2018 Preseason Probability Poll Results

So, we won 3 of 5 toughest games, and 4 of 7 easiest games. Or, 3 of 6 of the hardest games and 4 of 6 of the easiest games. In all, that makes it an average to below average season. If we win all 3 of those middle games it would be an excellent season, if we win 2 of those it would be a great season, and even just 1 of those 3 it would be a good season. That's my takeaway, as I really feel that those middle 3 games on the relative difficulty scale are the ones that define our season. I'd like to see everyone's opinion on that.

This is the sort of discussion I've been seeing in a couple of other threads here (and on some other forums) today, about recalibrating our success metrics to focus more on success that should be attainable. I'd like to beat U[sic]GA every year, but that's not a reasonable goal. But if we can't compete with and expect to beat Duke, Pitt, [generic G5 OOC team like USF] every year, then something needs to change. Our current initiatives to raise money, improve facilities, hire more assistants, wear better uniforms, etc. aren't going to make any difference against U[sic]GA, but maybe they can make a difference relative to most of the rest of the ACC. (Other stuff like getting our fans to show up and have an impact on the game should also be a big point of emphasis.)

JRjr

This is the sort of discussion I've been seeing in a couple of other threads here (and on some other forums) today, about recalibrating our success metrics to focus more on success that should be attainable. I'd like to beat U[sic]GA every year, but that's not a reasonable goal. But if we can't compete with and expect to beat Duke, Pitt, [generic G5 OOC team like USF] every year, then something needs to change. Our current initiatives to raise money, improve facilities, hire more assistants, wear better uniforms, etc. aren't going to make any difference against U[sic]GA, but maybe they can make a difference relative to most of the rest of the ACC. (Other stuff like getting our fans to show up and have an impact on the game should also be a big point of emphasis.)

JRjr

Sure, even in a 10-win season you lose 2 games. So if you write off the 2 toughest games in a schedule, that means you need to be winning the other 10.

I'm sure the SEC West teams would like to beat Bama every year, but we don't see that happening. Or the Atlantic teams beating Clemson.

We've won 2 of the last 5 against Georgia, and as someone posted but probably got wiped out yesterday, we haven't won 4 games against UGA in a decade since the 1960s. As a fanbase we should be happy with a 40% winning percentage, historically speaking.

We definitely need to stop losing to teams like USF, Pitt and Duke.

Back