Your Thursday Night Football Memories

This is my most favorite memory of Thursday nights. Mover may remember this as it was during his years.

Playing UVA (I think...?). They have the ball about our 2 or 3; ballcarrier has a hole a semi could drive through. Easy score, right?

Nope. Mr. Roof showed up. Ball carrier went over backwards; helmet went straight up in the air; ball floated oh so gently on forward and out of the endzone. One of the hardest hits I have ever seen in college football.

My first Thursday game was not my favorite, but it still sticks out in my mind as one of the most intense.

We were hosting Maryland in 2001 and as you all remember, they were red hot and we were trying to keep hope alive for an ACC title.

But the one thing that always stuck with me was the sense of foreboding that came on what would be the last play of the game. As the players were in the huddle, I really felt like something bad was about to happen. People in my section started yelling "Don't do it George!" .. "Do NOT give Joe the ball!" and other such things. Snap, give, pop and there was the ball floating in mid-air almost as I could have predicted that it would be. That remains to this day the worst I've felt leaving Bobby Dodd Stadium.

It was super sweet, however, two years later for us to beat Maryland in a defensive battle and to watch someone (From this board, I believe) throw their old seat-cushion on to the field after all those years.

I'm sure you've all got some far better than mine, so shoot.

2000 vs UVa, 35-0 good guys, Godsey was a freakin machine, humiliated George Welsh in his last game against us.

Back