2021 Recruiting

I'd be surprised if we don't clear 20. Just feels like the new normal will be 20+ per year no matter what. The numbers seems to work out...plus there are options like gray shirting, etc.
I think that will definitely be the normal... not sure how COVID might affect transfers this year.

I think that will definitely be the normal... not sure how COVID might affect transfers this year.

Transfers in terms of in/out or both? Hadn’t thought about that in terms of transfers in - maybe some GA kids would rather move closer to home during all this? Probably wouldn’t be a driving factor, but maybe be the deciding factor of somebody who’s already thinking about it?

Transfers in terms of in/out or both? Hadn’t thought about that in terms of transfers in - maybe some GA kids would rather move closer to home during all this? Probably wouldn’t be a driving factor, but maybe be the deciding factor of somebody who’s already thinking about it?
I'm more talking about transfers out. We need guys to leave to open up spots. With COVID, I wonder if there are fewer guys willing to give up their spot for possible playing time at another, assumedly lower tier school. We can't force kids out, only let them know they will not be playing and hope they choose that route, or do something with a medical.

I'm more talking about transfers out. We need guys to leave to open up spots. With COVID, I wonder if there are fewer guys willing to give up their spot for possible playing time at another, assumedly lower tier school. We can't force kids out, only let them know they will not be playing and hope they choose that route, or do something with a medical.

We just need doctors to find some medical issues and not clear some kids to play. What would Bama do?

purposefully inject the scrubs with covid?

200.gif

We can start another thread but not sure what you mean by processing. We cannot take a scholarship away from a player if he doesn’t agree. There are ways to move them off the team but scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years with some exceptions.
That means we are not obligated to retain the red-shirt juniors after this season? Can we cover any necessary tuition for graduation without having them count against the 85 limit next season?

I swear I saw a different number, but you are correct. My bad.

You were right - very recently that 5 star RB that was flirting with uga for a while finally signed with TCU so it bumped them up to 26 and us down to 27

Actually, the coach can cut any player they want, but must notify the player by June 1st. Coaches don’t do it because it would be an admission of poor recruiting and any other potential 5* players would hear if it they the competing coaches.

At least those were the rules about 2012.

Actually, the coach can cut any player they want, but must notify the player by June 1st. Coaches don’t do it because it would be an admission of poor recruiting and any other potential 5* players would hear if it they the competing coaches.

At least those were the rules about 2012.
If by cut you mean take their scholarship that’s not true. There is some kind of rule for new coaches where they can remove a player from the team, keep them on scholarship and not have it count against the 85. Not sure how many you can have of for how long, but you CANNOT take someone’s scholarship for performance issues.

If by cut you mean take their scholarship that’s not true. There is some kind of rule for new coaches where they can remove a player from the team, keep them on scholarship and not have it count against the 85. Not sure how many you can have of for how long, but you CANNOT take someone’s scholarship for performance issues.
Yes, the rule is only for new head coaches and I don't know how long they have to use the rule, but it applies to anyone on the roster that he inherited. A new coach can tell a player (even a player with a 4 year guaranteed scholarship) that they will no longer be on the team or the team roster but they will be allowed to keep their scholarship if they wish to finish their degree at the school. Most will transfer if they feel they can earn playing time or a scholarship spot on another team, while some that are closer to graduation will accept this offer and continue on scholarship but no longer as a part of the team.

Yes, the rule is only for new head coaches and I don't know how long they have to use the rule, but it applies to anyone on the roster that he inherited. A new coach can tell a player (even a player with a 4 year guaranteed scholarship) that they will no longer be on the team or the team roster but they will be allowed to keep their scholarship if they wish to finish their degree at the school. Most will transfer if they feel they can earn playing time or a scholarship spot on another team, while some that are closer to graduation will accept this offer and continue on scholarship but no longer as a part of the team.

Thanks for explaining, this is the first time I’ve seen someone spell it out.

Thanks for explaining, this is the first time I’ve seen someone spell it out.
Ah...
Ah! .... new rules for 4 year ships.

Thanks for the insight.

Back