You are in charge of the NCAA

MtownJacket

Dodd-Like
What do you change?

https://247sports.com/threads/you-are-in-charge-of-the-ncaa.8945/

1. Restrict maximum AA budgets to be proportional to the number of student athletes. Alabama and Oregon don't even know how to spend all their athletics money, and yet they have mediocre academics. I would restrict the maximum amount of $ an AA can spend (after tuition and housing for athletes). Something like $50k per athlete. Need to spend more than that? That's fine, but for every $1 spent over the limit you have to give $2 to the university to support academics. Want to build a giant athletics complex to attract recruits? That's fine, but then the university also gets to build a new physics building and library. Want to pay Saban $10 million? That's fine, but then the university gets to give every faculty member a $30k raise. You have to be an excellent academic institution FIRST, then you can be an excellent athletic institution. What would this do to college athletics? Well, many coaches would get pay cuts, so there would be a coaching migration to pro sports. That's fine.

2. Require all DI athletes to have a combined Math+Verbal SAT of 800. That requirement also applies to all transfer students (JUCOs). Throw out GPA, just require a high school diploma or GED. Does 800 sound low? Consider that the current NCAA minimum is only 400! A score of 800 is the 14th percentile. Maybe make it more flexible than that to account for students who excel in one subject over the other, like if you get 500 in one or the other then the total can be lower. Currently, high schools are fudging the GPA to get low-performing students eligible, and they think they are doing them a favor. In reality, they are set up for failure in college. That doesn't stop colleges from keeping them eligible, they just cheat as well, see UNC. What does that do for athletes who don't make it as a pro? Well, kids are graduating college unable to read. Seriously:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/
http://deadspin.com/5223328/ole-miss-football-players-dont-read-so-good
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/12/education/12kemp.html
If student athletes have to actually learn stuff in high school to be able to play in college, perhaps high schools will actually teach them. Then maybe colleges wont feel the need to cheat to keep them eligible. Also, lobby the college board to tighten up SAT security. It is not that hard for prospective athletes to cheat to gain eligibility. Maybe require fingerprints?

That's about it. This system would maintain the focus on academics, and would be in the best interests of the students. If a school doesn't like it they can leave the NCAA. I can see it now, a minor league consisting of Bama, LSU, UGA, Auburn, Tennessee, UGA, Florida, FSU, Clemson, Penn State, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Michigan, USC, Oregon, etc.

Would never happen.

Too much money and too much politics involved.

Hell, if UNCheat ran a diploma mill for 20 years and barely a yawn came out of it nationally, what will?

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

I thought you got 400 on the SAT for just showing up.

And I don't think they would let UGA field two teams in the minor league.

Stop requiring student athletes to go to class. Instead, make all academic scholarships effective after a player's eligibility is exhausted. This serves several purposes:

1) Removes the incentive for schools to create joke majors and help players cheat to stay eligible.

2) Lets the players know whether they have a career ahead of them in pro football before they choose their major.

3) Allows the players to focus fully on academics when the time comes. This is especially important, because they usually aren't academically qualified to be in the school anyway, so asking them to both play D1 football and take real classes at the same time borders on cruel, especially since we all know where the coaches ensure that football comes first.

I know there are details which would need to be worked out, e.g. housing and stuff after the players are done with football and going back for their degrees, but I really believe something like this is better for everyone involved, especially the majority of players who currently end up with a worthless degree and no pro football career.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

burn-it-down.gif

Totally off the wall idea.

Once a kid is accepted at a university, he has an academic choice to make. Choose a regular student major or pick a pre-NFL or pre-NBA major that's run purely online by the NCAA itself and staffed with a mix of college professors and private volunteers. In those pro league career tracks, the curriculum focuses on Home Ec type stuff, basic finance, seminars on choosing agent, etc.

Universities are freed from the sham of processing kids through that want zero part of a degree. The kids are better prepared to handle life decisions after they hit the lottery on draft night.

Death penalty for UGA athletics for their continued support of animal abuse.

sarah_mclachlan_aspca.jpg

Charge the NFL a development fee for every player they draft out of college, use the fees to give stipends to all student athletes.

