Your honest opinion/ regarding recruiting

The fact that guys we offer but don't end up getting seem to get arrested at like 10x the rate of guys that actually come to GT really speaks volumes about the environment at GT, IMO. I feel like at least one or two guys every year who GT recruited does something crazy like this.

You have to have your head on straight to go with GT vs. the factories. Thinking about it logically, there really isn't any reason to pick an Alabama, LSU, or uGA over a Stanford, ND, Michigan, or GT. All of the reasons people give for that decision are illogical, lazy, or narcissistic.

Last edited:
You have to have your head on straight to go with GT vs. the factories. Thinking about it logically, there really isn't any reason to pick an Alabama, LSU, or uGA over a Stanford, ND, Michigan, or GT. All of the reasons people give for that decision are illogical, lazy, or narcissistic.

You should meet the guy that once told me Tennessee was a better university than Tech because they were better at football, therefore the degree is worth more.

NFL baby! Everyone knows about LSU, Alabama, and UGAg each having more players in the Super Bowl than us.

Would we be any better off if we were not running the TO, or would we be less competitive in a more traditional offense.

I could be wrong but I think "recruiting rankings" were generally better with Gailey. I think the offense is a factor with lower recruiting rankings and I don't think anyone could argue otherwise.

That said Johnson is a better coach and he has better results. So really this only matter of whether you consider the early February rankings more meaningful than the early January rankings.

It is utterly amazing to me that just about every poster assumes there are only two coaching possibilities for GT in the universe, Gailey or Johnson. Folks, there are choices out there that could do much, much better than either of these choices.

Go and look at the list of candidates we considered with our last 2 searches and come back to talk about choices.

Go and look at the list of candidates we considered with our last 2 searches and come back to talk about choices.

I hear Rick Neuheisel is tearin' it up these days. Almost as good as Chris Hatcher.

I literally think Will Muschamp may have been the 3rd best choice (behind CPJ and CCG) of all of the candidates mentioned over the last 2 coaching searches. And he is terrible. Seriously people - you're upset that CPJ had a losing season after winning 11 games and the Orange Bowl. Can you imagine what the other guys would have done?

I hear Rick Neuheisel is tearin' it up these days. Almost as good as Chris Hatcher.

I literally think Will Muschamp may have been the 3rd best choice (behind CPJ and CCG) of all of the candidates mentioned over the last 2 coaching searches. And he is terrible. Seriously people - you're upset that CPJ had a losing season after winning 11 games and the Orange Bowl. Can you imagine what the other guys would have done?

It is kind of pathetic really. And the same people will make fun of Georgia fans for turning their backs really fast.

Right. And we would have never hired that Dwag anyway. He was like the 4th choice for South Carolina and I think it's a hire they will regret within 3 years.

I

I want to add that I am a huge Paul Johnson fan and think he's a hell of a coach. He's proven that he can win big with average talent. 3 out of the last 4 years we aren't getting average talent, at least on paper.

Johnson walked into a pretty good talent situation at GT. Proof: He went 17-7 his first two years. He is 35-37 since.

Call the talent average or below average or whatever: The bottom line is that the talent level is inadequate, and Johnson hasn't been able to win with it.

I don't understand why anyone is a "huge Paul Johnson fan". His win percentage is lower than Gailey's, even with the benefit of Gailey's recruits the first two years. His head coaching ability is a myth.

All records cited are FBS only. Johnson is "a hell of a coach"--- at the FCS level. He's 10-0 against them.

Johnson walked into a pretty good talent situation at GT. Proof: He went 17-7 his first two years. He is 35-37 since.

Call the talent average or below average or whatever: The bottom line is that the talent level is inadequate, and Johnson hasn't been able to win with it.

I don't understand why anyone is a "huge Paul Johnson fan". His win percentage is lower than Gailey's, even with the benefit of Gailey's recruits the first two years. His head coaching ability is a myth.

All records cited are FBS only. Johnson is "a hell of a coach"--- at the FCS level. He's 10-0 against them.

Yeah, we seem to have replaced Gailey's dependable mediocre with CPJ's erratic highs and lows. I'll take CPJ as he has produced more highs, but last year flat out sucked.

It is utterly amazing to me that just about every poster assumes there are only two coaching possibilities for GT in the universe, Gailey or Johnson. Folks, there are choices out there that could do much, much better than either of these choices.
Agree with you....if and it was big if..Chan would have gotten out of play calling we would have been better.zip think until we get natural players to run this offense we will be a 7 win team due to our opponents

Agree with you....if and it was big if..Chan would have gotten out of play calling we would have been better.zip think until we get natural players to run this offense we will be a 7 win team due to our opponents
Chan DID get out of play calling; he assigned that task to Pat Nix.

Whoops.

Except for that 2014 year.

Chan DID get out of play calling; he assigned that task to Pat Nix.

Whoops.
He did on paper but from all indications he still had too big a hand in the offense.....Folks forget at one time we even had the Dallas Texan coach who was working with the Fridge.

He did on paper but from all indications he still had too big a hand in the offense.....Folks forget at one time we even had the Dallas Texan coach who was working with the Fridge.

Didn't the Dallas Texans play in the WFL or the old AFL? Not too many coaches left from that era.

Didn't the Dallas Texans play in the WFL or the old AFL? Not too many coaches left from that era.
You are spot on...........the Dallas Texans did start in the AFL if memomory is correct(and that is not a given today) but point was that Bill had time to pick the brain of Fridge yet never really got the chance to be a OC since Chan called most of the playsI remember big conversations on play calling......my wife could tell me what plays was in the hopper when we had the ball.Thanks for reminding me about the old AFL clubs...........

You are spot on...........the Dallas Texans did start in the AFL if memomory is correct(and that is not a given today) but point was that Bill had time to pick the brain of Fridge yet never really got the chance to be a OC since Chan called most of the playsI remember big conversations on play calling......my wife could tell me what plays was in the hopper when we had the ball.Thanks for reminding me about the old AFL clubs...........

Just giving you a hard time. I knew you meant Houston, but you could have meant the old Colt 45's.

Shoot forgot about the old 45 team....mind leaves me at times..have a good one

Back