Your Thursday Night Football Memories

The Jacket

The Coat
My first Thursday game was not my favorite, but it still sticks out in my mind as one of the most intense.

We were hosting Maryland in 2001 and as you all remember, they were red hot and we were trying to keep hope alive for an ACC title.

But the one thing that always stuck with me was the sense of foreboding that came on what would be the last play of the game. As the players were in the huddle, I really felt like something bad was about to happen. People in my section started yelling "Don't do it George!" .. "Do NOT give Joe the ball!" and other such things. Snap, give, pop and there was the ball floating in mid-air almost as I could have predicted that it would be. That remains to this day the worst I've felt leaving Bobby Dodd Stadium.

It was super sweet, however, two years later for us to beat Maryland in a defensive battle and to watch someone (From this board, I believe) throw their old seat-cushion on to the field after all those years.

I'm sure you've all got some far better than mine, so shoot.

Joe running out of bounds while trying to run out the clock in 2001 still sticks in my craw pretty badly.

The only Thursday game I've been to was that 7-3 slugfest vs. Maryland in '03. It was a great defensive struggle to watch against a highly ranked MD team.

One of my other favorites to watch was the Maryland game in '99. Baby Joe had the stage all to himself and accounted for almost 500 total yds in a 49-31 win.

NCstate, when calvin "muffed" that TD pass and it fell right into the hands of a 'pack member!!

Ive never felt the feeling of EXTREME HIGH, then EXTREME LOW at one time before. It was gut wrenching.

Man, that game sucked too.

I had a friend who'd flown in from the west coast. We had our old 2nd row tickets for that game, and she'd gone to Stanford, so the most football she ever saw in person was "The Big Game," which is about the most boring piece of crap excuse for football that exists in this country. She was amazed by the Georgia Tech experience, even though we lost.

Yeesh, are there any good memories from Thursday Night?

I think Calvin smoked UVA one year..

NCstate, when calvin "muffed" that TD pass and it fell right into the hands of a 'pack member!!

Ive never felt the feeling of EXTREME HIGH, then EXTREME LOW at one time before. It was gut wrenching.
Thanks for reminding me of that one. Time for more therapy...

The worst part about that game was not that game itself, it was the game against the mutts that season. Because right before Reggie made that pass I sat there thinking "Huh this looks familiar... just like... [interception] ...NC State..."

My favorite memory of Thursday Night games was the day of the game itself. Sitting in Prob/Stat, drinking wine out of a grape gatorade bottle with a couple of guys, getting good and hammered in class.

It seems like we've got some good, bad and really, really bad but nothing really, really good.
I'd say for anyone at the UVA game two years ago, that was a really, really good game. The best looking jerseys I've us wear, and Calvin doing pretty much anything he wanted, all night long.

Let's see, I was a freshman in 2003, so that was an away game.

2004 was the blown 4th quarter lead to VPI.

2005 was the aforementioned NCSU game.

2006, though. I think my brother summed it up best when he said "[UVA] couldn't score against air."

I think my favorite part about the Thursday games as a student is that I just went to Junior's for dinner before hand and then walked to the stadium. Also, I loved the atmosphere at night games so that added to it as well.

Now that I'm in the "real world" with a job and whatnot I like Thursday games because they're on national TV and give me an excuse to leave work early.

I'd say for anyone at the UVA game two years ago, that was a really, really good game. The best looking jerseys I've us wear, and Calvin doing pretty much anything he wanted, all night long.
I was there and we absolutely played really, really well. But there was nothing about that game that felt like it was one we'd be talking about for years to come.

I'll always remember the feeling of having my heart ripped out by Burns' fumble or Calvin's missed catch or losing a sure win against Virginia Tech in 2004. Hell, we could even include road games and it gets worse. Kerry's drop in 2000 or the absolute shellacking by Maryland in 2002.

2000 - Watkins' drop

2001 - Burns' fumble

2002 - Maryland whallop

2004 - Choke against VT

2005 - Calvin's muffed catch

2007 - VT smacks us around in our own jerseys

Lots of bad memories, now that I think about it. I think this needs to stop tomorrow night. :)

How about when reggie ran out the back of the endzone. VT 04 that was fun.

Another couple good memories:

2000- Almost forgot I went to this game, but Godsey & Co. absolutely steamrolled UVA 35-0.

1998- Joe Burns scored the winning TD in the final minute to steal a win at Clemson and keep us in the ACC title race.

2003 Maryland:GT won 7-3. I love watching great defensive play. Its like each first down is a huge accomplishment. I lost my voice for 2 days.

1994 Arizona:GT lost 19-14. Arizona was ranked #4 I think and we broke out the Gold jerseys for the first time in my life. Teddy Bruschi dominated us as would the rest of the teams on our schedule. We shortly got rid of Bill Lewis and the "Turf".

I don't think anyone has mentioned the 1995 game against Maryland. This Thursday was memorbale for two reasons. One is that the jackets knocked off #16 Maryland. Two is that the student section pumbled the north end zone with seat cushions after a couple of GT touchdowns. That night has to be one of our best and most memorable Thursday night performances.

1994 Arizona:GT lost 19-14. Arizona was ranked #4 I think and we broke out the Gold jerseys for the first time in my life. Teddy Bruschi dominated us as would the rest of the teams on our schedule. We shortly got rid of Bill Lewis and the "Turf".

I believe Zona and their "Desert Swarm" defense were preseason #1 in Sports Illustrated. Wasn't that the game that Tech dominated until the last 5 minutes or so when a blocked punt(?) turned it all around?

It seems like we've got some good, bad and really, really bad but nothing really, really good.
Let not your hearts be troubled, Tech men, good and true. There is a new day dawning brightly and tomorrow night the joyous strains of our victory songs will echo through the campus. The bad times are done. Look forward with a vision of triumph. Tampa awaits the swarm of gold.

I vaguely remember this game....my mom took me to it. I was 13 years old.

Was Donnie Davis on this team?

As I recall, I was VERY excited to go seeing as tho' the Arizona Wildcats graced the cover of SI Magazine that year.

Another year, I believe we played FSU on a Thursday night...is that so?

Back