Your thoughts on Wes Durham poll....

Where do you rank Wes Durham?

• Larry Munson didn't have anything on Wes.

Votes: 53 44.9%
  • Durham is a very solid announcer, well worth having.

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • Durham is serviceable. Ehh.

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Wes really sucks. How about Tony Kornheiser?

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
I like him a lot. He's got the emotion, definitely! Watch videos of Calvin's "catch" in Clemson '04, the fumble vs. FSU last year, and the play where Dwyer took 5 Dookies for a ride on his back...

I like him, and I like his voice a lot. Yeah, he lacks the "personal" feel that Munson had (sorry to compare... really, I am). Seems like LM would always say things like "Oh, we're real mad now, oh it just breaks your heart to watch them march up and down the field", and Wes is more of an analytical guy... I dunno...

Anyways, I like him. He's been with us for a while, and I hope he'll stay for a while longer.

+1 Hes great his enthusiasm is what sets him apart and if they don't play well he says they don't LOVE HIM.... The calvin catch in 04 is a prime example

I like but cannot stand his "homer, excuse making, acussatory, whiner" of a father!

The only time I have ever cursed Wes Durham is when we played Vanderbilt in 2004, I was listening to the game on the radio at our hunt camp and we were down at the end of the game and driving and Ball scrambles to run the ball, and Wes said "Ball is loose!"

I was like NOOOOOOO!!!! Wait! Huh! WTF!!!????

It's pretty funny how he made that huge slipup during a game that everyone had to catch on the radio. I wish the call was on YouTube.

I wish the call was on YouTube.
You think you do, but you really don't.

Anytime you can erase (a) a Reggie Ball memory or (b) an overtime game against Vanderbilt from your memory bank is a good day.

Anytime you can erase (a) a Reggie Ball memory or (b) an overtime game against Vanderbilt from your memory bank is a good day.

:laugher: JoltinJacket, always there to catch me when I Ball.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Vanderbilt game was 2003. Reggie's freshman year.

Thankfully, OT is something we haven't seen since. I smell one coming this year, however.

I actually listened to Wes in the car on the way home from the Braves game earlier, and I must say he paints quite the picture of what's happening. He gets excited when the occasion calls for it. I'm fine with him being the "Voice of the Jackets" for years to come.

I really like Wes Durham as an announcer. Curious to see where others stack him up.

I'd be perfectly fine with Wes spending another 25 years on the flats.

Quite frankly, WD's schtick is getting old. Relies too much on his "cute" factor.

I really miss Al and Kim.

My first on-line poll...

Guess you have to have been here for 15 years for something like this to happen...

Thanks for the kind words from many of you.

Let's go get another one next Saturday night in Tallahassee.

Wes.

Listening to Wes do basketball games is hilarious. Calling a roundball game has to be one of the most difficult sports to call.

"We have the ball, they have the ball, no wait a second, its a steal and a putback, inbounds to Imo, pivots, fires, rims-out frommmmmm..........Bell, Bell picks it put it back and we're all knotted up at 2."

Re: My first on-line poll...

Guess you have to have been here for 15 years for something like this to happen...

Thanks for the kind words from many of you.

Let's go get another one next Saturday night in Tallahassee.

Wes.

Thank you for somehow making Tech football Saturdays more fun than they naturally are.

I love Wes, although I do think he has started to calm down more since he took the Falcons job. I loved calls like this: LINK

I like Wes's playcalling and GT is lucky to have him. Larry Munson's style pisses me off. I don't want to listen to an announcer constantly use personal pronouns. That is a precursor to a complete inability to announce a game fairly with the pertinent facts and statistics to the game and I will never respect you as an opposing fan. I'm willing to wager that opposing fans respect Wes's announcing even though he is announcing for us.

There is a balance between being a total obnoxious homer and an emotionless Joe Buck calling David Tyree's helmet catch. Marv Albert always had that balance when he was announcing for the Knicks and now presumably the Nets as well. Chip Caray on Braves broadcasts and Joe Simpson do not.

Wes announces with emotion when it needs to be there and he does a sufficient job of emphasizing his team, but he isn't over the top with blind homerism and rooting for the team while announcing. It's the fan's job to be cheering for the team, not the announcer. If the fan can't tell who to root for, then the fan is an idiot.

Back