Worst Losses in the Russell era

The dives weren't working. After the game CPJ said something TTEO "you would think that we could have just pushed them down the field, but that didn't happen".

People are forgetting how patch work our offensive line was in 2008. It may be disappointing we couldn't just run the ball straight at them; but it isn't surprising.

Was thinking about this again last night. The 2009 loss at home to UGA was a huge loss in my opinion.

After coming off of CPJ's first season on The Flats, 9-4, a win in Athens, and a solid bowl bid, expectations were high for 2009.

After going 10-1, highly ranked, 6-5 UGA comes to BDS reeling from a home loss to Kentucky … and we lose. Then we beat Clemson in the ACCCG and lose to a strong Iowa team in the Orange Bowl.

The next four seasons are so-so until the 2014 season of finishing 11-3, winning the Orange Bowl in spectacular fashion, and ranked #7 in the final poll.

What happens from 2010-2013 if Tech wins that game in 2009? Would recent history remain unchanged, or would that win perhaps have springboarded the program to greater heights from 2010-2013. I think the latter.
I wonder how different life could have been had we progressed in the 90's after the 1990 championship. UGAg was mediocre. We had a shot to kick them while they were down, but proceeded to become the worst team in the ACC and one of the worst in all of cfb by 1994. What if only GOL or Fridge had become HC?

I wonder how different life could have been had we progressed in the 90's after the 1990 championship. UGAg was mediocre. We had a shot to kick them while they were down, but proceeded to become the worst team in the ACC and one of the worst in all of cfb by 1994. What if only GOL or Fridge had become HC?
Even despite our dropoff in the early 90's, we were a couple plays from beating them in '91, '95, and '97. We won 3 in a row from '98-'00 and had them on the ropes. We were 5-7 against them from '89-'00 with 3 toss-ups in there.

Similar to '09, we had a chance to step on their throats in '01 in Richt's first year, but let that one get away. Richt's rise plus Chan & flunk-gate really turned the tide in the series.

Even despite our dropoff in the early 90's, we were a couple plays from beating them in '91, '95, and '97. We won 3 in a row from '98-'00 and had them on the ropes. We were 5-7 against them from '89-'00 with 3 toss-ups in there.

Similar to '09, we had a chance to step on their throats in '01 in Richt's first year, but let that one get away. Richt's rise plus Chan & flunk-gate really turned the tide in the series.
We benefited from them having Goff and Donnan. Georgia then made a decision to improve their coaching in part due to losing three in a row to us. Since Richt's arrival in Athens in 2001, we are 4-13.

Last edited:
Back