Will Grier skipping bowl game

Fournette and McCaffrey did this a couple years ago, as well.
Ed Oliver doing it, too.
Of course, his knees may be in grave danger in Houston's bowl game.

I used to get perturbed about guys doing that, but not so much now. If their teammates are cool with it, no reason for me to take umbrage.
Besides, Grier got them to their record and their bowl game. He's lived up to his end of the bargain with the couch burners.

This is such a non-story I can't even begin to acknowledge yalls fake outrage. This has been happening at increasing rates the past 4 seasons, and for good cause. You do not see these type of players (Bama, clemson, georgia, Oklahoma) that make it to final 4 sit out. It is a completely meaningless game, unlike the previous 12 where they had final 4 aspirations.

And to the point about pro teams potentially turning their noses up at someone who does this, that is absolutely preposterous. It is the nfl covertly telling these kids that it's their best decision. You would be surprised at how many draft eligible players get hurt during bowl games, we just don't notice during the 100 mph pace of bowl season.

Sorry, but this is a pretty big bitch move if you are a QB.

CJ didn't skip our game with them and he was as good as gone. Of course, CJ wasn't a ööööing pussy, either.

This is such a non-story I can't even begin to acknowledge yalls fake outrage. This has been happening at increasing rates the past 4 seasons, and for good cause. You do not see these type of players (Bama, clemson, georgia, Oklahoma) that make it to final 4 sit out. It is a completely meaningless game, unlike the previous 12 where they had final 4 aspirations.

Well, öööö, they should just shut down the bowl system. Dozens, if not hundreds, of athletes not in the Final Four bowls are going to the NFL Combine and shouldn't risk getting hurt. Pick the Final Four and call it a day. Would get ESPN and their BS off our cable dial once and for all.

Well, öööö, they should just shut down the bowl system. Dozens, if not hundreds, of athletes not in the Final Four bowls are going to the NFL Combine and shouldn't risk getting hurt. Pick the Final Four and call it a day. Would get ESPN and their BS off our cable dial once and for all.
A lot of kids still want or need to improve their draft stock. Only a select few have the luxury to sit it out. Risk/reward calculation is in play for everyone. Can't fault someone for doing what is best for them. WVU already had their pay day win or lose.

Sorry, but this is a pretty big bitch move if you are a QB.

CJ didn't skip our game with them and he was as good as gone. Of course, CJ wasn't a ööööing pussy, either.
He did also end up retiring relatively early in his career due to being plagued by injury, so maybe there's a point.

A lot of kids still want or need to improve their draft stock. Only a select few have the luxury to sit it out. Risk/reward calculation is in play for everyone. Can't fault someone for doing what is best for them. WVU already had their pay day win or lose.

Go back and read my OP. If an athlete who gets a full ride (or in Grier's case, gets picked after after he decided what would be best for himself is to leave UF) and is part of a successful team (I'm sure Grier wouldn't have been a potential high draft pick if his OL sucked) can walk in his final game, then it should be fine for a coach to decide that Joe Football riding the bench as a fourth string player can lose his scholarship. Gotta work both ways.

Go back and read my OP. If an athlete who gets a full ride (or in Grier's case, gets picked after after he decided what would be best for himself is to leave UF) and is part of a successful team (I'm sure Grier wouldn't have been a potential high draft pick if his OL sucked) can walk in his final game, then it should be fine for a coach to decide that Joe Football riding the bench as a fourth string player can lose his scholarship. Gotta work both ways.
Sure he could. But you'd make your recruiting pitch a whole lot harder to sell .

Let's see...play in completely meaningless game and

1. Play well, lead your team to victory - draft status unchanged since you are already a known, likely-high-draft commodity

or

2. Play well but - Oops! - blown ACL late in 4th qtr and now you're out a year, you miss the combine, you don't get drafted and perhaps an entire NFL career is in jeopardy.

Yeah sorry - not playing is the right thing to do.

From a financial standpoint, I can't blame the kid. With that being said, if I'm a pro team and it comes down to this kid vs someone else and it is down to intangibles, I most certainly hold this decision against him. Most definitely isn't a 'team first' kind of guy.

his decision shows he's got a good head on his shoulders and doesn't take unnecessary risks that might harm the team that drafts him.

his decision shows he's got a good head on his shoulders and doesn't take unnecessary risks that might harm the team that drafts him.

This is what happened to Eddie Jackson (S - Alabama). A broken leg earlier in the season dropped him from 1st round to 4th round and 2/3 of the salary a safety would make if he went in the 1st round. Multiply that against the earning potential of a 1st round QB pick and it is a no brainer to sit out the bowl game. You’re talking $4-6m in lost revenue on your rookie contract. Add in the signing bonus and it goes even higher.

This is what happened to Eddie Jackson (S - Alabama). A broken leg earlier in the season dropped him from 1st round to 4th round and 2/3 of the salary a safety would make if he went in the 1st round. Multiply
that against the earning potential of a 1st round QB pick and it is a no brainer to sit out the bowl game. You’re talking $4-6m in lost revenue on your rookie contract. Add in the signing bonus and it goes even higher.
yeah if you're playing in the Playoff / Natty, I can see why you'd hang in there but otherwise, the bowl game is meaningless - best not to throw away your future over it.

Bowls need to carry insurance policies for injuries to draft eligible players based on an established round projection. That said, players should finish their seasons with their teams. If you support players protecting their future income by refusing to play in a bowl game, there is no logical end to this. A freshman or sophomore can damage their potential value with a serious injury just as much as an upper classman. So, if you think a bowl game is a meaningless exhibition, no one with a chance to make a living playing football should compete. In turn, they probably should not compete in Spring games, in any game after the outcome is determined, and in any games after they are eliminated from the playoffs. This means after your second loss any NFL hopefuls should turn in their gear. That would have been in Week 3 for us this year. In other words, the logical thing for gifted football players with NFL futures to do is not play college football. Football is a team sport. If you are on the team, you give the team your best until the season ends, bowl game included.

Wonder if his draft stock is impacted by the decision in a post-Leveon Bell world.

What about if your team loses its 1st 2 games of the season? Do you sit out the rest bc you have no chance to win the natl championship?

Back