14 game playoff

The NCAA makes very little from football. I understand you are passionate about this, hence your post count in this thread, but please educate yourself in the matter.
I understand they are only the governing body and P4 CFB isn’t truly run like the NCAAT is. So the easiest thing to do would be to eliminate them from the equation altogether. They are poor at running and attempting to regulate the sport they have lost complete control of. The way they hand out and retract bogus sanctions is proof positive of how inefficient they truly are. Agree or disagree?

There is no doubt that while the ACC slept, the Big Ten and SEC grabbed major college football teams. They will always get ahead in anything subjective (there are simply more writers voting in the Big Ten region for example). So grabbing two autos for the ACC is not bad. The problem I have is that the Big 12 leftovers have done nothing, ever! Their conference is deep and decent, but the ACC has created national champions. Why do they deserve the recognition equal to the ACC? This is a dumb move brought by sec, big ten to further separate parties. Vote no.
For the most part, I agree with your post. That said, TCU did just play for an MNC 2 years ago. Accomplishing more than the 2 new sec teams in Texas, OU by actually winning a CFP semifinal game.

I understand they are only the governing body and P4 CFB isn’t truly run like the NCAAT is. So the easiest thing to do would be to eliminate them from the equation altogether. They are poor at running and attempting to regulate the sport they have lost complete control of. The way they hand out and retract bogus sanctions is proof positive of how inefficient they truly are. Agree or disagree?
I should have toned down the directness of my candor last night, those margaritas are a bitch.

I saw today the NCAA has given up any enforcement of NIL rules. This is after another injunction to prohibit any transfer restrictions.

It is truly the wild west. I enjoy watching GT football but will pass on the rest.

For the most part, I agree with your post. That said, TCU did just play for an MNC 2 years ago. Accomplishing more than the 2 new sec teams in Texas, OU by actually winning a CFP semifinal game.
Yes but the main point is that the ACC needs to define itself as part of the Top Three Conferences. We have multiple champions and unlike the Big 12 are not a mismatch of broken conferences (yet).

ACC b12 and whoever else should just bow out. That’s retarded. Let them have their own unwatchable circle jerk
Agreed. This path is just trying to mimic the NFL and will never succeed. College football needs to find its own niche and exploit that.

ACC b12 and whoever else should just bow out. That’s retarded. Let them have their own unwatchable circle jerk
So in other words, the ACC / B12 should spin off with the G5 and have their own championship? You do realize the $$$ being paid out for the CFP, right? The B1G, sec have all the leverage now, and want exactly what you're saying. The ACC / B12 have no power, and have to just go along with what is being agreed to at this point. Otherwise they get no $$$, pretty much ensuring the ACC / B12 are completely dissolved in 3 years.

So in other words, the ACC / B12 should spin off with the G5 and have their own championship? You do realize the $$$ being paid out for the CFP, right? The B1G, sec have all the leverage now, and want exactly what you're saying. The ACC / B12 have no power, and have to just go along with what is being agreed to at this point. Otherwise they get no $$$, pretty much ensuring the ACC / B12 are completely dissolved in 3 years.
Yes you are correct. However I wonder if ESPN figured out that a depleted college scene may not work the best. Remember TV fans turned off the SEC only championships.

Yes. That’s what I’m saying. This all stupid at this point. You really taking it this serious? College football is dissolving itself, I’m not gonna take it that serious.

Why are they so eager to move past the 12-team playoff? Its design is fair and makes sense.
- Rank the teams
- Take the top 5 conference champs + 7 at-large
- Top 4 conference champs get first-round byes

Why are they so eager to move past the 12-team playoff? Its design is fair and makes sense.
- Rank the teams
- Take the top 5 conference champs + 7 at-large
- Top 4 conference champs get first-round byes

Because a 14 team playoff is just as fair and makes just as much sense and likely results in more money.

7 at large teams is a pretty arbitrary number and I don't see how that is fair but 9 at large teams isn't.

Don’t get hung up on 14 as it’s going way past that number once we have a few years of huge TV numbers and money. I can’t wait.

Because a 14 team playoff is just as fair and makes just as much sense and likely results in more money.

7 at large teams is a pretty arbitrary number and I don't see how that is fair but 9 at large teams isn't.
I never said 9 at large isn't fair. The 12 team playoff with 5 top conference champs and 7 at large is already fair enough.

The main point is that the expansion of playoffs at this point is about greed and not designing a better method for crowning the best team in CFB. Arguably, the best system for crowning a champ in CFB would be a 4 to 8 team playoff. Anything beyond 8 starts to undervalue the regular season. 12 is more than ample.

Looking at this past year's rankings, the last two in for a 12 team playoff would be Ole Miss and Oklahoma. For a 14 team playoff (if 9 at large, though I think it will just be more AQs for the top conferences), it would also include LSU and Arizona, both three-loss teams. Just seems excessive at that point...

I never said 9 at large isn't fair. The 12 team playoff with 5 top conference champs and 7 at large is already fair enough.

The main point is that the expansion of playoffs at this point is about greed and not designing a better method for crowning the best team in CFB. Arguably, the best system for crowning a champ in CFB would be a 4 to 8 team playoff. Anything beyond 8 starts to undervalue the regular season. 12 is more than ample.

Looking at this past year's rankings, the last two in for a 12 team playoff would be Ole Miss and Oklahoma. For a 14 team playoff (if 9 at large, though I think it will just be more AQs for the top conferences), it would also include LSU and Arizona, both three-loss teams. Just seems excessive at that point...
One correction based on the 12 team format. Liberty and not OU would have been in as the highest G5 team as the 12 seed. The G5 will get a rep for at least the 2024, 2025 season(s).

So a CFB in 2023 would have been:

1. Michigan - Bye
2. Washington- Bye
3. Texas - Bye
4. Alabama - Bye

Round 1:
5. FSU vs 12. Liberty @ FSU
6. UGA vs 11. Ole Miss @ UGA
7. tOSU vs 10. PSU @ tOSU
8. Oregon vs 9. Mizzou @ Oregon

More than likely Ole Miss and PSU would have magically flipped seeds to prevent a re-match of a regular season game.

If there are any upsets (like #12 Liberty beating #5 FSU) this does not mean Michigan would have played Liberty. Games are slotted based on format.

#1 vs #8/9 winner
#2 vs #7/10 winner
#3 vs. #6/11 winner
#4 vs #5/#12 winner

To have a truly meaningful college football system we need to replace the second half of the regular season with a 6 week 128 team playoff.

One correction based on the 12 team format. Liberty and not OU would have been in as the highest G5 team as the 12 seed. The G5 will get a rep for at least the 2024, 2025 season(s).

So a CFB in 2023 would have been:

1. Michigan - Bye
2. Washington- Bye
3. Texas - Bye
4. Alabama - Bye

Round 1:
5. FSU vs 12. Liberty @ FSU
6. UGA vs 11. Ole Miss @ UGA
7. tOSU vs 10. PSU @ tOSU
8. Oregon vs 9. Mizzou @ Oregon

More than likely Ole Miss and PSU would have magically flipped seeds to prevent a re-match of a regular season game.

If there are any upsets (like #12 Liberty beating #5 FSU) this does not mean Michigan would have played Liberty. Games are slotted based on format.

#1 vs #8/9 winner
#2 vs #7/10 winner
#3 vs. #6/11 winner
#4 vs #5/#12 winner
Oh, I thought the top 5 conference champs were:
Michigan - B1G
Washington - Pac12
Texas - Big12
Bama - SEC
FSU - ACC

Back