Worst Losses in the Russell era

When did r era start?

ut in 17 was bad. Every loss to duke, uva, unc.

The loss in Durham where Duke broke its long losing streak and the students flooded out of the basketball scrimmage to tear down the goal posts was pretty bad. I was there.

Not scoring any Touchdowns in Jacksonville with the best WR/RB combo ever

That was bad but after losing to U[sic]GA the week before not too many people cared.

I'll say Notre Dame not because we played bad but because the eyes of the nation were on us and we definitely could have won. That one hurt, probably more than any other save U[sic]GA losses.

As far as losses where we sucked, Clemson that one year where they had Gameday and we got blown out under the lights while not throwing the Calvin.

So that is why we lost to FSU in '92 that put us on the skids for the next three years.

The WF loss in Hamilton's last year hurt pretty bad as it kept us out of the Orange Bowl.

Ugliest might be when we blew the 17 point lead to UVA and their 3rd string QB, also with Hamilton at QB.

Losing to Duke in 2003 which ended their 5+year ACC losing streak was horrible from a numbers standpoint. Also lost to a terrible UNC team that year.

Beat heartbreaking load that year was letting F$U score twice in the last 6 minutes after shutting them out for 50+ minutes

Losing to Duke in 2003 which ended their 5+year ACC losing streak was horrible from a numbers standpoint. Also lost to a terrible UNC team that year.

Beat heartbreaking load that year was letting F$U score twice in the last 6 minutes after shutting them out for 50+ minutes

We didn't lose to UNC that year, we put 40-something points on them.

Losing to Duke did suck since they are such a bitch fan base (as has been noted before).

2002 UGA is clearly way up there. Some of the fanbase soured on Chan forever after that loss. It's tough to just watch your team just give up. Richt could have hung up more points, too.

2013 UGA, giving up the 20 pt lead, scoring more than 30 on them and losing for the first time ever. Failing at our last chance to beat them while I was enrolled. That one hurt. 09UGA is a close second, but that wound was salved by Clemson 2.0

Iowa game sucked pretty good too. It was cold af and we got thoroughly dominated.

Last edited:
2012 MTSU-the game where their offense knew exactly what our defense was doing and was the final nail in Al Groh's job.

2011 UVA-went into that game 6-0 and that loss derailed our season.

2002 UGA is clearly way up there. Some of the fanbase soured on Chan forever after that loss. It's tough to just watch your team just give up. Richt could have hung up more points, too.
I watched both of our QB's fear even taking a snap. It was like falling off a cliff from the 3Iar

Back