You've accepted mediocrity when...

Outperformed themselves? No way.

Gailey's teams have never:

1) Won an ACC championship
2) Finished in the top 25
3) Beat UGA
4) Finished with less than 5 losses

Agreed...where did we outperform ourselves? Every team upsets 1 team they shouldn't have year in and year out...those are 1 off events. We do that once and a while, just as we lose to teams we shouldn't.

We have never categorically outperformed ourselves. How is 7-5 with two wins over 1AA teams (ie 5-5 in 1A) considered outperforming? Especially when one of those 5-5 wins is Duke.

Please.

Outperformed themselves? No way.

Gailey's teams have never:

1) Won an ACC championship
2) Finished in the top 25
3) Beat UGA
4) Finished with less than 5 losses
Reading comprehesion problems? His point is that (prior to last year's class) none of Gailey's recruiting classes nor Oleary's last 2 recruiting classes were ranked in the top two-thirds of the ACC. Yet we finish in the top half of the conference every year. It's a valid point.

I don't care how great of a coach you have - if he doesn't have the players, he can only do so much.

I've said it a million times on here - up until last year, we didn't have enough talent and depth on both lines to consistently compete with the teams that just hand out schollies and the kids accept. Last year is the first year that GT was on an even playing field (in terms of talent) with everyone on the schedule, IMO. There are certainly valid questions about the last 3 games of last season and the start to this season but it's not productive to keep going back to stuff that happened 2+ years ago.

CCG Apologist Maxim #327:

Recruiting rankings are meaningful only when convenient to the defense of our great and fearless leader.

Reading comprehesion problems? His point is that (prior to last year's class) none of Gailey's recruiting classes nor Oleary's last 2 recruiting classes were ranked in the top two-thirds of the ACC. Yet we finish in the top half of the conference every year. It's a valid point.

I don't care how great of a coach you have - if he doesn't have the players, he can only do so much.

Thanks for clarifying my point. The "reading comprehension" part was pretty funny, too.
I am willing to wait and see what happens when we have better players on the field and Gailey, hopefully, less micromanaging on gameday.

how many major college coaches who have lost 5 in a row to the main rival have kept theyre job.

Let's see, ... Bobby Bowden.

He lost 6 in a row to Florida, 1981-1986, and also lost 6 in a row to Miami 2000-2004.

Let's see ... Tom Osborne.

Lost his first 5 games to Oklahoma and 8 of his first 9.

Hell, William Alexander went 0-5-1 against UGAg from 1929-1934 and kept his job.

Ray Goof lost 5 in a row to Florida and kept his job. He did get fired after number 6, however.

CCG Apologist Maxim #327:

Recruiting rankings are meaningful only when convenient to the defense of our great and fearless leader.
If this was directed at me...

First - recruiting has been used by the fire Gailey crowd as well. But he has taken action to make improvements (and established the relationships necessary to recruit - something that can only be built over time)...

Second - I don't care so much for rankings but I do monitor number of guys recruited on both lines. We had a deficit in that area through most of Gailey's first 3 or so seasons (and we played a bunch of young guys in the 4th season). Look at UGA the last 2 years - their talent on the OL and the DL (as a group- they have individual DLs that are solid) just isn't there for whatever reason and it's affecting the results on the field. My evaluation of Gailey as head coach (whatever that means) started last year when we had the right mix of talent, depth, and experience on the lines.

Agreed...where did we outperform ourselves? Every team upsets 1 team they shouldn't have year in and year out...those are 1 off events. We do that once and a while, just as we lose to teams we shouldn't.

We have never categorically outperformed ourselves. How is 7-5 with two wins over 1AA teams (ie 5-5 in 1A) considered outperforming? Especially when one of those 5-5 wins is Duke.

Please.

The year of Flunkgate, GT should not have had a winning season, period. That year, if none other, GT categorically outperformed itself. On the other hand, both last year and this year so far, I have been disappointed.

nor Oleary's last 2 recruiting classes were ranked in the top two-thirds of the ACC.

