you people better come up w/ $$....

law_bee

Dodd-Like
you people better come w/ some serious $$$. We paid CG less than 1mil.

To hire a top notch coach to come to GT will be 1.25 minimum.

1. I am going on record that the 1st year on the new coach will be the end of our bowl streak.

2. new coach will never win more than 8 games

3. new coach will be here less than 5 years

I think many on this board are too stupid to realize the harm that has been done to the program. CG is gone now. After Braine's comments CG will never stay. There is no doubt we had some BAD losses, but we were headed in the right direction. It will take another Bill Lewis to get you to remember how bad things can get.

50K stadium AINT gonna bring in a good coach. I sure hope you people contribute to the school b/c they are gonna need $$$.

If we are last place in the ACC 3 years after CG leaves don't tell me you were not warned.

At least we have Hewitt. When CG leaves it will be offical. GT will be a BB school. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Was this post a joke? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Oh wait, you might have been serious. Your post is a little presumptuous and makes some horrible assumptions.

1) We really don't know what's going on with Chan Gailey and Dave Braine. There is no way we could know. While I certainly acknowledge that such comments from an athletic director could help get a coach out of the door, we don't know whether this was something they discussed privately and came to an agreement about or not beforehand. Too many unknowns are at play here. I don't think Chan is a baby like you seem to presume he is. I'm sure he knows he has to win at least seven next year regardless. He understands the politics of the situation too and the need to mention seven publicly.

2) 1.25 million is not too much for us to pay---and yes, we can afford it. Despite increasing tuition costs being rough on the AA, there are increased revenues from basketball and the expanded ACC. Coming up with an additional $200 K (I believe Gailey is actually paid 1.05 million) will not be a problem, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us pay slightly upwards of that.

3) Why exactly will a new coach "never win more than 8 games"? What do you base this on? That's ridiculous. How can you account for everything that would happen if we were to get a new coach.

4) There are a lot of coaches that could be recruited to GT right now that would suceed here. I don't think this will happen b/c Gailey will be back next year. Chan will stay and I for one believe he will succeed in moderation, maybe more. I think he can have a good season next year and a better one the next.

Chan needs supporters, but not cry-baby arguments like this among our fan base.

thanks ms. cleo... your predictions mean as much as CFNs bowl projections.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/2004/02gailey.html

1. here is a quote from the article above
[ QUOTE ]
Gailey, 52, has two seasons left on a contract that will pay him close to $1 million this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

2. I will break down the math for you. Let's say ugag, nd, uf, sec schools, texas schools and etc. all these schools and more average 70K+ for sometimes 7 home games. They also charge more for their tx.

GT averages 50K at the most and we charge LESS. There is probably 40 div 1 schools that generate more football rev than GT.

ALSO even if we were to magically come up w/ 1.2 (which this would the highest paid coach in GT history) we ALSO then have to raise Hewitt's salary.

WHATEVER the FB coach is making at GT Hewitt should be making .2K above it IMO.

So what will happen is we will have to hire someone on the cheap. Gailey came here b/c of his ties to americus but ain't nobody else tied to americus.

AND EVEN IF we hire some cracker jack young coach who can generate 8 or 9 wins THAT coach will bolt when one of the schools above hires him away.

You may think my predictions are meaningless, well I will be around and nothing would make me happier than for me to be proven wrong.

What people don't understand is that in MANY way GT needed Gailey just as much as Gailey needed GT. Gailey's record to this point does not merit the lack of support.

WE AIN'T ND AND WE AIN'T FLORIDA! We don't have NBC paying us MILLIONS every year.

[ QUOTE ]
Your post is a little presumptuous and makes some horrible assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're not?

Law Bee...I have never agreed with any of your posts and all along I thought that you were just delusional. Little did I know that you are just a plain dumba$$!!!

Let me break your ignorant post down for you...

