2020 Recruiting

agt45

Distinguished Gentleman
Are there any Arkansas or maybe even South Carolina commits we may be able to poach. Feeling here in Chucktown is that Coach Boom May be out after losing at home to App State and a 4 win season.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Are there any Arkansas or maybe even South Carolina commits we may be able to poach. Feeling here in Chucktown is that Coach Boom May be out after losing at home to App State and a 4 win season.
We just offered Makius Scott, current SC commit and teammate of Jordan Williams. Good chance of flipping him, I would guess.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
People are all triggered because we didn't instantly start signing 5 stars apparently...

Scott has offers from South Carolina, Louisville, Syracuse, Boston College and Wake Forest per his recruiting profile. I'd be happy to add him to our class in an area of need. I'm not sure how much of his weight is high quality, but he'd be one of our heavier DTs on day 1.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
People are all triggered because we didn't instantly start signing 5 stars apparently...

Scott has offers from South Carolina, Louisville, Syracuse, Boston College and Wake Forest per his recruiting profile. I'd be happy to add him to our class in an area of need. I'm not sure how much of his weight is high quality, but he'd be one of our heavier DTs on day 1.
Also reported an Oregon offer on Twitter recently. Honestly, he is a guy that we had our eye on since day 1, but I guess we wanted to evaluate his senior season before offering. Dunno that it means we are out of the running for the higher rated DT's. I think we probably could still land one of them. I think 2 DT's is the ideal.

gtrower

Dodd-Like

Nobody’s triggered. But DL has been an area we’ve struggled mightily to recruit well since ‘07. And we appear to be again this cycle. That’s something CGC needs to turn around asap. Not sure I trust Coleman to develop lower rated HS guys the same that I trust Key to coach up the OL recruits from this cycle.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Nobody’s triggered. But DL has been an area we’ve struggled mightily to recruit well since ‘07. And we appear to be again this cycle. That’s something CGC needs to turn around asap. Not sure I trust Coleman to develop lower rated HS guys the same that I trust Key to coach up the OL recruits from this cycle.
That would be Coach Knight (Coleman is DE/OLB Coach)...not that it is relevant to your point.

I really don't think Scott is a huge reach, though. This is a SC commit that by all accounts, they would like to keep. If we go 0'fer with Jones, Perry, and Stackhouse and end up with two 5.5's, maybe that's concerning. But Collins was able to snag Lockhart in February last year, so I'm not worried yet.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Knight is the DT guy. I would be shocked if he isn't a good recruiter. I bet he just needs time; I expect the other DTs were so highly rated they were already locked up for 2020.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
DTs typically have long relationships with recruiters because they are so important. Not very surprising to me that we are struggling a bit in year 1.

That said, we are already close on a lot of these guys. I'm not counting them all out yet. But our plan Bs look much better than they looked before.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Good call on the Knight correction, that’s my bad. I still think we can get away with recruiting lower profile guys with the desired “body types” on the OL with a guy with Key’s track record to develop them. Not as much with DLs.

Hopefully we don’t have to worry about it and CGC can land some studs, be them in the ‘21 class or transfer market.

BuzzFeitenSystem

It’s Raining BigCrys
I’m not worried about D-line future at all. CGC recruited Derrick Morgan here after all.. convinced number one player in Pennsylvania to come to GT

gthog61

Dodd-Like
Are there any Arkansas commits we may be able to poach.
I checked, they only have 10, nearest are a couple of guys from TN at positions where we are already doing as well or better

I thought they had more, maybe there are some decommits already

AmpuTECHture

Drain Lake Powell
That would be Coach Knight (Coleman is DE/OLB Coach)...not that it is relevant to your point.

I really don't think Scott is a huge reach, though. This is a SC commit that by all accounts, they would like to keep. If we go 0'fer with Jones, Perry, and Stackhouse and end up with two 5.5's, maybe that's concerning. But Collins was able to snag Lockhart in February last year, so I'm not worried yet.
From what I've seen, the 5.5 rating was based on his junoir year and hasn't been reevaluated yet. Likely more than a 5.5.

oldgold68

Bitter old man
Reports I've heard are more likely a re-negotiation of buy-out, length of contract or salary as opposed to getting rid of BMF this year.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
We just offered Makius Scott, current SC commit and teammate of Jordan Williams. Good chance of flipping him, I would guess.
I think he might be better than his rating. I'm not good at this stuff so who knows but he is also a basketball player so he moves very good for his size and it sounds like he started taking S&C serious this past year and put on some weight so I bet he can still add some between now and his 2nd season in college. He doesn't look fat at all to me. He plays very athletic for a big guy on the football field. Also, Muschamp knows defense so if he liked this guy, then that is a good thing.

SC has 2 other higher rated DT commits (would love to flip them but they are both from SC) and seem to have 8 DT on the current roster. I hope that being closer to home, a better chance to play and play early, and coming with a teammate give GT a chance.