Scout only goes back to 2002 but i am pretty sure that this is not true. O'leary's last few classes were loaded. We lost some key members of those classes to funkgate and other issues but they were highly rated.

Gailey's first couple of classes were horrible based on recruiting rankings.

Scout only goes back to 2002 but i am pretty sure that this is not true. O'leary's last few classes were loaded. We lost some key members of those classes to funkgate and other issues but they were highly rated.

Gailey's first couple of classes were horrible based on recruiting rankings.
I don't know if O'leary's last 2 classes (including the 2002 class when Gailey only came in 1 month prior to signing day) were that highly ranked - but I'm pretty sure they weren't. I think GO'L had 2 classes that were in the national top 25 and they were earlier in his tenure. But I do know 2 things about those classes:

1 - most of the guys that flunked out came from those classes. And one that we couldn't get in (thank God) was Pacman Jones
2 - neither class was loaded with linemen. You can have a 25 man class with all 4 and 5 star skill players but if you don't keep the lines stocked the skill players aren't going to help you.

Ok, so 2 10-win seasons the 90's, call it 2 every 10 years...Gailey should've given us one by now...oh wait, he could've last year but we couldn't beat Wake, that's right..couldn't even score a freakin' TD! Not to mention UGA...9 wins, a trip to the ACCCG but finishing unranked, I think that about sums it up.

Lets start simple...how about just finishing a season ranked?!

That's fair enough. I still think he's a decent on-the-field coach who poorly handled motivating his team and recruiting his first four years. I still have hope for him based on his recent recruiting and on the (better) assistant coaches he's brought in. The rest of the season will definitely decide it for me though.

The other 3000 coaches saw fit to make a change, Ray Goff was whipping TECH just about every year, so that was buying him time. Bobby Bowden took over for Dr. Darryl Mudra who has just removed FSU from being an all girls school. As far as Oklahom a

Ray Goff was whipping our butts during that time, that bought him some time. Bobby Bowden had just taken over for Dr Darryl Mudra who has just removed FSU from being an all girls school. As far as Tom Osborne, during that time Oklahoma was ruling all of the college football world under Bud Wilkinson. Regarding William Alexander, i am old but that was before my time.

I don't know if O'leary's last 2 classes (including the 2002 class when Gailey only came in 1 month prior to signing day) were that highly ranked - but I'm pretty sure they weren't. I think GO'L had 2 classes that were in the national top 25 and they were earlier in his tenure. But I do know 2 things about those classes:

1 - most of the guys that flunked out came from those classes. And one that we couldn't get in (thank God) was Pacman Jones
2 - neither class was loaded with linemen. You can have a 25 man class with all 4 and 5 star skill players but if you don't keep the lines stocked the skill players aren't going to help you.

The transition class was horrible by any standard and half of that class flunked out.

Here is the 2000 class, which was talented, highly rated, and hit hard by flunkgate:

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Tech's 2000 Signees[/FONT] [FONT=arial, helvetica] Jonathan Cox, CB, Chicago
Nate Curry, WR, Miami
Jimmy Dixon, RB, Arlington, Texas
J.P. Foschi, TE, Old Brookville, N.Y.
Keyaron Fox, LB, Atlanta
Matt Graviet, OL, Lewes, Del.
Sterling Green, FS, Hyattsville, Md.
Hobie Holiday, LB, Warner Robins, Ga.
Tony Hollings, DB, Jeffersonville, Ga.
Johnathan Jackson, HB/FB, Jacksonville, Fla.
Reggie Koon, DL, Miramar, Fla.
[/FONT] [FONT=arial, helvetica] Mark Logan, QB, Greenwood, S.C.
Brian Lumar, WR/ATH, Edgard, La.
Alfred Malone, DE, Frisco City, Ala.
Derrick Mincey, HB/FB, Lyons, Ga.
Jeremy Phillips, OL, Watkinsville, Ga.
Leon Robinson, OL, Garden City, Ala.
Daryl Smith, LB, Albany, Ga.
Jonathan Smith, ATH, Argyle, Ga.
Brandon Sumner, QB, Daytona Beach, Fla.
Chirod Williams, DE, Jacksonville, Fla.
Darius Williams, TE, Clarkston, Ga.
[/FONT]
I can't find the 2001 class, which was also talented and more highly rated. I am pretty sure it included guys like Landry, Houston Bilbo, Nat Dorsey, Dennis Davis, Eric Henderson and Levon Thomas.

