Word on the Street...

Technically speaking, Michigan would be covering his buyout, if he has one, with the money they are paying for Rodriquez' buyout.

Huh? His contract is for longer than 1 year, is it not? Would WV be willing to pay the rest of Saban's Bama contract? I just can't see how this could work.

WVU would presumably be paying him to coach their team.

They wouldn't have to pay anything beyond that, since he doesn't have a buyout.

University of Alabama trustees approved the eight-year, $32 million contract for football coach Nick Saban on Thursday.

The deal doesn't include a buyout clause if he wants to leave early ...
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2007-06-14-ncaa-notes_N.htm

I was talking about Saban's buyout if he went to WV.

And yeah, if there's an 8 year deal for 32 million, who pays the rest of the 8 years? WVU? I don't see Saban going anywhere any time soon, for financial reasons.

beej67,
unclear

I was talking about Saban's buyout if he went to WV.

And yeah, if there's an 8 year deal for 32 million, who pays the rest of the 8 years? WVU? I don't see Saban going anywhere any time soon, for financial reasons.

beej67,
unclear

The contract is to protect the coach's compensation if he is terminated - not to protect the school. Buyout clauses are to protect the school and any expenses resulting from the coach leaving before the end of the contract (relocation of assistants, etc.).

I read earlier today that Saban's agent is also Jimbo Fisher's agent. And supposedly the blog stated that Saban's agent (not necessarily Sabam himself) was the one talking to WVU, although I haven't read the blog myself.

Anyhow, the Sporting News is reporting that Jimbo's $2.5 million buyout has a exception for him to take the WVU job. If true, I'd think he's as good as gone.

Relax...
Saban's not going to West Virginia...
It's just a bunch of rumour mill BS that's coming from WV...
Saban's just getting the 'Tide Rolling' at 'Bama... he's a long way from departing...
It's tons easier to recruit to alabama... Saban had 10+ verbal commits on campus last weekend... Anyone remember the video's of snow up the eastern seaboard... it was 75+ in Tuscaloosa and lots of leg showing at the on campus parties...
Plus Saban is clearing house... there will be lots of playing time for incoming freshman for at least the next two years...
Besides the obvious benefits of coaching at Bama top recruits are streaming to the southern universities in this country to play ball.
Why would a proven coach take a step backwards in overall prestige, from a power conference and top notch recruiting? Just to go home?...
It's all a bunch of rubbish...

:rolleyes:

Relax...
Saban's just getting the 'Tide Rolling' at 'Bama... he's a long way from departing...
It's tons easier to recruit to alabama... Saban had 10+ verbal commits on campus last weekend... Anyone remember the video's of snow up the eastern seaboard... it was 75+ in Tuscaloosa and lots of leg showing at the on campus parties...
Plus Saban is clearing house... there will be lots of playing time for incoming freshman for at least the next two years...
Besides the obvious benefits of coaching at Bama top recruits are streaming to the southern universities in this country to play ball.
Why would a proven coach take a step backwards in overall prestige, from a power conference and top notch recruiting? Just to go home?...

Are you a GT fan or a Bama fan? GT fans should hope that there is something to this as we compete much more with Bama for recruits than WVU.

Gah, man, sorry I was so stubborn earlier. Thickheaded. Refusing to grasp the basic concept that Saban bent Bama over and screwed them mercilessly.

Wow.

That contract is a no-mercy screwage.

Relax...

How is it in Tuscaloosa today? Care to give us a ski report?

The averages right now for Tuscaloosa are 54/33. For Morgantown it is 41/25. 10 degrees isn't overwhelming to me. Both require a jacket. All time highs appear to be about 10 degrees different as well.

This weather thing is overrated unless you want the super mild Mediterranean winters present in South Florida or Southern Cal. The East Coast has very mild weather. Baltimore's averages are 46 and 31 (almost no difference on the low). I also run into very few people on the east coast who don't like the occasional snowfalls.

I couldn't believe how cold southern Mississippi got in February whan I lived there.

I would've thought Morgantown would be colder due to the elevation, but I knew it wasn't Madison Wisconsin cold.

I would imagine Saban is very uncomfortable at Bama and will be until late next November. He lost to Auburn. ;)

Saban's agent is Jimmy Sexton who is the agent for a number of HC's and some OC's and DC's. His contact with WV had nothing to do with Saban.

Back