Why the Citrus Bowl in 1990

Here is the complete and truthful answer from a widely hated, self proclaimed CFB expert, that would be me:

The Bowls at that Time had Conference tie-ins, the loophole exception was that IF Noter Dame(sic) was ranked at a certain Level that gave that Bowl a chance to help decide the MNC then that Bowl could choose ND over a deserving "at large Team"( usually the highest ranked team still available) , mind you this loophole was never, ever , thought about being used because ND would never jump a Team with CFB pedigree like a Penn State that was independent at that time, same goes for Miami, also an independent, maybe Pitt another Independent

The ACC Champ never had a Bowl Tie-In at that time (IIRC), the ACC Champ would just go to whatever Bowl gave them the highest ranked opponent and best chance to win a MNC (once again, a crappy Job from the ACC Commissioner's Office to the detriment of ACC FB)

Our situation was effed up because, the Orange Bowl fooked it up for everyone in CFB, we were supposed to play Big 8 Champ Colorado as the highest ranked at-large Team to set up a 1 vs 1 MNC showdown of #1 Teams from 2 different Polls at that Time, remember there was no playoff formula and combing polls to come up with 1 "index" to determine which Teams played in which Bowls

The only Bowl that was fully locked in was the Rose Bowl:

Pac-10 Champ vs B1G Ten Champ.

Next was the Cotton:

SWC Conference Champ vs. "highest ranked at-large Team"

Then Sugar:

SEC Champ vs. " highest ranked at-large Team"

Then Orange:

Big 8 Champ vs " highest ranked at-large Team"

For example, if Bama was #1 at the end of the season and was SEC Champ, a Team like Penn State would choose the Sugar assuming they were the next highest ranked Team not a Conference Champ and locked into another Bowl, this was because playing a #1 ranked Bama Team would give them the best chance at a MNC.

The same would occur for all the Bowls , not the Rose.

This "Gentlemen's Agreement" was supposed to create the best matchups giving fans the best shot at 1 Champ, but often there were 2 Champs due to the Rose being locked in.

The Orange Bowl got greedy and jumped the gun and fooked everything up and promised the Orange Bowl bid to ND sometime around Halloween, because they expected us to lose at some point, they expected ND to win out, and because they wanted more Fans and better TV ratings for the Orange Bowl and they thought ND would give them just that, remember tbe NCAA had no control over Bowl Committees, the NCAA could only ban Teams from going to Bowls and Players that signed with Agents too early from playing in Bowls, but no control over the fairness & integrity of which Team got which slots (yet another reason to hate the NCAA)

Had Clemson won the ACC and was Co-#1 , they would have invited Clemson to play Colorado, at that time GT FB came out of nowhere we just didn't have the National respect to get treated fairly by the Orange Bowl Committee.

Back in that Era of CFB, if you had a great Season and weren't a "factory" you would probably get fair treatment if you had a second great season, the power structure back then just didn't reward Teams that came out of nowhere (just my guess ).

This major screw up by the OB is what led to the creation of the BCS -- that way the azzholes in polyester blazers that ran Bowl Committees couldn't embarrass CFB any more, and cheat deserving Teams.

Some of my details might be slightly off, but I'm pretty close to giving you the accurate history, maybe some one else has more insider Info?

Here is the complete and truthful answer from a widely hated, self proclaimed CFB expert, that would be me:

The Bowls at that Time had Conference tie-ins, the loophole exception was that IF Noter Dame(sic) was ranked at a certain Level that gave that......

The ACC Champ never had a Bowl Tie-In at that time (IIRC), the ACC Champ would just go to whatever Bowl gave them the highest ranked opponent and best chance to win a MNC (once again, a crappy Job from the ACC Commissioner's Office to the detriment of ACC FB)

Some of my details might be slightly off, but I'm pretty close to giving you the accurate history, maybe some one else has more insider Info?

Agree on the crappy job by ACC Commissioner, but the ACC Champ was tied to the Citrus bowl. There was little to no power for the Citrus to be able to get a higher rated opponent and per 'PressMan's' notes about the bowl's picking order the Citrus was low man on the list. playing against GT was a ranking of #16 at the beginning of Nov and not getting to #2 until the beatdown of uga Nov. 24. We got little consideration nor respect going into bowl match-ups and no one was willing to try to help us escape the Citrus match-up. The media was firmly biased against us as a contender for National Champion and until they hammered Nebraska.

Please excuse the double post above, I am still navigating the options to make a quote and reply.

Bowl contracts.

ACC champion to Citrus.
Big 8 to Orange.
SEC to Sugar.
Big/Pac to Rose.
SWC to Cotton.

At Large for opponents.
Correct....From the 1987 season through the 1991 season, the bowl featured the ACC champion against an at-large opponent. FWIW ACC teams were 3–2 during those games.

I seem to remember that if Tech had gotten to #4 or under #4 in the rankings by a certain date in November, then they could have skipped the Citrus and play somewhere else, or that the Orange Bowl would have had to take them....

I seem to remember that if Tech had gotten to #4 or under #4 in the rankings by a certain date in November, then they could have skipped the Citrus and play somewhere else, or that the Orange Bowl would have had to take them....
I think that's a little off.

The Orange Bowl already had the co-#1 Team in Colorado due to a Big8 tie-in, no matter how undeserving they were.

The Orange Bowl Committee had a "duty" to CFB and to CFB Fans to let things play out and WAIT and invite GT to create a True MNC Game, they got greedy and jumped the gun and invited ND around Halloween.

