2020 Recruiting

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
Hybrid S/LB kind of like Kaleb Oliver right now, is my guess. He really rushes the passer well as a LB in HS.

AlaGold

Dodd-Like
So at this point do we only take DT in our last few spots?
That's a great question.I love this guy but we NEED 2 DTs and not just bodies.If not 2 yrs from now we will still be having these DL problems

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
We signed 2, possibly even 3 interior DL last year so we have some numbers. Plus most of the 2-deep there is young. I still think we need 1 or 2 DTs in this class.

I feel Javier Morton has a ship if he wants it. Going to run into a scholly issue sooner rather than later...coach gets paid the big bucks to manage through that.

Architorture23

They may like Harrell (5.9 4 star on Rivals) better than Morton. Harrell is on OV this weekend.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
We need more DL’s than WRs’s. Watching the LSU/Auburn game and Bama and Florida teams, they are built from the DL out. We need as many of them as we can get. Watching Auburn rotate in stud after stud makes me jealous. WR’s and DB’s don’t need to be rotated as much. I want big bodies because everyone has decent offenses, but those in the top 8 are built around defensive lines.

Architorture23

We need more DL’s than WRs’s. Watching the LSU/Auburn game and Bama and Florida teams, they are built from the DL out. We need as many of them as we can get. Watching Auburn rotate in stud after stud makes me jealous. WR’s and DB’s don’t need to be rotated as much. I want big bodies because everyone has decent offenses, but those in the top 8 are built around defensive lines.
We are not turning away DTs in order to sign WRs or DBs or whatever. This is a giant red herring. The staff has DT targets and they know how many they need.

There just aren't as many DTs and they don't tend to commit as early because of their high demand.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
We signed 2, possibly even 3 interior DL last year so we have some numbers. Plus most of the 2-deep there is young. I still think we need 1 or 2 DTs in this class.

I feel Javier Morton has a ship if he wants it. Going to run into a scholly issue sooner rather than later...coach gets paid the big bucks to manage through that.
It more than just a numbers issue. There are a couple of wide loads out there we are courting that would have a real impact, totally change our ceiling as a team. Ross did not have a national championship without Kevin Battle.

With that said, none of us can make up their minds for them. No reason to change the subject on the other recruits, and what our young numbers at DT do is prevent us from being desperate to take whatever DT that will sign with us. I like our offensive linemen, but I think we would have had a better class if we had not had to sign so many OL in bulk.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Anybody know what our top DT targets are and if we are on anyone’s top list?

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Anybody know what our top DT targets are and if we are on anyone’s top list?
Jay Hardy, Nazir Stackhouse (UGA commit), Jayson Jones (Bama commit) and Reginald Perry are our top 4 I think. We'd take any 2 of the 4.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Tech's issue will be the total scholarship limit (85) with the shortage of seniors. The coaching staff must be expecting some attrition. That is really not surprising, as players will have one season within the new scheme to better understand whether their individual skill set is a fit.

The below link gives you some idea of our scholarship breakdown by class. There are not many seniors...and we expect a few of the injured ones to redshirt and play again next year.
https://247sports.com/college/georgia-tech/Season/2020-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
So we have 80 scholarship players currently with 9 seniors leaving and 2 seniors returning. That would imply double digit attrition. We already have one WR in the Transfer Portal.
We are overstocked at RB (no surprise), WR, DE and S. Hopefully one or more of the larger WR's can convert t0 TE. Oliver is now a WR and Lee will come back next year as a full time DT. Was the scholarship for Wesley Wells only for one year?

Last edited:

Architorture23

I don't know what they plan to do with him, but right now he is an end. Doesn;t really matter as he is pretty much a lock for UT.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Was the scholarship for Wesley Wells only for one year?
All scholarships are basically 1 year renewable contracts. But to answer your question, yes it is generally stated matter-of-factly to a walk-on that earns a scholarship that it is a one year deal and may be removed if the need arises or if on-the field production isn't met. You don't typically see a walk-on get a scholarship unless they end up playing a significant role or it is their senior season and 'ships are available. I think Wells' scholarship was basically a reward for his play last year. He seems to have lost some confidence or some other issues going on right now with his place kicking, so I would think it's not guaranteed that his scholarship is renewed next year.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
We are not turning away DTs in order to sign WRs or DBs or whatever. This is a giant red herring. The staff has DT targets and they know how many they need.

There just aren't as many DTs and they don't tend to commit as early because of their high demand.
I understand this. I’m just saying I’d rather take extra defensive lineman who may be projects now in high school than take more WR’s or DB’s. Brown and Sanders aren’t coming off the field for the next 3 years so all we need are 2-4 more WR’s. But we have a ton on the roster. Cut the extra WR’s loose and bring me defensive linemen even those not highly recruited. Kids at that age grow at different times. A skinny high school senior could be a stud by his sophomore season.

The good news is Collins knows how to manage the roster. We are going to see a ton of turnover this off season. A lot of our fans will whine about “running guys off” but they’ll be cheering when we start winning.