I just don't get some of ya'lls love affair w/ Gailey, I really don't. It's like trying to reason w/ a liberal. I guess we just have different visions for GT football.

The transition class was horrible by any standard and half of that class flunked out.

Here is the 2000 class, which was talented, highly rated, and hit hard by flunkgate:

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Tech's 2000 Signees[/FONT] [FONT=arial, helvetica]Jonathan Cox, CB, Chicago[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Nate Curry, WR, Miami[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Jimmy Dixon, RB, Arlington, Texas[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]J.P. Foschi, TE, Old Brookville, N.Y.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Keyaron Fox, LB, Atlanta[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Matt Graviet, OL, Lewes, Del.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Sterling Green, FS, Hyattsville, Md.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Hobie Holiday, LB, Warner Robins, Ga.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Tony Hollings, DB, Jeffersonville, Ga.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Johnathan Jackson, HB/FB, Jacksonville, Fla.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Reggie Koon, DL, Miramar, Fla.[/FONT] [FONT=arial, helvetica]Mark Logan, QB, Greenwood, S.C.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Brian Lumar, WR/ATH, Edgard, La.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Alfred Malone, DE, Frisco City, Ala.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Derrick Mincey, HB/FB, Lyons, Ga.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Jeremy Phillips, OL, Watkinsville, Ga.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Leon Robinson, OL, Garden City, Ala.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Daryl Smith, LB, Albany, Ga.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Jonathan Smith, ATH, Argyle, Ga.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Brandon Sumner, QB, Daytona Beach, Fla.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Chirod Williams, DE, Jacksonville, Fla.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Darius Williams, TE, Clarkston, Ga.[/FONT]
I can't find the 2001 class, which was also talented and more highly rated. I am pretty sure it included guys like Landry, Houston Bilbo, Nat Dorsey, Dennis Davis, Eric Henderson and Levon Thomas.
Thanks - the only productive linemen out of that class were Leon Robinson and Jeremy Phillips and the rarely (if ever) contributed at 100% due to injury. A couple of the lineman from that class weren't even around when the first ball was snapped that season.

Here's the 2001 class.
Anyansi, Tabugbo
Besirevic, Salih (Starter as a SR)
Bilbo, Damarius
Billy, Omar (career backup Dlineman)
Bowers-Wilkerson, Gerris
Butler, James
Davis, Dennis
Dorsey, Nathan (One of the best linemen recruited by GO'L - but underachieved his JR season, then left early for the NFL)
Findlay, Garran (provided some OL depth)
Hargrove, Tony (could've been a good one - lost to flunkgate)
Henderson, Eric (badass)
Honeycutt, Brad (solid multi year starter)
Houston, Reuben
Johnson, Brian
Johnson, Rahshan
Kuale, EJ (vaguely remember him but he was either a flunkgate casualty or transferred early)
Landry, Dawan
Lee, LeRon
Parker, Travis (another good DLineman, but an academic casualty as a SR)
Suggs, AJ
Tarquinio, Gavin
Thomas, Levon
Tidwell-Neal, Andy (Great center, very long and productive career - one of my favorites)
Wallace, Kyle (very good multi-year starter at OT)
Wolf, Scott (did he even make it to campus?)

So the '01 class was better than I remember for total OLs and DLs but still less than half of them played out their full eligibility.

Also Nebraska's AD getting fired for firing Solich is a wakeup call for AD's screwing up and losing their job.
If i remember correct Nebraska fired a coach that was winning on average 9-10 games a year, Solich just wasnt winning national championships. I dont think anybody on this board would be complaining if we were winning 10 games a season. They just get tired of 7-5 seasons with a couple of those loses coming to teams like Maryland and UVA which arent as good as us.

Back