Will our defense be better next year?

Defense

• Better

• Worse

• About the same

Results are only viewable after voting.

GTROY

Damn Good Rat
I think we'll improve at about 3 ppg, which is big improvement IMO. I do think we will give up some points via the deep ball due to inexperience in the secondary.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
I think we'll be more fun to watch, even if we're not statistically better in the points category. I have to believe we'll improve in the yardage category. I appreciate the bend but don't break better than I probably should, but I don't think it complements our offense well whether it works or not. I hope coach Woody can take advantage of being at the helm of a defense that should only have to play 15 to 20 minutes per game.

killacam32

Varsity Lurker
So I'll agree 3 plays can account for losses against Miami, UVA, and Tennessee... but what one other play would've compensated for 23 points at Duke, 14 points against Clemson, or 31 points against UGAg?
I'll give you 3 for sure. I'd say there were a couple offensive miscues that just made a swiss cheese defense look more miserable so maybe I'm talking out of my ass for the 4th play. But I think if the 3 plays we're talking about go differently, we definitely have a better performance against Duke. Our will was just broken at that point in the season.

Van hayes

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Players will get better if they're better coached. Defensive play calling being better would also make a difference. As long as Woody doesn't let Miami throw 18 bubble screens in a row I think we might win a couple games more with the same players.
Agree better coaching will instantly make the defense better. We redshirted a lot of good players on defense. This may be the best defensive class PJ has signed, especially the defensive line. It will be refreshing to see a defense that attacks, instead of getting picked apart in the two minute drill every time we get a lead!

85jacket

Varsity Lurker
I like a stunting 3-4 defense generally anyway. Tech usually recruits well at Line Backer.
We have Swilling, Henderson, Curry, Alexander, Mitchell some very talented young men.
Now we just have to find the nose guard. I think adam may fit that role well. Put stunt packages
together and be aggressive and you will see a difference.

bravejason

Flats Noob
If all Woody does different is stop this mess from happening, then I'll be happy:
Last possession of regulation by UT with 3:21 remaining: 3:21 to go 93 yards on 7 plays and score a touchdown.
Last possession of first half by UM with 1:59 remaining: 1:47 to go 77 yards on 9 plays and score a touchdown.
Last possession of game by UM with 2:30 remaining: 2:30 to go 85 yards on 15 plays and kick a field goal.
Last possession of first half by WF with 4:35 remaining: 3:33 to go 64 yards on 9 plays and score a touchdown.
Last possession of game by UVA with 3:10 remaining: 1:48 to go 64 yards on 5 plays and score touchdown.
Last possession of first half by Duke with 2:03 remaining: 1:37 to go 72 yards on 11 plays and score touchdown.
Last possession of first half by uga with 0:42 remaining: 0:42 to go 50 yards on 6 plays and kick a field goal.

To be fair to Roof, on six occasions (out of 10, excluding Jacksonville) the opposing team failed to score on their last possession of the first half. The range of time remaining in the first half for those six occasions was 0:58 to 1:09. However, the end-of game possessions were a different story. Four times the opponents needed to score on the their last possession to win and only VT failed to do so.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
I think ppg will be much better because our offense will be better and our opponents will get fewer possessions per game.

In terms of the quality of our defense I think we'll take a slight step back. I liked Roof more than most. I certainly don't understand people who think he was so bad that his name deserves to be censored.

interchange

Jolly Good Fellow
Better, but only after the defense has been simplified so they can play faster.
Not that again... Actually I think part of the difference that will be very meaningful is the approach. In the 2-gap scheme of Roof, the LB did not have specific assignments but were put into positions to read where the DL was breaking down and cover those responsibilities. In a 1-gap scheme like Woody runs, the LB does have a more clear responsibility on every play. Thus, while the 2-gap scheme may be simpler, they may play slow because they are being forced to read the play as it develops. A 1-gap scheme could be complex, but as long as every player understands their assignment on each play, their individual roles are much more clear, so they can play faster.

Graybeard Jacket

Varsity Lurker
I really don't see how you can compare one year to the next accurately. We will be playing most of the same teams, but they all have different personnel. We could lower the ppg by 10 points and not be better, if the teams we play are worse offensively and vice versa.

interchange

Jolly Good Fellow
I really don't see how you can compare one year to the next accurately. We will be playing most of the same teams, but they all have different personnel. We could lower the ppg by 10 points and not be better, if the teams we play are worse offensively and vice versa.
Fair, although there is probably enough data in each set to expect the variance year to year to be small. I think the bigger problem is variation due to random factors limiting our interpretation of the results. Comparison via FEI or some other composite may be a better way to compare that reduces both random variation and factors relating to different opposition.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
To be fair to Roof, on six occasions (out of 10, excluding Jacksonville) the opposing team failed to score on their last possession of the first half. The range of time remaining in the first half for those six occasions was 0:58 to 1:09. However, the end-of game possessions were a different story. Four times the opponents needed to score on the their last possession to win and only VT failed to do so.
And Virginia Tech probably would've scored too if they hadn't decided to throw a bomb when they needed a yard.

I am confident we will be better. I have no idea how much better. Even a little will do for now.

johncu

Dodd-Like
I think we'll give up about the same number of points per game. I also think we will force significantly more turnovers and score more offensive points because of it.

Reactions: eg1

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Woody is going to walk in to the first team meeting with the defense, tell them to "git gud," and immediately we'll see half a point-per-drive less than last year

33jacket

Dodd-Like
Ppd is what to look for. I think we can be better there. But its year 1 with basically a new secondary. I hope to see the d grow over the year. And year 2 be more solid from day 1.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I think ppg will be much better because our offense will be better and our opponents will get fewer possessions per game.

In terms of the quality of our defense I think we'll take a slight step back. I liked Roof more than most. I certainly don't understand people who think he was so bad that his name deserves to be censored.
One guy censored his name, it's not like a movement.