Who would do better at GT than Paul Johnson?

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
Serious question for the folks who want to can him. Give some names and list why you think they'd be able to recruit better (with the Hill limitations) and scheme better (obviously with inferior talent).

This argument was already had 6 years ago when people didn't want to fire Chan Gailey. You CANNOT be afraid of possibly moving backwards in your attempts to improve your current situation otherwise you'll never get to where you want to be. Period.

If you think Johnson has recruited to his full potential and coached to his full potential given the restrictions we have in place, then you have a point. But he hasn't. Really it hasn't even been close.

The school itself needs to be the first to make changes. And they need to be made immediately. Once that is done, the coaching needs to be addressed too because currently the coaching of this team is horrible. I repeat, HORRIBLE. So yes, I think we can do better but change needs to be made in two places and the coach is secondary to the school handicapping our athletics.

I don't know. Paul Johnson is a good football coach, but he has had a number of things go badly. Self-safetying, missed kicks, dropped returns, etc lost us so many games. He also lost so many key assistants. Monken was huge for our early success. I guess Spencer was too seeing as how the line has faltered under Sewak. We have also been so close on a number of key recruits that slipped away. Flip a few of those incidents and we might not be having this conversation.

I can't think of anyone who would do better here. I guess for next year we can dump Sewak and hire an OL coach with knowledge of the TO but who can also teach pass blocking. That might be the difference right there. Who knows.

This argument was already had 6 years ago when people didn't want to fire Chan Gailey. You CANNOT be afraid of possibly moving backwards in your attempts to improve your current situation otherwise you'll never get to where you want to be. Period.

If you think Johnson has recruited to his full potential and coached to his full potential given the restrictions we have in place, then you have a point. But he hasn't. Really it hasn't even been close.

The school itself needs to be the first to make changes. And they need to be made immediately. Once that is done, the coaching needs to be addressed too because currently the coaching of this team is horrible. I repeat, HORRIBLE. So yes, I think we can do better but change needs to be made in two places and the coach is secondary to the school handicapping our athletics.

Couldn't have said it better

Name names, not excuses. I'm willing to throw my support behind a new guy, as long as a new guy isn't simply "the new guy".

Serious question for the folks who want to can him. Give some names and list why you think they'd be able to recruit better (with the Hill limitations) and scheme better (obviously with inferior talent).

i hate to break it to you, but Chan did better his last 4 years than paul has. And the last 4 years is a sign of program direction and "getting your players in"

Oh and he recruited better

As sad as it is, Chan, who was not good enough in my eyes and the schools, has done better than Paul the last 4 years, and equal overall.

So if chan can do better than paul in 4 year trend, and chan was fired, then paul should be fired and we can find someone who can do better than both.

I am not worried about it. We can find better. Is it an easy answer no, but we can find better than paul.

Who? Not sure. I would love to see something like a oklahoma state, oregon, auburn or baylor offense here. Its a hybrid of proset and option. I think you can recruit to it, and I think it works. Tempo works.

Paul is antiquated. Period.

I don't think Scott Frost would do well here. Possibly a OC from one of the schools above other than Frost? Maybe a guy from the MAC who has shown a good trend doing this. Is the NIU coach good enough? Not sure. Maybe.

Screw it, make Paul Johnson offensive coordinator/offensive line coach and promote Roof to HC/DC. I think PJ would do great thinking only about offense and getting his hands dirty.

Screw it, make Paul Johnson offensive coordinator/offensive line coach and promote Roof to HC/DC. I think PJ would do great thinking only about offense and getting his hands dirty.

Paul just needs to go....but promoting Roof might be a good transition.

u still have recruiting issues with his scheme and scheme issues we see don't work

that doesn't solve much IMO.

A list of names is meaningless. The next head coach will be Ted Roof if and when PJ is replaced. Whether that is a good or bad thing is the real debate.

I'm in the keep-CPJ camp but I think this is (or can be) an interesting discussion. I agree with BOR (admin changes are needed for us to succeed regardless of coach) but for the purposes of this discussion I'll throw a few names out there.

I'd say Monken is one who could survive here. I would've said O'Brien but he was clearly NFL bound at some point. If we're talking pie-in-the-sky I'd say Stanford's Shaw.

O'Leary was on his way out due to growing tired of battling with the admin and, if you believe 33jacket and others, things grew more strict after he left. IOW he's no longer one I think would survive here.

Name names, not excuses. I'm willing to throw my support behind a new guy, as long as a new guy isn't simply "the new guy".

What excuses have been made? I think we can do better than what Paul Johnson has performed over the last 4 seasons. I'm not the AD and I don't have time to scour for quality candidates nor should any fan be expected too. If the GTAA wants to pay me to come in there and fix this mess, I'll be happy to give it a shot.

But before we decide to try a different flavor as coach, I think GT as a whole, Institute, support for Athletics, the academia, need to get their öööö together and decide what kind of team do we want.

If that has already been decided, then I'm not sure we can improve much on where we are, but I think we can improve some. Regardless, if GT the school doesn't change the way they view their athletic programs, I am done supporting them as well. I have been a supporter, contributor and season ticket holder for 20+ years. Until I see marked changes by the administration, I'm done supporting a program that they keep limiting the product's possible value. They expect you to invest competitive dollars for their product, but what they don't tell you is that they aren't supporting that product like the competition. We cannot keep operating this way. Period.

Bud Petersen needs to make an effort to be very clear on the direction of GT athletics and Bobinsky needs to crawl out of the nice cocoon he's created down at the GTAA and start speaking up for the direction of the athletic program.

i hate to break it to you, but Chan did better his last 4 years than paul has. And the last 4 years is a sign of program direction and "getting your players in"

Oh and he recruited better

As sad as it is, Chan, who was not good enough in my eyes and the schools, has done better than Paul the last 4 years, and equal overall.

So if chan can do better than paul in 4 year trend, and chan was fired, then paul should be fired and we can find someone who can do better than both.

I am not worried about it. We can find better. Is it an easy answer no, but we can find better than paul.

Who? Not sure. I would love to see something like a oklahoma state, oregon, auburn or baylor offense here. Its a hybrid of proset and option. I think you can recruit to it, and I think it works. Tempo works.

Paul is antiquated. Period.

I don't think Scott Frost would do well here. Possibly a OC from one of the schools above other than Frost? Maybe a guy from the MAC who has shown a good trend doing this. Is the NIU coach good enough? Not sure. Maybe.

I think saying Gailey did better because he won 2-6 games more over 4 years is really pretty meaningless. Neither has been or was "successful".

I don't think any good coach will come to GT after seeing what has happened to Braine, Gailey, DRad, and Johnson...unless there are some drastic changes in the program. Anybody here have confidence the new AD can get the necessary changes or will even attempt to?

All I want is some names. Changing everything else (The Hill, the GTAA, the academic offerings) goes without saying and would clearly help Paul Johnson as well. I said after the third straight loss to UGA that I would support changing the direction of the team.

Names. That's it. Names.

Bud Petersen needs to make an effort to be very clear on the direction of GT athletics and Bobinsky needs to crawl out of the nice cocoon he's created down at the GTAA and start speaking up for the direction of the athletic program.

Where in the hell is Bob anyways? I haven't heard a word on his plans as our new AD...

All I want is some names. Changing everything else (The Hill, the GTAA, the academic offerings) goes without saying and would clearly help Paul Johnson as well. I said after the third straight loss to UGA that I would support changing the direction of the team.

Names. That's it. Names.

What's the point of naming names? Help me understand the excerise? Are you saying that we cannot do better than Paul Johnson or replacing him is futile?

Back