Why the Citrus Bowl in 1990

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
Couldn't remember if there was a tear jerking spawn involved.
I think Aunese knocked her up.
Had a friend of mine who every time he was about to hook up with some strange, would call another buddy and just say "Aunese" and hang up. That was the code word for what was about to transpire.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
There was a tie in with the Citrus for the ACC champ. If the champ was rated #1 or 2 they could get out of it but we were number 4 at the time the die was cast.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I could not help but notice in the final poll - no Bama, no UGA. Our location hurts us - how do you recruit well in an area surrounded by Alabama and Georgia, as good as they have been the last twenty years? Is it a coincidence that we won a national championship when Alabama and Georgia were down? Collins does a great job playing up our positives - great city, great opportunities, great talent pool nearby, etc. But, the reality is that it is hard for a program like ours to thrive when we are surrounded by three programs eating up the lion's share of five star and top 100 talent in Clemson, Bama, and UGA, no to mention a second tire of programs close by the quality of Auburn, Tennessee and Florida.

1990 was like a dream. I never thought I would see it. But, the landscape has changed dramatically since then. It is even harder to imagine getting the players we need to have success at the highest level until there is some decline in these programs around us.

ThatsWhatUrMomSaid

Benevolent Dictator
I could not help but notice in the final poll - no Bama, no UGA. Our location hurts us - how do you recruit well in an area surrounded by Alabama and Georgia, as good as they have been the last twenty years? Is it a coincidence that we won a national championship when Alabama and Georgia were down? Collins does a great job playing up our positives - great city, great opportunities, great talent pool nearby, etc. But, the reality is that it is hard for a program like ours to thrive when we are surrounded by three programs eating up the lion's share of five star and top 100 talent in Clemson, Bama, and UGA, no to mention a second tire of programs close by the quality of Auburn, Tennessee and Florida.

1990 was like a dream. I never thought I would see it. But, the landscape has changed dramatically since then. It is even harder to imagine getting the players we need to have success at the highest level until there is some decline in these programs around us.
You could make this same argument for Cincinnati (currently #2 and 6-0) with factories like Ohio State (#5), Michigan (#6), Penn State (#7), and Notre Dame (#15) poaching their area and traditionally next tier Michigan State (#9), Kentucky (#15), Pitt (#23), and West Virginia also in their back yard. Tech can get players that can compete at a high level by stressing the qualities Collins has. If coaching and game day strategy somehow become a step ahead, this program can catch fire again, too.

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd

Alabama and UGA weren't necessarily "down"

We had Coaches that knew how to Recruit, that kept them from pulling away from us talent wise

Coleman Rudolph from Valdosta was a key pickup from S GA

The Top2 QBs in the State 2 years prior were Charlie Ward and Shawn Jones, FSU got Ward and won a Heisman and maybe a MNC and we got Jones and won a MNC when he was a RS-Fr.

Compare that scenario above to the prior 11 years, when Lawrence & Fields were the Top2 HS QBs in GA, (or DeShaun Watson) with the previous HC we had ZERO chance to land a Top 5 QB in GA like we did 30 years ago, in fact after Shawn Jones , we got Todd Rampley that was a Top4 QB in GA coming out of HS.

Back then we were routinely "in play" or Top5 GA HS Players at their respective positions , except for DLs.

When we Recruited like that in-State it automatically kept UGA, Bama, Clemson, Aubie, Tennessee and our traditional rivals "within reach"

Bill Lewis set us back, obviously, but then GOL righted the ship, then Chan had to learn the P5 College Game, then we he figured it out, we cut bait on Chan, and then the gap in Talent started to really widen during, "those 11 years" .

Our behind the scenes Power Brokers that assist in key decisions about our FB Program just aren't as smart as the Programs that we compete against (IMO).

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Pressman is correct with his analysis. To make it shorter here it is - the ACC has been run by morons for decades. That’s your answer as to why. Everyone has known and still knows they can run roughshod over the ACC with zero response. See the College World Series as the latest example. It’s exactly the same thinking as to why the Orange Bowl did what they did - they laugh at the ACC.

And GT has been on the receiving end of the ACC’s idiocy way more than any benefit we’ve received. The day we leave or it implodes I’ll have a cold coke over ice with a big ole smile.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
You could make this same argument for Cincinnati (currently #2 and 6-0) with factories like Ohio State (#5), Michigan (#6), Penn State (#7), and Notre Dame (#15) poaching their area and traditionally next tier Michigan State (#9), Kentucky (#15), Pitt (#23), and West Virginia also in their back yard. Tech can get players that can compete at a high level by stressing the qualities Collins has. If coaching and game day strategy somehow become a step ahead, this program can catch fire again, too.
But . . . THE HILL!!!

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Pressman is correct with his analysis. To make it shorter here it is - the ACC has been run by morons for decades. That’s your answer as to why. Everyone has known and still knows they can run roughshod over the ACC with zero response. See the College World Series as the latest example. It’s exactly the same thinking as to why the Orange Bowl did what they did - they laugh at the ACC.

And GT has been on the receiving end of the ACC’s idiocy way more than any benefit we’ve received. The day we leave or it implodes I’ll have a cold coke over ice with a big ole smile.
OR the ACC goes as GT goes and we’ve been not much often?

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Nebraska played and lost to Colorado in 1990. After the Citrus Bowl, Nebraska coach Tom Osborne said that Georgia Tech was the best team in the country. That - and Colorado's loss, and Colorado's 5th down should-have-been loss, and the bogus call on Rocket's kick return TD - should have been enough for the idiots in the sports press to have voted Tech number one.

