2021 Recruiting

This kid is a baller. Holy Cow at our recruiting. To hell with the recruiting agencies - this is shaping up to be our best class since 1950.

Love your enthusiasm. But it’s not even shaping up to be our best class since 2020. By a decent margin. Or did i miss the sarcasm.

Love your enthusiasm. But it’s not even shaping up to be our best class since 2020. By a decent margin. Or did i miss the sarcasm.
No sarcasm. I actually thought this class was that good. Perhaps not.

No sarcasm. I actually thought this class was that good. Perhaps not.

It’s tough to say exactly how accurate rankings will be (relative to normal years) with the pandemic keeping players from camps. But we’re trending towards a 35-40th ranked class nationally and 6-8th in the ACC. You could argue our class is better than they’re rated due to recruiting services not having the time/data to “bump” our guys. But I imagine every other school has the same argument.

Comparing this year's class to last year's (from memory, I don't have the will to dig into it right now), it looks to me like the difference is lack of 4-stars so far. That said, I really like the middle of the class. Solid offer sheets and state and position ranks. Good quality. Not a lot of reaches or low 3-stars with thin offer sheets. I do see a few guys who should get bumps based on in-state ranking, unless this is just a down year for talent. More likely it is a down year for evaluation.

I think the staff has done a good job. As a team that is trying to build a brand rather than relying on reputation, we really need to get on the road and get kids on campus to show them the culture. I would still think we're going to have the best 2-year recruiting haul since...the O'Leary years?

There could be a lot of volatility this year, as well. Many players will open up their recruitment once campuses are open and visits can happen. We closed strong off a terrible season last year, so I'd expect us to do the same.

Stay juiced,@00Burdell !

Love your enthusiasm. But it’s not even shaping up to be our best class...By a decent margin.
36ch5x.gif

As has been mentioned multiple times... watch the tape and check the offer list. I'm not as concerned about the stars with it being such an odd year to evaluate players without all of the camps, etc. Our coaches want these players and I'm excited about all of our guys so far.

As has been mentioned multiple times... watch the tape and check the offer list. I'm not as concerned about the stars with it being such an odd year to evaluate players without all of the camps, etc. Our coaches want these players and I'm excited about all of our guys so far.
This is the recruiting cycle where programs that know how to evaluate talent will shine. Some recruiters are only good with people interactions and might rely on recruiting services too much.

Comparing this year's class to last year's (from memory, I don't have the will to dig into it right now), it looks to me like the difference is lack of 4-stars so far.
Right or wrong, I have always had the idea that our problem with recruiting was less the absence of four-stars and more the proliferation of two-stars (who were actually 2* and not under-rated 3*). We seem to have fixed that problem for this and last year's recruiting class which I find very encouraging.

People “in the know”, whatever that means, seem to be saying that we are getting guys who we have been targeting early. I’m not a recruiting guy anymore and can’t vouch for it, but if that’s true then I’m thrilled with a class full of 3-star guys that we really wanted from the beginning.

Also, check out our size and speed. We have had to scheme through getting pushed around and outrun for a long time on offense (and on defense, except without the scheme....). There is no question we will at least start to look like a top level program. Hopefully these guys play like one as well. I’m encouraged.

Collins has a 4* offer list despite being 3*. His tape probably matches up with that.

Blackstrain has earned his 4* in my eyes. Highest rated commit for a reason.

Blackburn maybe? Respectable offer sheet, but Miami is the only recruiting power on it. Passes the eye test for me though. Should be a high 3* rather than the mid rating he has now.

Biggers is low because he’s very raw. High ceiling though with his athleticism at his size. Projects at DT isn’t necessarily what we need right now, but i still like the commit. I just get why he’s rated low (and has very few offers).

To my eyes everybody other than Collins/Blackburn is rated properly. Based on film/offers. Who are you saying is low?

Last edited:
Not sure how accurate it is but the AJC article said that with this commitment, we are now rated #31 in the country and #9 in the ACC. Seems like everyone has upped their recruiting game. What is the formula for getting better if you are middle of the pack in recruiting in your own conference?

Not sure how accurate it is but the AJC article said that with this commitment, we are now rated #31 in the country and #9 in the ACC. Seems like everyone has upped their recruiting game. What is the formula for getting better if you are middle of the pack in recruiting in your own conference?
247 has us at 30 (9th in ACC). Rivals has us at 26 (8th in ACC.)

Clemson, North Carolina and Miami are clearly differentiated. There are several teams bunched up in the rankings with around 16 commits that are mostly 3 stars. A little early to worry about rankings. I expect more movement than normal in the fall since visits and most recruiting activities have not been possible this spring.

I don’t see the class matching last year’s ranking...but a lot of that has to do with expectations around numbers as much as anything. Quality should be similar.

Collins has a 4* offer list despite being 3*. His tape probably matches up with that.

Blackstrain has earned his 4* in my eyes. Highest rated commit for a reason.

Blackburn maybe? Respectable offer sheet, but Miami is the only recruiting power on it. Passes the eye test for me though. Should be a high 3* rather than the mid rating he has now.

Biggers is low because he’s very raw. High ceiling though with his athleticism at his size. Projects at DT isn’t necessarily what we need right now, but i still like the commit. I just get why he’s rated low (and has very few offers).

To my eyes everybody other than Collins/Blackburn is rated properly. Based on film/offers. Who are you saying is low?

Rutherford might end up a 4 star. I think Leftwich should be a high 3 (5.7) as well as Peery.

Rutherford might end up a 4 star. I think Leftwich should be a high 3 (5.7) as well as Peery.

I’d argue the opposite for Leftwich. He’s local, has good size, and I trust Key to mold him. But I’d say his rating is generous currently. Admittedly I don’t know much about OL technique scouting so maybe he is ahead of the curve there. But looking at movement/athleticism I wasn’t wowed by his film.

I’m in a similar boat on Peery. His interviews are very encouraging. Looks like he has a decent arm. But doesn’t look overly mobile for a guy his size. I think the services have him about right. I’m significantly more excited about Sims from the last class.

Back