Who will be our first 2014 commit?

The GT brand isn't 'cool' which is moreso related to the students of the school than anything our football team has or hasn't done. The real problem seems to be that it is trending downwards with high schoolers, athletes or not, who want to go to the SEC.

I remember Gailey was criticized for not focusing enough on recruiting talent in the state. PJ came in and promptly made recruiting GA a priority.

Looks like it took awhile to finally realize Gailey might have had the right idea all along.

Let's face it. The GT brand sucks in the state of GA.

Which is why winning the uga game should be one of our highest priorities. That's not to say we don't care about it now, but it should be what is drilled into our players from day one of camp. With the SEC's shadow over all of college football, especially in the South, it is imperative to be competitive with the marquee SEC school on our schedule every year. Even in '08, when we actually won, we turned right back around and wasted that momentum by getting blown out by LSU. The loss in '09 in particular put the whole "We run this state" mantra into the minds of GA recruits, and I'm sure it played strongly in the classes they pulled in following that. I think it's fine now to look nationally to recruit, but we still need to build up our stock in-state. The recruiting grounds are too fertile here to just let everyone else have their run at it.

The GT brand isn't 'cool' which is moreso related to the students of the school than anything our football team has or hasn't done. The real problem seems to be that it is trending downwards with high schoolers, athletes or not, who want to go to the SEC.

GT brand is tied directly to CPJ who might be too old school for his own good imo...

Which is why winning the uga game should be one of our highest priorities. That's not to say we don't care about it now, but it should be what is drilled into our players from day one of camp. With the SEC's shadow over all of college football, especially in the South, it is imperative to be competitive with the marquee SEC school on our schedule every year. Even in '08, when we actually won, we turned right back around and wasted that momentum by getting blown out by LSU. The loss in '09 in particular put the whole "We run this state" mantra into the minds of GA recruits, and I'm sure it played strongly in the classes they pulled in following that. I think it's fine now to look nationally to recruit, but we still need to build up our stock in-state. The recruiting grounds are too fertile here to just let everyone else have their run at it.

LOL on winning the uga game simply by drilling in its importance to the players. I think you should refocus on the correct folks at Tech who can make that change.

GT brand is tied directly to CPJ who might be too old school for his own good imo...

I think that's only a small portion of it. I would think our academics, notorious lack of women, our intermittent national success, conference, and failures against uga play a role in it also.

I think that's only a small portion of it. I would think our academics, notorious lack of women, our intermittent national success, conference, and failures against uga play a role in it also.

Failure against ugag is about 70%, academics 25%, and conference maybe five. There are recruits that want to play in the SEC but Clemson, UNC, FSU, VT, and Miami usually pull in good players.

Failure against ugag is about 70%, academics 25%, and conference maybe five. There are recruits that want to play in the SEC but Clemson, UNC, FSU, VT, and Miami usually pull in good players.

f$u and miami can lean on a tradition built before the SEC was the hype machine it is today. vpi doesn't have any SEC competition remotely close for the in-state recruits it pulls in. Eh on unc. The recent scandals have shown us what their recruiting is really all about. clemmons has done well, but they have a FAR better record against SCar than we do against uga.

f$u and miami can lean on a tradition built before the SEC was the hype machine it is today. vpi doesn't have any SEC competition remotely close for the in-state recruits it pulls in. Eh on unc. The recent scandals have shown us what their recruiting is really all about. clemmons has done well, but they have a FAR better record against SCar than we do against uga.

A little over thirty years ago FSU and Miami were never heard of. The SEC has earned it's reputation and built it on the field. Their policies may be questionable but winners usually are. It is a little known fact that things in college football are not always the same. Some conference will supplant them for #1. Does GT/ACC grow a pair and find a way to beat them or just let the bully keep taking the lunch money?

A little over thirty years ago FSU and Miami were never heard of. The SEC has earned it's reputation and built it on the field. Their policies may be questionable but winners usually are. It is a little known fact that things in college football are not always the same. Some conference will supplant them for #1. Does GT/ACC grow a pair and find a way to beat them or just let the bully keep taking the lunch money?

If you read my first post in this thread, I agree with you that GT has to sack up and start winning, which will attract the recruits.

With that said, I don't think there has ever been a time when one conference had as strong a grip on the sport as the SEC does now. Tech, and the southern half of the ACC has the pleasure of overlapping with SEC country, and that is yet another hurdle to jump over. The schools you've mentioned have managed to get over that hurdle well enough for a number of reasons which I laid out earlier, but Tech is in a different boat due to the uniqueness of the Institute and our failures against uga.

The primary solution, as you said is to grow a pair and beat the SEC (though poor recruiting is a vicious cycle with regards to competing against the SEC/on a national level). The traditional powers outside of the SEC (f$u, OU, Texas, etc) are the likeliest to break up the current aura of hype around the SEC as they still are able to recruit around or at the same level as the SEC can. We can play our part by striving to compete with and beat uga.

If you read my first post in this thread, I agree with you that GT has to sack up and start winning, which will attract the recruits.

With that said, I don't think there has ever been a time when one conference had as strong a grip on the sport as the SEC does now. Tech, and the southern half of the ACC has the pleasure of overlapping with SEC country, and that is yet another hurdle to jump over. The schools you've mentioned have managed to get over that hurdle well enough for a number of reasons which I laid out earlier, but Tech is in a different boat due to the uniqueness of the Institute and our failures against uga.

The primary solution, as you said is to grow a pair and beat the SEC (though poor recruiting is a vicious cycle with regards to competing against the SEC/on a national level). The traditional powers outside of the SEC (f$u, OU, Texas, etc) are the likeliest to break up the current aura of hype around the SEC as they still are able to recruit around or at the same level as the SEC can. We can play our part by striving to compete with and beat uga.

Also, if you look at my first post that quoted you I wasn't saying you were wrong...just adding some opinion to what you wrote. :wink:

"Tech is in a different boat due to the uniqueness of the Institute and our failures against uga."

At some point Tech will be required to do something different on the football front.

I look at the ST tailgates and I see GT football doing something incredible. You have a very diverse group of people coming together and having a great time . It is really obvious that without GT and the football games these folks would likely never come together in their everyday lives. GT football brings together different races, nationalities, religions, graduates, students, and sidewalk fans in a way that I wouldn't believe possible. That is what is special about GT and GT football imo. That is what GT needs to find a way to market. You have to do some winning to make that happen though.

With that said, I don't think there has ever been a time when one conference had as strong a grip on the sport as the SEC does now.

The Big 10 in the 50s was just as big as the SEC is now. And probably the SW in the 60s.

With that said, I don't think there has ever been a time when one conference had as strong a grip on the sport as the SEC does now.

The Big 10 in the 50s was just as big as the SEC is now. And probably the SW in the 60s.

I am old enough to have been a fan of the SWC in the 60's barely. I don't ever remember it being this deep. They had 2 teams highly ranked, sometimes a 3rd would be decent, not 5 in the top 15 or 20.

I am old enough to have been a fan of the SWC in the 60's barely. I don't ever remember it being this deep. They had 2 teams highly ranked, sometimes a 3rd would be decent, not 5 in the top 15 or 20.

3/8 (if you include TT) ~= 5/14

Back