1) Coaches salaries, along with every other profession, will continue to increase(what else is new). So paying $1.25MM/yr for a quality coach is highly likely(hell I'd pay $2MM/yr for a great coach who is locked in for a decade).

2) Our bowl streak should have ended this year(and would of if there weren't a million BS bowls).

3) "New coach will never win more than 8 games"...pure brilliance. While you're making these COLOSSAL predictions please let me know what the number are to the next LOTTO, Einstein.

4) "New coach will be here less than 5 years"...you're right again. If he does not perform then, YES, he will be gone in less than 5 years. Let's hope we don't make the same mistake twice.

As for the rest of your worthless post, you're right the "harm has been done" by CCG and hopefully we can find someone(offensive minded) who will retain Tenuta and provide the leadership that we need while developing these kids. "Last place 3 years after CCG"...you're such a fatalist(get real)!!!

While I'm in such a good mood, I would love to get your opinion on Ty Willingham being fired. Let's see...he does well yr 1 with Davie's players and progressively does worse the next 2 years(add to this that he was .500 at Stanford). But HEY, at least he's graduating his players, right???

DB was wrong in publicly stating requirements in

NUMBERS! That is just so superficial! ALL WE EVER ASKED WAS/IS TO SEE IMPROVEMENTS FROM YEAR TO YEAR...MORE CONSISTENT, BETTER PLAYCALLING AND EXECUTION. Since we play the best teams on the road, I think putting a number on it is stupid!! DB is a knucklehead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dude, if I were you I'd just delete the entire post. I've always respected your posts on basketball, but I think you are off here. GT has the budget to do what they need to do.

When you quote the article about salary you simply prove my point, and two, I cited increased revenue from basketball and ACC expansion. You countered this with comparing our football revenue to other schools (which consequently support many, many, more sports)? Stop while you are not too far behind. By the way, we do get millions in TV money every year---its through the contract that the ACC signs for TV.

Buzzed 1990...Your the one that is coming off

as a DUMBA$$..Quit frankly,ive thought your posts were pure bullsh-- Law bee has been posting on this board for over 3 year's and a lot of us have really enjoyed his thoughts...You have been on here for a little over 6 month's and suddenly your THE expert on what is best for GT football...

So, you disagree as to how he feel's about Gailey...That's the bottomline..So you call him a dumba$$...Now that is original!!!

Appreciate your passion, but no basis in fact.

Don't know why you are upset coz CG is here next year, only if HE does not quit. If he quits coz someone has expectations for him, then he should not be here. For 900K or 1.2 mill, you have to produce.

I get the impression that if CG were somehow to leave you would want GT to do poorly.

[ QUOTE ]
New coach will be here less than 5 years"...you're right again. If he does not perform then, YES, he will be gone in less than 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point was also made that even if we do get a hotshot coach and he does happen perform, he will bolt for one of the big boys at the first opportunity.

You think if Urban Meyer was coaching here right now that he wouldn't be on the hotline to ND or UF?

Of course, I like Chan as a coach and I have made that point clear on the boards. I hope he gets to stay around a long time and wins a lot of ballgames for us - including stomping UGAg from time to time.

Our program is not like UGAg's. They have been getting the choice recruits since the 60's. The only reason whey they don't sign ALL of the best players in Georgia is because they can't with scholarship limits that are in place. Trust me, if the NCAA let CFB teams sign an unlimited amount of players, UGAG would get 80-90 out of the top 100 players in the state every year. That's just how it is.

We get a Calvin Johnson every so often, but UGAg gets about 15-20 Calvin Johnson's per signing period.

Playing UGAg is like playing against the entire state of Georgia.

To hell with Georgia!

"Our program is not like UGAg's. They have been getting the choice recruits since the 60's. The only reason whey they don't sign ALL of the best players in Georgia is because they can't with scholarship limits that are in place. Trust me, if the NCAA let CFB teams sign an unlimited amount of players, UGAG would get 80-90 out of the top 100 players in the state every year. That's just how it is."