#1 get UNC hammed with scholly reductions, post seson bans for 5 - 8 years based upon the years of s*** classes.

#2 - GT is officially recognized as ACC 2009 Football Champs

#3 Raise minimum entry standards say 24 ACT or 900 SAT score.

#4 allow 4 - 5 year schollies, no year to year and dumping of players

#5 Raise requirements for APR and penalties for not meeting them.

#6 25 players max for Football schollies per year, no exceptions unless due to death or permanent life altering injury to player(s)

#7 Men's Basketball Players not allowed to be drafted until in school at least 2 years. If the NBA doesn't like it, tell them to draft player of of high school - similar to baseball rules.

#8 truly enforce academics standards

By far the biggest thing to change: Practice Hours. Including "voluntary" sessions.

That at least gives an honest chance for more players to do academically rigorous majors.

Unfortunately, most work needs to be done by accreditation agencies as well as the faculty and the boards of the schools. There's something rotten in Denmark if high school students come in far below college education levels and somehow get college degrees (or make 3/4 progress).

In the case of FSU's scandal, almost every athlete took a health elective from the same professor. The students took tests online and could take the test multiple times. In the very secretive Committee on Infractions meeting, the FSU President's opening statement said "we have a unionized faculty and so our options are limited with regard to this professor."

Even without unionization, there is very little incentive for college presidents to do anything about these faculty members. What students aren't going to come to FSU because some athletes get a ridiculously easy health class? Will less grant money be going to FSU? Will there be fewer alumni donations? So why should the president really care about rigor, especially for the 0.1% of the student body with the most financial impact?

#7 Men's Basketball Players not allowed to be drafted until in school at least 2 years. If the NBA doesn't like it, tell them to draft player of of high school - similar to baseball rules.

I'm not sure what the NCAA can do to incentivize the NBA. A one-and-done player has no obligation to the school or the NCAA once he leaves campus. The NBA itself has no contractual obligation to the NCAA. If the NCAA makes high school basketball sign a contract with large financial penalties for leaving for the NBA after one year, it would probably be ruled unconscionable or at least generate a huge outcry.

The only thing the NCAA could do is punish schools with one-and-done players. Even if the one-and-done made a full year's progress towards a degree. Then you've got a bizarre recruiting situation, where coaches have to choose players good but not too good to leave after a year. And if they're good enough to get drafted after a year, they would be stupid to stay making nothing in college. Even if their old college would be put on probation for them leaving.

I used to teach an intro class in another department that many athletes took. The first semester I taught it, the other professor was notoriously difficult and I was unknown, so I had a bunch of football players enroll in my class. I ended up failing (as in "F") half of them for not attending class or completing assignments, which impacted bowl eligibility. I never had another football player in my class.

Eat a bag of dicks you pompous douchebag.

I'm not sure what the NCAA can do to incentivize the NBA. A one-and-done player has no obligation to the school or the NCAA once he leaves campus. The NBA itself has no contractual obligation to the NCAA. If the NCAA makes high school basketball sign a contract with large financial penalties for leaving for the NBA after one year, it would probably be ruled unconscionable or at least generate a huge outcry.

The only thing the NCAA could do is punish schools with one-and-done players. Even if the one-and-done made a full year's progress towards a degree. Then you've got a bizarre recruiting situation, where coaches have to choose players good but not too good to leave after a year. And if they're good enough to get drafted after a year, they would be stupid to stay making nothing in college. Even if their old college would be put on probation for them leaving.

How does it work with the MLB? Do they just voluntarily refuse to sign anyone until their junior year once they enter college?

All of the above are thoughtful, well conceived ideas. My personal favorites are:
Put Georgia on probation for 5 years with no bowls, no television and 15 scholarships per year. Do the same thing to the following notorious factories masquerading as institutions of higher learning: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Miami, FSU, Texas, Tennessee, Ohio State, Louisville. Tell the pros to start their own developmental leagues for players too dumb or lazy to go to class and get real degrees. Limit spring and summer practices. Reduce the number of bowls by half. Try doing some things that are truly in the best interests of the players and fans instead of constantly worrying about the money. No football on Friday nights. Quit televising high school games. End the recruiting nonsense by having players choose their schools by December 1st with no "decommits".

Back