You are in charge of the NCAA

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

This guy wants to tie academic ability to student athletes!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

What next, a black president?????

How does it work with the MLB? Do they just voluntarily refuse to sign anyone until their junior year once they enter college?

The MLB draft always gave the option for high school players to attend college instead, depending on what was offered by the drafting team.

Agents like Boras used the threat of going to school for a year as a negotiating tactic for high school seniors. So the MLB tried to extend a drafting team's exclusivity from one year to five years. The player's union sued and the junior thing was the compromise they worked out.

1. 20 schollys a year, either freshmen or transfers
2. 900 SAT to get in
3.Athlete required to retake SAT again within 5 years. If they score less than 1100 or refuse to take test, college loses that scholly for 5 years.
4. Thus, if you sign 20 in 2016 and 4 don't get 1100 in 2021, you can only sign 16 in 2021.
5. Forces retention and attempt to teach.

Athletes gets more private tutoring and skew towards less rigorous majors than other students.

Yeah, I know they get all that private tutoring.

Usually the less rigorous majors are Sociology, Communications or the various "home economics" type majors the land grant schools have. Many Tech fans don't realize that most football players don't major in the more typical liberal arts (English, History, etc.) Those majors require a lot more writing and reading.

At ND and Vanderbilt, most players are in Management/Business just like Tech. The "choice of major" thing is overrated for recruited. Maybe some athletes think they want to do Philosophy, but most of ND's athletes end up in Business. Duke has their infamous Sociology major.

Stanford is interesting. Many of their starters majored in some real öööö, like Physics and Electrical Engineering. To be honest, if somebody was in the tiny handful of 4* athletes who could do that stuff, it's hard to sell Tech over Stanford.

But for the factories with sub-1000 SAT scores: yes, they get a lot of private tutoring. But it's hard to believe somebody with a sub-1000 SAT score and 40+ hours of football work (at least during fall) could do college-level work.

1. Zero regulation of scholarship numbers. Prohibit conferences from establishing these limits.

2. Zero regulation of player eligibility for reasons other than crime / illegal PEDs. Prohibit conferences from establishing these limits.

3. Allow players to profit from their names and likenesses in the private sector like everyone else in the country who isn't a serial killer.

Then the whole system will go tits up in five to ten years, we'll all realize that this activity has no relation to college at all, the NFL will start its own developmental league because deciding who to draft will be a crisis when literally everybody worth a öööö is on Alabama or Texas's 400 man roster, and collegiate football will once again be an amateur sport played by students.

Eat a bag of dicks you pompous douchebag.

You don't still believe he is actually a GT professor do you?

It is all a big lie the guy perpetuates. I believe less of what he says than anyone here.

How does it work with the MLB? Do they just voluntarily refuse to sign anyone until their junior year once they enter college?

MLB can draft a player right out HS. If he doesn't sign with the team and shows up for the first day of classes, he can no longer be drafted until after he has completed 3 years out of HS. He can then be drafted again. Just like out of HS though, the player can refuse to sign again if the money isn't what he wants and come back to school for his senior year.

In both cases (right out of HS and after junior year), the team loses the draft pick if the player doesn't sign. They do get compensatory picks the next year for some of the early rounds if a player doesn't sign though.

To me, it's the most fair of all the pro drafts for both the teams and the player. It wouldn't really be applicable for football because no player is going right from HS to pros but it would be perfect for basketball.

kbumnm.png

"If you need ass"

I'm... listening...

I used to teach an intro class in another department that many athletes took. The first semester I taught it, the other professor was notoriously difficult and I was unknown, so I had a bunch of football players enroll in my class. I ended up failing (as in "F") half of them for not attending class or completing assignments, which impacted bowl eligibility. I never had another football player in my class (but still had other athletes).

OK, so you expect us to believe that you, a GT athletics fan, had athletes in your class that didn't attend class and you either didn't report this to the coaches or the coaches didn't bother to address the situation.

And this problem was so widespread that you failed "half" of "a bunch" of football players.

Yeah, I'm calling bullshit. I refuse to believe that we have such rampant disregard for academics that our coaches and staff don't give a öööö if players fail a class en masse.

And no, I have never forgotten that the PHD in your font used to stand for Paul Hewitt Disaster and not PhD. I guess other folks have.

1. Coaches can not be dismissed until the national championship game is over. It is unfair to players and coaches for the coaching carousel to crank up in November and take coaches away from bowl games, both head coaches and assistants.
2. Have an early signing day on the second Wednesday in July and a late signing day on the first Wednesday in March. This will cut down on the ridiculous drama of flipping verbal commitments. If you really want the kid in the summer you offer and if he really wants to come, he signs. We wait until March because we are waiting until January for coaching decisions to be made.
3. Should an early signee receive an injury in the fall of the Senior year of high school and they will not be fully recovered by their freshman season, the school will pay for their first year of tuition, they will receive a medical redshirt, and the school will be able to sign a player to replace the injured signee on the March signing date. The injured player will not count among the 85 until they are medically ready to play football.

Reasonable question. Might work. However, I think a well-defined recruiting cycle regulating when there can be visits, contacts, and signings keeps coaches and players from having to be in perpetual recruiting.

Back