“I’ve been a tech fan longer than you.”

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Was texting my dad during the game yesterday that this was the most frustrating game I’ve ever seen. His response was to say I’ve been a tech fan longer and that this indeed wasn’t the most frustrating game he’d seen.

I think most are mad because we know that should have been a win. But let’s remember. This is GeorgiaTech. It’s misery after misery. But then tech wins a championship and propels to greatness. It’s been done over and over the last 120 years. I don’t know how long it will be, but it will happen again. Because this is Georgia Tech, and they simply just do great things.

This is part of why I don't like arguing with people about Tech anymore. In another five minutes, it'll be 2030 and what's going to happen will have happened. I never think about 2010 anymore. I try to think of current seasons the way I think of the ones I've read about from the Heisman and Dodd eras. It's never the end, just a bad part of the story.

Most frustrating? Ross's first 2 and a third seasons. I knew we were doing the right things, but the payoff was painfully slow.

So if that was before your time, I am not interested in your scale of what is frustrating.

I was at the game vs. Memphis State in 1981 where we lost to them at home 15-28 two weeks after beating #2 Alabama.

We ended up 1-10. Memphis State ended up 1-10.

so not "most frustrating"
I was there, too! Ah, the Bill Curry years! Sigh.

For me, most frustrating had to be the 7-7 tie against Florida in 1979. We were coming off a fair/decent season with a Peach Bowl appearance. Florida went 0-10-1 that year. Didn't help that many of my friends were Gators.

I was there, too! Ah, the Bill Curry years! Sigh.

For me, most frustrating had to be the 7-7 tie against Florida in 1979. We were coming off a fair/decent season with a Peach Bowl appearance. Florida went 0-10-1 that year. Didn't help that many of my friends were Gators.

IIRC to make it worse, there were several season ending injuries on both sides that night.

IIRC to make it worse, there were several season ending injuries on both sides that night.
Yep. I remember that Florida lost its best player for the season. Can't remember who else was lost. Fun Fact: Florida's QB was injured in the 3rd quarter when he slipped on a soda cap thrown on the field - students frisbeeing soda caps onto the field during the 3rd quarter was apparently some kind of weird Florida tradition.

Does it matter which one was the "most" frustrating game/season. We get to experience plenty of very frustrating games and seasons...

Last edited:
2009 clean old fashioned hate. We were the better team with a chance to step on their throats and just choked.

This was the reason I was ok with uga cancelling the game this year. We got some talent but we’re still very young. And we will get better and they won’t be very good this year but this team would still come up short then I would have to stab someone. Readjust your expectations for the season, future is still bright.

I was at the game vs. Memphis State in 1981 where we lost to them at home 15-28 two weeks after beating #2 Alabama.

We ended up 1-10. Memphis State ended up 1-10.

so not "most frustrating"
I was there too. Literally left the game in tears. Perhaps I was taking things a bit too seriously.

There have been so many frustrating moments, in so many frustrating games, over so many frustrating seasons. And yet, here I am.

Cuz there's just nothing like that special day after Thanksgiving in 2008. Or in 2014. Or whatever. The high highs are always better than the low lows (which is why I'm still a CPJ fan despite everything).

This is also the way it works in life with people and everything. Over time, after someone dies, you forget all the things you hated about them (unless you have a psychological disorder, definitely a possibility) and just remember the good times. The bad times don't bring a frown to your face any more, but the good things still bring a smile to your face and warm-fuzzies to your soul.

Last edited:
Was texting my dad during the game yesterday that this was the most frustrating game I’ve ever seen. His response was to say I’ve been a tech fan longer and that this indeed wasn’t the most frustrating game he’d seen.

I think most are mad because we know that should have been a win. But let’s remember. This is GeorgiaTech. It’s misery after misery. But then tech wins a championship and propels to greatness. It’s been done over and over the last 120 years. I don’t know how long it will be, but it will happen again. Because this is Georgia Tech, and they simply just do great things.
My dad, IM '50 used to say the losses are always more bitter than the wins are satisfying.

Most frustrating? Ross's first 2 and a third seasons. I knew we were doing the right things, but the payoff was painfully slow.

So if that was before your time, I am not interested in your scale of what is frustrating.
Can you say you know we are "doing the right things" now?

Can you say you know we are "doing the right things" now?
yes. easily.

rebuilding the offensive line. rebuilding the defense. getting talented skill position people.

Sorry our true and redshirt freshmen are still learning, but they already have an impact.

We beat Miami and FSU. Those are proofs of concepts. But we were young and thin and not ready last year and we are young and thin and not quite ready this year. But we are already stronger and I don't think we are that far from clicking.

The first two years are too early for ignorant bitching. The task too monumental. National people see that easily. Only the local dinosaurs are blind to it.

We beat Miami and FSU.

also could be proof that they suck.
Collins' 4 wins have come against three teams that did not have winning records last year and a team that is 0-2 and looked bad doing it.

yes. easily.

rebuilding the offensive line. rebuilding the defense. getting talented skill position people.

Sorry our true and redshirt freshmen are still learning, but they already have an impact.

We beat Miami and FSU. Those are proofs of concepts. But we were young and thin and not ready last year and we are young and thin and not quite ready this year. But we are already stronger and I don't think we are that far from clicking.

The first two years are too early for ignorant bitching. The task too monumental. National people see that easily. Only the local dinosaurs are blind to it.
How many years before folks can bitch? Five years? Ten years? Would eight more years of this be enough for those who are bitching to get special dispensation from you?

Are you one of those fellas who said we should have given Bill Lewis more time?

FUN FACT: Bill Lewis' W/L record was much better than CGC's. CGC will have to go 8-7 over the next 15 games to beat Bill Lewis' record.

Back