curve at every stop. Seems to peak in year 3 before losing more than he wins, despite having healthy offensive stats. Now that I think of it, PJ had stout defenses at GS but at the time the Southern Conference was littered with TO teams, so the scout team tended to face the TO most of the time anyway.

I don't care what anybody says, it would have been a hell of a thing to see PJ's offense with any or all of the following.

1) higher rated talent
2) a regularly competent defense
3) a quarterback who could read the 3-o and sling the ball with normal consistency.

It had Nebraska-esque championships written all over it. The success we did experience was a display to just how effective PJ was with his system. Unfortunately we could never get it all in the same basket for various reasons.

Now, hopefully we can put something....anything at all back in the basket because it feels pretty empty.

Or it's a self fulfilling prophecy as it's tougher to recruit for it

Back