If the NCAA had any balls they would have demanded that every Employee of the Orange Bowl Committee be fired or else all Teams would be banned from playing in the OB, thus putting it out of business for all intents & purposes.

No way should the OB Committee be able to screw up like that with no Penalty at all!

IMO , what the OB did was 10,000 times worse than what SMU did and they got the Death Penalty, no way should a Org. like the NCAA sit back and allow entities that affect the Integrity of Selecting a Champion screw up and avoid any penalties. (yet another reason to say fook the NCAA)

GT being ranked #4 by a certain date was not a variable at all, "theoretically" the Bowls were supposed to WAIT until all the Rivalry Weekend Games were played, remember there were no Conf-CGs back then.

Can't believe our School Prez or Athl Dept didn't sue or threaten to sue or anything, we just sat back and got treated like crap and accepted our fate?

We're GT , we can take it, with no lube at all........

I think that's a little off.

The Orange Bowl already had the co-#1 Team in Colorado due to a Big8 tie-in, no matter how undeserving they were.

The Orange Bowl Committee had a "duty" to CFB and to CFB Fans to let things play out and WAIT and invite GT to create a True MNC Game, they got greedy and jumped the gun and invited ND around Halloween.

If the NCAA had any balls they would have demanded that every Employee of the Orange Bowl Committee be fired or else all Teams would be banned from playing in the OB, thus putting it out of business for all intents & purposes.

No way should the OB Committee be able to screw up like that with no Penalty at all!

IMO , what the OB did was 10,000 times worse than what SMU did and they got the Death Penalty, no way should a Org. like the NCAA sit back and allow entities that affect the Integrity of Selecting a Champion screw up and avoid any penalties. (yet another reason to say fook the NCAA)

GT being ranked #4 by a certain date was not a variable at all, "theoretically" the Bowls were supposed to WAIT until all the Rivalry Weekend Games were played, remember there were no Conf-CGs back then.

Can't believe our School Prez or Athl Dept didn't sue or threaten to sue or anything, we just sat back and got treated like crap and accepted our fate?

We're GT , we can't take it, with no lube at all........
Shut up, WrecksNEffect.

Correct....From the 1987 season through the 1991 season, the bowl featured the ACC champion against an at-large opponent. FWIW ACC teams were 3–2 during those games.
I had no idea about the tie-in with the Citrus, I was confused because after the 81 season, Clemson beat Nebraska in the Orange Bowl led by Homer Jordan from Athens, a Guy Vince the Prince refused to recruit at QB because he didn't want to upset "the Guys behind the scenes"

What kind of Conference Commissioner negotiates for your Conference Champ to play in the Citrus Bowl and doesn't get fired the next day?

[

I hate that you got it wrong but, hey, it happens:
[/QUOTE]
I was wrong about Firing the ACC Commissioner, he should've been jailed like that Guy in the Count of Monte Cristo for negotiating that garbage.

Thanks for that article, I appreciate it, it clarified things for me.

Based on that Article:
- If the ACC champion is ranked No. 1 in 1988 or 1990, it must play in the Citrus Bowl. If it is ranked second, third or fourth and has a chance to play the No. 1 team at the Cotton, Sugar or Orange Bowls, it can exercise its escape clause.

We should have been able to exercise our "escape clause" since were #2 in the Final UPI Poll (aka Coach's Poll) on Dec 3rd, the escape claue would have allowed us the Chance to play #1 Colorado in the Orange Bowl, but their Committee jumped the gun and gave ND the bid around Halloween.

We hit #3 on Nov 19th plenty of Time for the OB to give us our "respect", but they had already given the nod to the ND

Sorry the deets were wrong, but the part about being locked out by a rogue OB Committee was correct, we were unable to exercise our "escape clause"

I'll try to attach a screen grab of the Last Reg Season UPI Poll if I can
Screenshot_20211020-101643.png

Imo, Miami may have been better than both teams.

They lost to teams with God on their side - the Mormons and the Catholics.

Also, Colorado also lost to the Catholics unless you can find me a clipping call on Rocket's TD return.

Dead QB who had been dating the coach's daughter and they had lost out the season before in the bowl game. It was a feel good story. We lost the AP by one vote.
He did more than "date" the coach's daughter.

1634757542540.png

The Orange Bowl made their deal on Nov 12 with the #1 and #2 teams and all parties were giddy except ND. They liked to spread their greatness around and had beaten colorado the year before in the Orange Bowl (which also brought in the revenge factor). Invitations couldn't go out for another couple of weeks but, again, the deal was already done. We were #5 at the time and, as you can see, had a 6 - 2 team ranked above us. A lot happened in the next few weeks and basically the Orange Bowl screwed everybody out of seeing a 1 vs 2 by jumping the gun.

As far as the final vote, we all know the common opponent was Nebraska and we know what their coach thought of us compared to colorado. There was a one-off opponent with the only team that OFFICIALLY beat colorado. Illinois beat them in the regular season and Clemson destroyed Illinois in their bowl game. It's also well-known about their struggles with 2 losing teams that season (Missouri and Stanford) and how they needed help from the officials to win both of those.

Imo, Miami may have been better than both teams.

They lost to teams with God on their side - the Mormons and the Catholics.

Also, Colorado also lost to the Catholics unless you can find me a clipping call on Rocket's TD return.

That was the Miami team that showed up to the Cotton Bowl in camouflage....and then just wore Texas TF out.

Back