Why the Benz?

beej67

new around here
Sorry for the newbie question. I'm new to GT football and haven't seen a game in 2 years, and someone gave me some free tickets. Why is this game not at BDS? I guess when you're as bad as we are home field advantage really doesn't matter?

GTBenz.jpeg

Sorry for the newbie question. I'm new to GT football and haven't seen a game in 2 years, and someone gave me some free tickets. Why is this game not at BDS? I guess when you're as bad as we are home field advantage really doesn't matter?
Since nobody else will give you a serious answer, it's something that TStan worked out a couple of years ago, supposedly to get us more exposure. I think it's a 5 year deal. We were supposed to play ND there last year, but that got cancelled. TStan and somebody in the ACC worked it out to play UNC there this year. Getting more exposure has turned out to be bogus though, since the game will be on the ACC Network, which not many markets get.

People bitching about lack of amenities at BDS. BDS will never have the amenities that MBS has. Both are great places to watch sporting events so enjoy.

Georgia Tech made $2.85 Million from their game at their 2017 Mercedes-Benz game with Tennessee. From that you can estimate that Georgia Tech will be making somewhere between $10 – $15 Million for moving a series of games less than 3 miles from their home stadium.

GEORGIA TECH HOME GAMES AT MERCEDES-BENZ STADIUM
2021 – Sept. 25 vs. North Carolina
2022 – Sept. 5 vs. Clemson (Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game)
2023 – Sept. 2 vs. Louisville (Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game)
2024 – Oct. 19 vs. Notre Dame
2025 – TBA
2026 – TBA

When last season’s home game versus Notre Dame was moved from MBS to Bobby Dodd Stadium due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Tech athletics was able to add an extra year to the agreement, giving the Yellow Jackets six-straight annual home games at MBS from 2021-26.

Nothing like moving a game out of your home stadium to another stadium for exposure, then having to tarp off half of that stadium because you don't have enough fans to fill it.

It’s a brilliant marketing move and revenue driver, and I’m pretty pumped to go to the game this weekend. BDS hasn’t been overly exciting this year, this might actually put some butts in seats. TStan and team have shown that they’re able to think outside the box to meet the #1 goal: revenue. I applaud them. The fact that so many Tech fans belittle this is indicative of our stodgy, outdated and diminishing fan base.

If I was the AD, I’d attack this like a business where everything’s on the table - what do we need to do to get back into the black? Y’all should be thankful that we have someone with that vision, we’re not that far from insolvency.

CFB Fans that are more savvy would realize that being in a Top10 Media Market and having extremely close access to a World Class Facility that Hosts Super Bowl(s), CFP Games and Other Championship Level Sports event is Huge Plus for GT FB

In order to move forward as a Major Program we have to embrace being in a Major Media Market and doing the kinds of things that CFB Programs in Major Media Markets do

Rather than sit outdoors in potentially bad Weather, I wouldn't mind seeing the uga vs GT Game played at MBS when we are the Home Team

At this point we need 'Croots more than we need out-dated Tradition that very few Fans care about and even less Recruits Care about

Us GT Fans have had over a Century to love our FB Program and show how much we care about it, and that has been a massive failure, now the Powers that Be are moving forward by trying to grow our Fanbase among Local CFB Fans that don't have connections to the School (which is how everyone else does it)

We are trying to be Atlanta's preferred CFB Team, then hopefully the State's preferred CFB Team

You gotta have FAITH and trust in ADTS's vision for GT FB

IMO this should've been done after we fired Gailey, but we blew it and decided to play "small ball" (CBK's phrase - small ball that is)

$$$$$$$$$$$

How do we make more money if the stadium is not very full?

How is it more profitable to leave an on campus stadium you own to play a mile away at a stadium you don't own?

We will be playing in a red stadium wearing blue uniforms. How does that make Tech Have a greater home field advantage and a recognisable look?

I have a lot of fond memories with relatives of games at Grant Field. I hope we win and that this helps recruiting, but I'm sentimental about Grant Field.

CFB Fans that are more savvy would realize that being in a Top10 Media Market and having extremely close access to a World Class Facility that Hosts Super Bowl(s), CFP Games and Other Championship Level Sports event is Huge Plus for GT FB

In order to move forward as a Major Program we have to embrace being in a Major Media Market and doing the kinds of things that CFB Programs in Major Media Markets do

Rather than sit outdoors in potentially bad Weather, I wouldn't mind seeing the uga vs GT Game played at MBS when we are the Home Team

At this point we need 'Croots more than we need out-dated Tradition that very few Fans care about and even less Recruits Care about

Us GT Fans have had over a Century to love our FB Program and show how much we care about it, and that has been a massive failure, now the Powers that Be are moving forward by trying to grow our Fanbase among Local CFB Fans that don't have connections to the School (which is how everyone else does it)

We are trying to be Atlanta's preferred CFB Team, then hopefully the State's preferred CFB Team

You gotta have FAITH and trust in ADTS's vision for GT FB

IMO this should've been done after we fired Gailey, but we blew it and decided to play "small ball" (CBK's phrase - small ball that is)

Lol. Yes because teams in major media markets who play in pro stadiums have a strong track record of success and growing the fanbase. Derp.

Oh wait, no that's actually completely ass backwards and every program who has done this (shared stadiums) has realized nothing takes the place of an on-campus stadium. Show me a successful program that decides that tradition deserves to be ööööted on to grow the fan base. Without winning, tradition is the only thing college football has to offer. Without tradition, college football is garbage.

The only argument that holds water in this thread is that it somehow creates excitement for the kids which will bring in recruits. I'll accept that as a subjective argument but I reserve the right to have the opinion that it is highly laughable that its is some kind of deal breaker with any recruit worth a damn. Unless we are filling MBS with more than 55,000, playing UNC makes absolutely no sense other than fulfilling our contractual obligation to pay MBS rent to use their facility.

Now, we will likely make more money when we host Clemson and Notre Dame, by trading a home game for what is essentially a neutral site bowl game. If that's what we arguably need to do for solvency, fine, but get the hell out of it when the winning starts and the money is healthy. If the winning doesn't start then we gained absolutely nothing but a hamstrung continuation of a losing program, to sell some seats to opposing fans.

If we were in Statesboro or Dalton or Macon, playing a game in MBS would make a lot of sense. We're already in ööööing Atlanta lol.

Faith or trust? F no. That has to be earned. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Go Jackets!

Back