YOUR choice for Head Coach...

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
I figured I'd beat you guys to the punch. This thread will be brought up this week at some point so might as well get it out now.

Although I think Chan should get 3 years DEFINATELY, 4 years if in the 3rd year we look solid. I cannot believe I'm even bringing this topic up, but better that I start it before Beeware comes on here and bestows who the "Chosen One" is to lead us back to the promise land. Just kidding.

Anyway, just for kicks and giggles, who would you want GT to interview as head coach? I would say the coach for Northern Illinois. This guy deserves a premier div 1 team. He's been beating the snot out of some very good programs both this year AND last year.

I agree with you completely about the NIU coach. However, we know nothing about standards at NIU....whether it would be like bringing in a Tarkanian.

I predict the NIU coach will be gone after THIS year.

In the meantime, we need a VERY GOOD OC!!

We got B.L. because of his performance at East Carolina, so I'd rather not go there with the NIU coach. I still like Charlie Strong, he may go out with the Zook wash in Florida now, instead of taking over. I think he would do plenty for the recruitment of black athletes in the state of Georgia that typically snub us now because he is an excellent recruiter. Anyway, my two choices when GOL abandoned us were Mac and Strong, but what do I know. In fact, I'd take June Jones if it would air us out a little bit, but why move from Hawaii?

I think it should be you BOR. What shade of gold hat would you choose?
wink.gif

You are probably right, this type of thread will appear here and on the Hive. So, just for speculation, I will play the game.

I don't even know the name of the coach at Northern Illinois, but his name will be known everywhere soon. I don't know anything about him, but if we have to secure a new coach, he should be one to consider.

I do not know that much about Spencer as far as his interaction with the players, but his bio shows he did a great job with West Georgia College in Carrollton.

Also, Nix has a great bio from his past jobs. The one drawback I would see from Nix is the possibility of going back to Auburn should Tuberville fail there. I would think these two would probably be on the list somewhere.

Yes, BeeWare, I am aware that the Bio does not mean everything.

I have heard rumors from several sources about Ross possibly wanting to get back into coaching. The only thing that worries me about him is his age of 66.

I suppose Robinson would be back on the list somewhere. Spurrier would be great if he opted out of the pro game, but we could not afford his salary, unless he already has more money than he needs and just wants a challenge.

I am hesitant to mention Roof, because he really has not proven himself yet.

The new coach at Navy from Georgia Southern seems to be doing pretty good against the second tier teams.

The coach at Connecticut appears to be faring well.

I am at a loss right now regarding the names out there at this time.

I do think we need a coach who is adept at the passing game and is very innovative. He must be able to win with a little less talent than the State teams, but he should be the type of coach that improves the players he recruits.

Personally, I would not have any of our previous coaches back. I think it would be huge mistake to consider O'Leary, O'Brien, or McWhorter. We woulD have a divided Tech fan base from the very beginning.

Just a few thoughts.

1signrunaway.gif

An additional thought, if it comes to a new coach, he had better be a great national recruiter. It appears the standards are being raised each year, and we will have to be more selective. This is one area that Gailey and the present staff may be improving.

comp3.gif

AHSO, Nice meeting you yesterday. I think you and I could do as well as the present staff.

From another thread, someone mentioned Brian Van Gorder. He does seem to be a good candidate. I do not consider him a UGA man. He has a paid job there, that is different than being a graduate from there.

peepwallA.gif

I feel too many people are reactionary about how a succesful coach might do somewhere else. BL had ONE good year and we hired him. The guy at NIU might fail miserably in another environment. I want CG to succeed here, but if not I want someone proven. Spurrier, Davis, Chow. And for the love of the Almighty he does not have to bee a "Tech Man."

OldFoggy, thanks! The next time around I will stay in college, get my degree, and become one of the GT coaches.

MiscDancfrog.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
From another thread, someone mentioned Brian Van Gorder. He does seem to be a good candidate. I do not consider him a UGA man. He has a paid job there, that is different than being a graduate from there.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahso:

I nominated VanGorder. You'll get your chance to see him in action when he comes to town in late November. This guy ain't pretty or polished but he is ALL football. Promise you that he would NOT tolerate a loosing season. Also, he is currently an assistant coach that we might could get at a cheaper HCing rate than what we are currently paying.

Buzz Bomb

VanGorder Link:
http://georgiadogs.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/vangorder_brian00.html

Hire anyone who could bring Norm Chow to us as offensive coordinator and we'd be fine.

Could we swipe Houston Nutt from Arkansas? Probably not.

Bob Pruet of Marshall. He has maintained what Donnan built there and expanded on it. It has become Quarterback U.

Charlie Strong could work.

Randy Edsell did good here with the D and is doing good at UConn.

Mack is a high risk pick. But, he has been around the Flats and the man can recruit. He is inspirational (I went from laughing his candidacy off to wanting him badly after just listening to his pre-game radion interview before the Seattle Bowl). If he brought in good coordinators, he'd be an unbelievable coach. (I see him as hands off for some reason).

How about Boise State's Dan Hawkins? He has put together a nice program together out (20-5). He also runs a fun offense.

Oh, I think any coach would do well to bring in Pat Sullivan as my quarterbacks coach. I watched a UAB game a couple weeks back and was very impressed. I mentioned how good the UAB QB looked and someone said Sullivan had a gift as a QB coach.

There has only been one person on the last 3 years that has coached the team in a game that we were proud of - Mac!

Originally posted by GMC 68:
There has only been one person on the last 3 years that has coached the team in a game that we were proud of - Mac!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I dont think Mac coached at Tech last year.. but I was pretty damned proud of us against NC State and Virginia... I also dont think Mac helped us this year against Auburn.. I was pretty proud of the team that game as well..

I honestly laugh at this Mac thing.. dont cha think that if Mac WAS that good he would have at least gotten offered a HC job somewhere ????

Oh GMC68 - bad form my friend. Mac is the only one to coach a game in the past few years we could bee proud of? I thought awebern was pretty cool. Much rather beat them than stanford.

Back