will the dome be ready on 9/4......

It's possible it just looks smaller because of the construction stuff? It'd be awfully disappointing when there's only sunlight between the 20's. :lol:

Hopefully, this won't turn out like the Olympic stadium in Montreal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Stadium_(Montreal)

"The stadium was originally slated to be finished in 1972, but the grand opening was cancelled due to a construction workers strike. Further delays ensued due to the stadium's unusual design. Additionally, Taillibert was not willing to back down from his original vision of the stadium even in the face of escalating costs for raw materials. It did not help that the original project manager, Trudeau et Associés, seemed to be incapable of handling some of the most basic construction tasks. The Quebec provincial government finally lost patience with the delays and cost overruns in 1974, and threw Taillibert off the project.[10]

Additionally, the project was plagued by circumstances beyond anyone's control. Work slowed to a snail's pace for a third of the year due to Montreal's typically brutal winters. As a result, the stadium and tower remained unfinished at the opening of the 1976 Olympic Games.[10][14]

The roof materials languished in a warehouse in Marseille until 1982, and the tower and roof were not completed until 1987.[9][15] It would be another year before the 66-tonne, 5,500 m2 (59,000 sq ft) Kevlar roof could retract. Even then, it could not be used in winds above 40 km/h (25 mph). Ultimately, it was only opened and closed 88 times.[9]"

Seems like an awfully complicated way to open a roof with a lot of potential places to leak - especially as the stadium ages. I know they are opening it that way for the "wow" effect, but once you see it that will pretty much be the end of the "wow" effect

It most likely doesn't seal, but rather just overlaps and gives the water a place to drain away into... Any leaks would be into the middle of the field, which wouldn't be an issue.

It's possible it just looks smaller because of the construction stuff? It'd be awfully disappointing when there's only sunlight between the 20's. :lol:

Yeah my first thought is that what you see in that picture is scaffolding.

Has anyone noticed how the opening in the top has quietly shrunk from the original artist renditions? Was it really worth a billion dollars to end up with a swimming pool sized hole in the top of the stadium?

Screen_Shot_2013-05-01_at_9.48.49_AM.png

newsEngin.18218603_040417-atlanta-aerials-ba-012.jpg
I see what looks like straight tracks on that roof. Does that inner steel roof part slide outwards on those tracks? That would make a bigger opening.

the new stadium will be awesome but I'm going to miss the dome. it wasn't particularly special in any way, but I saw a lot of games there in my formative years so it's near and dear to my heart.

Has anyone noticed how the opening in the top has quietly shrunk from the original artist renditions? Was it really worth a billion dollars to end up with a swimming pool sized hole in the top of the stadium?

He said the roof is currently about three-fourths installed and that later Tuesday or Wednesday the plan is to move the petals to the open position and begin installing the “tips.”

I think it is in the closed position. The open part is where they haven't finished the petals.

It hasn't shrunk. The rendering is showing the opening with the petals in the fully open position. The photo is the closed position without the last two sections of the petals in place.

He said the roof is currently about three-fourths installed and that later Tuesday or Wednesday the plan is to move the petals to the open position and begin installing the “tips.”

Just to be clear, he's still working on getting the tip in..

We could always play at the SAC fields. Maybe then we'd fill the bleachers.

Here's a pretty good view of the inside, taken today.

Szd0nwV.jpg

Google Montreal Olympic retractable roof.

Edit: dammit. I shood reed moar

Play at Grady Stadium. Big screens on the lawn across the street at Piedmont Park.

when they built the Astrodome (1st dome) they planned on glass panels in the roof to let light in and were supposed to have a real grass field. The contrast of the light to the structural parts made it hard to see fly balls so they painted the glass white. So then the grass died and they had to come up with Astroturf.

Hopefully, this won't turn out like the Olympic stadium in Montreal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Stadium_(Montreal)

"The stadium was originally slated to be finished in 1972, but the grand opening was cancelled due to a construction workers strike. Further delays ensued due to the stadium's unusual design. Additionally, Taillibert was not willing to back down from his original vision of the stadium even in the face of escalating costs for raw materials. It did not help that the original project manager, Trudeau et Associés, seemed to be incapable of handling some of the most basic construction tasks. The Quebec provincial government finally lost patience with the delays and cost overruns in 1974, and threw Taillibert off the project.[10]

Additionally, the project was plagued by circumstances beyond anyone's control. Work slowed to a snail's pace for a third of the year due to Montreal's typically brutal winters. As a result, the stadium and tower remained unfinished at the opening of the 1976 Olympic Games.[10][14]

The roof materials languished in a warehouse in Marseille until 1982, and the tower and roof were not completed until 1987.[9][15] It would be another year before the 66-tonne, 5,500 m2 (59,000 sq ft) Kevlar roof could retract. Even then, it could not be used in winds above 40 km/h (25 mph). Ultimately, it was only opened and closed 88 times.[9]"
I heard tell that at one time, the Olympic Stadium in Montreal cost more to build than all of the other domed stadia in North America combined. Among other issues, there were stories of cement trucks cycling through the work site collecting load receipts multiple times for a single delivery ...

In related news, the mayor of Montreal at the time, Jean Drapeau, made the statement (en francais, bien sur) that, "the Olympics can no more run a deficit than a man can have a baby." For the rest of his life he was often depicted as pregnant in political cartoons. Good times! :biggrin:

Back