Also, as much as many Tech fans may hate Mack Brown, Mack Brown voted Georgia Tech #1 in the final coaches poll and it turns out his was a key vote to Tech winning that poll. And ever since then, Brown was insisted that Tech was #1 that year.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Nebraska played and lost to Colorado in 1990. After the Citrus Bowl, Nebraska coach Tom Osborne said that Georgia Tech was the best team in the country. That - and Colorado's loss, and Colorado's 5th down should-have-been loss, and the bogus call on Rocket's kick return TD - should have been enough for the idiots in the sports press to have voted Tech number one.

Also, as much as many Tech fans may hate Mack Brown, Mack Brown voted Georgia Tech #1 in the final coaches poll and it turns out his was a key vote to Tech winning that poll. And ever since then, Brown was insisted that Tech was #1 that year.
That and Colorado lost to Illinois who lost to Clemson who lost to us, iirc

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat

But it has never been about who was best. It’s who they want to give the love to. Because GT is located in “Hicksville” the media was never going to give us a fair vote. They were going to go with Colorado all day long which they did. And many other teams have been hosed in the past 31 years. And most of the GT fan posters on this board have agreed with it and that blows my mind. I would think GT fans would pull for the little guy but they don’t. That’s why I can’t wait until the playoffs expand to 20 plus teams. That will be the first time a true champ will be crowned. All these other scenarios of 8 teams or 12 teams will still screw the little guy as the power brokers (who many here claim to hate) will still pick those teams based on power and name.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Not sure which GT fans you are referring to who don't pulls for the little guy, and which teams you're saying have been hosed.

Personally, I thought UCF got hosed. Ditto Boise State, who has probably been screwed more than anyone. From what I'm hearing, they're gearing up to screw Cinci this year, too.

Watching the playoff selection committee make its picks behind closed doors is reallty no different to me than watching the Olympics in the 1970s when the Russian judges would give the Russians, East Germans, etc. a 6.0 while marking down American athletes. Same kind of beauty contest; same kind of total bias. It's not a fair system and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And yeah, that's probably why we got screwed in 1990.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Not sure which GT fans you are referring to who don't pulls for the little guy, and which teams you're saying have been hosed.

Personally, I thought UCF got hosed. Ditto Boise State, who has probably been screwed more than anyone. From what I'm hearing, they're gearing up to screw Cinci this year, too.

Watching the playoff selection committee make its picks behind closed doors is reallty no different to me than watching the Olympics in the 1970s when the Russian judges would give the Russians, East Germans, etc. a 6.0 while marking down American athletes. Same kind of beauty contest; same kind of total bias. It's not a fair system and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And yeah, that's probably why we got screwed in 1990.
We obviously agree. But those who want 8 are saying the conference champs get in then 3 at large. That means the little guys still have no shot unless they win their conference. To me, winning a conference is just arbitrary. Look at GT. We start every season with a 0-1 conference schedule due to our permanent cross over game (Tennessee gets Bama). VT gets BC. So even if we start slow and get hot we may never get a true chance to win the coastal and thus the conference. And the power brokers will simply manipulate the heck out of the top ten to get a second SEC or BIG team in there. So the Boise’s, UCF’s, Cincy’s will still get hosed. Same if they go to 12. Heck, Ohio State got beat at home by Oregon and the media has already put Ohio State back in the playoffs. It’s just disgusting that for 100 years the powers have been able to guilt everyone into buying this model under the guise of “caring about the athletes” when in reality it was all about graft and corruption in the bowl system and now this weak arse playoff system.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Let me show my bias. I heard with a 12 man playoff that the committee of Knowns are considering having the champions from the Top Six conferences plus the next 6 highest ranked teams.

Giving a spot to the future Big 12 or the SunBelt or AAC is BS if they don't play a real schedule that matters. Screw them. Let them earn an at large, instead of automatic, spot.
As to the 6 highest ranked Non-Champions, there is such a bias about the SEC that any subjective award is BS. It's BS how they all start highly ranked, there is a huge bias by the constant SECSPN presentations, and if this group doesn't figure it out, NCAA football is going to die.
There should be a rule that anytime two teams are closely ranked, the one that hasn't been in the playoffs as much recently, gets in. Effectively what made the NCAA BBALL Tournament great was that teams truly had a chance to get in.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Honestly, getting into the Football Championship should be about conferences moving up and down in their strength kind of like how the Premier League makes the bottom of the barrel season ending fight a big deal. It sells and you can lose your spot (automatic bid for example), and you have to earn it back later.
And no conference should get three teams in.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Let me show my bias. I heard with a 12 man playoff that the committee of Knowns are considering having the champions from the Top Six conferences plus the next 6 highest ranked teams.

Giving a spot to the future Big 12 or the SunBelt or AAC is BS if they don't play a real schedule that matters. Screw them. Let them earn an at large, instead of automatic, spot.
As to the 6 highest ranked Non-Champions, there is such a bias about the SEC that any subjective award is BS. It's BS how they all start highly ranked, there is a huge bias by the constant SECSPN presentations, and if this group doesn't figure it out, NCAA football is going to die.
There should be a rule that anytime two teams are closely ranked, the one that hasn't been in the playoffs as much recently, gets in. Effectively what made the NCAA BBALL Tournament great was that teams truly had a chance to get in.
The good news is that those of us who want everyone to have a chance on the field (even if it’s a once every 20 year scenario) will get their way soon enough because in this one case - fairness and money actually will bring the same result. As everyone has seen the money being made from the 4 team playoff is multiples what the BCS was making and the bowl games. Hence, they are now talking about 8 or 12 teams. Not because it brings more fairness, but because it brings multiples more money. And it won’t stop there. Heck, March Madness had 64 teams and that wasn’t even enough so they added “play in“ games. I’m all for it and can’t wait. No reason a season should be over because a QB twisted an ankle and his team lost a game or two without him. Or a team has to play 2 top 5 programs every year (cough, cough, that’s been us).