I agree. So, even more reason to recruit out of state. I just don't buy that you have to concentrate so heavily in your own state. ND recruits in all 50. Maybe we can't hit all 50 and don't have the Catholic angle (not that you would ever use that to convince a kid's mom that ND is the place for her boy :) ), but there are enough smart FB play makers to go around. We did pretty well with our talent in 1990.

It all goes back to winning, granted Tech is a much tougher school to go to than UGA, but if we were winning as many ball games as UGA then many more fans would be pulling for us(bandwagon or not it fills stadiums and looks good to anyone watching including recruits)and more athletes in georgia would rather come to TECH. If we win everything else gets easier, sellout crowds, recruiting, money you name it.

maybe CCG\'s one of those that learn from mistakes

if so, my guess is he'll be Tech material in a few years.

thats it folks, lawbee has spoken. we cant hire anybody. we are doomed , we must accept mediocrity, chan is the best we can get. get used to 6 wins , thats all we can hope for. we will never win the acc, we wont ever be in the top 10, we wont ever go to a real bowl game. we should move to the ivy league. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/FIREdevil.gif

Law_Bee are you pretending to be a Comp Expert?

Or did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last nite?

As someone who has made a career of exec comp work, let me assure you GTAA has plenty of professional counselors available to assist them in setting solid market-based compensation plans more than adequate to recruit and retain coaches.

If you are floating numbers around just to make the point that Tech may need to pay more to replace Coach Gailey in your opinion, just say so.

Re: DB was wrong in publicly stating requirements in

[ QUOTE ]
NUMBERS! That is just so superficial! ALL WE EVER ASKED WAS/IS TO SEE IMPROVEMENTS FROM YEAR TO YEAR...MORE CONSISTENT, BETTER PLAYCALLING AND EXECUTION. Since we play the best teams on the road, I think putting a number on it is stupid!! DB is a knucklehead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong. Finally, finally someone has given a goal without excuses. Surprisingly, it was Braine but thank God there is no doubt what a succesful season will be next year. THere is no doubt. Again, that schedule wouldnt have even been an issue as far as 7 wins 5-6 years ago. We were even 1 of "those" teams at 1 time. Goals ar impt, and they need to be specific at this point.

LawBee....Ive always enjoyed your posts..

along with Ahso you are one of the originals on StingTalk...But, I think you are overreacting with this post...

Im with NcJacket on this one, Dave Braine is just saying what any AD would say...He expects improvement with our Football team the next 2 years...Chan Gailey says the SAME thing...I heard Braine pregame last Saturday, I get the strong feeling he is 100% behind Chan...Remember, he went through the same thing with Hewitt, people on the internet and radio talk shows were asking GT to fire him and (I think he was in his 4th or 5th year, everything clicked and came together) Hewitt, got so mad that he called into the radio station when they knocked Luke S. and BLASTED the Station AND (Some people forget, he BLASTED the fans on the internet also)

I think you are somehow suggesting that all the sewage coming out of this board (I agree there have been some newcomers that sing the same ole tune every day, spouting out nothing but sewage) will affect Braine's final decision on Gailey...It will NOT...The bottom line is: What our Football team does on the field these next 2 year's will decide Gailey's fate...Braine and Clough are not that stupid, to allow some idiots on the internet shape their decisions...They went through that with Hewitt to some degree...I thought after 3 years here with Hewitt, Who is this guy and why did we hire him?, Boy was I wrong!!

Im with Big John, that the people that matter, have decided to give Chan his 5 years (Barring a complete meltdown in 2005) I feel just as strongly as you, Big John and MANY others that Chan will pull this off and is just a couple of pieces away (Chiefly QB) from a consistently dominating team...Then, we will all enjoy watching all these faceless negative posters dissapear!!!! Most of these negative posters are newcomers that have came on in the last 9 months...Make's you wonder, if Ms.Tech,Beebad,Beeware and a few others have not snuck back on under new names...Just kidding!!!

Back