2021 Recruiting

I have friends that played for Saban and were processed. They could have easily transferred if they wanted to. They were able to keep their full scholly. One didn’t have to do anything, another had to put in 10 hrs a week breaking down film.
If that’s what we’re doing, I’m fine with it. I’m pretty much ok with processing so long as the SA can exchange extra-curricular labor to keep their expensive school paid for.

This is what always gets me. People act like they *know* that what Saban does is just so nefarious, but yet we never have former players coming out of the woodwork to say they got screwed over.

This is what always gets me. People act like they *know* that what Saban does is just so nefarious, but yet we never have former players coming out of the woodwork to say they got screwed over.

We can take this to another thread or PMs to not derail this recruiting thread. But absolutely those stories are out there.

I’m sure there are all types of situations. I don’t doubt that some players feel like they’re owed something or might even be owed something because they were screwed out of paying for school.

We have a really nice core of GT coaches, we will see, I could see Brent Key getting a job elsewhere.

Only 2 ways a coach leaves.

- if they don't cut it for GT
- or if they do such a good job they get a better gig.

If they get a better gig CGC can say " you come work for me in the 404 - the sky is the limit in your career."

Saban and smart don't worry about losing coaches.

Up to us to make the job attractive and keep an updated list.
Restock

How anybody can listen to CGC say he’s “implementing an Alabama system,” watch the amount of CPJ holdovers leave, see that we’ve been oversigning, and still convince themselves that we’re not processing anybody is beyond me.

We can discuss the morality vs winning trade-off if you want. I don’t think we’re doing it to the level of a lot of these teams yet. And I’ll admit my disdain for Saban’s practices would probably start to fade with enough wins. But to claim it’s not happening is naive.

Just not true.

Not sure if you’re talking about gameday coaching or talent development, but if talent development I feel pretty confident in this staff’s abilities. Raw talent coming out of high school and the final talent on the field are two different things. There were backs in the ACC last year who had more raw talent than Mason, but a combination of Coach Choice and Coach Lew (along with hard work) made him arguably the most proficient back in the league. My guess is that FSU and Miami will get higher ranked classes most years, but get a couple more of these classes and we’ll have more talent on gameday. Should be fun.

In addition to our RBs coaches, our OL coach does a phenomenal job of explaining to the RBs the perspectives of the OL and the hows/whys of how to run behind the blocking schemes. Sounds trivial, but it’s a key piece in my mind that everyone is on the same page. RBs’ steps should look, if not completely mimic, like the OLs steps.

Not sure if you’re talking about gameday coaching or talent development, but if talent development I feel pretty confident in this staff’s abilities. Raw talent coming out of high school and the final talent on the field are two different things. There were backs in the ACC last year who had more raw talent than Mason, but a combination of Coach Choice and Coach Lew (along with hard work) made him arguably the most proficient back in the league. My guess is that FSU and Miami will get higher ranked classes most years, but get a couple more of these classes and we’ll have more talent on gameday. Should be fun.
I'm going to do the most un-stingtalk thing ever. You made a really good point that I hadn't considered strongly enough. I agree with you.

In addition to our RBs coaches, our OL coach does a phenomenal job of explaining to the RBs the perspectives of the OL and the hows/whys of how to run behind the blocking schemes. Sounds trivial, but it’s a key piece in my mind that everyone is on the same page. RBs’ steps should look, if not completely mimic, like the OLs steps.

Sounds obvious, was this not happening before?

Why won’t numbers be there? I count 19 seniors and 3 juniors with a good chance of leaving early (Thomas, swilling, Mason). That’s 22 and with just 5 attrition you are at 27 (+/- a few). Either way, no reason this isn’t a full class.

I thought we had fewer seniors than that. But I also thought we are currently at 89 or 90 scholarship players in the pre-season, so we need something like 5 attrition just to make weight on the season.

I thought we had fewer seniors than that. But I also thought we are currently at 89 or 90 scholarship players in the pre-season, so we need something like 5 attrition just to make weight on the season.
17 seniors. And we are 4 over right now. So with no more attrition we'd have room for 13.

I'm guessing we'll take 18-20.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if we don't clear 20. Just feels like the new normal will be 20+ per year no matter what. The numbers seems to work out...plus there are options like gray shirting, etc.

How anybody can listen to CGC say he’s “implementing an Alabama system,” watch the amount of CPJ holdovers leave, see that we’ve been oversigning, and still convince themselves that we’re not processing anybody is beyond me.

We can discuss the morality vs winning trade-off if you want. I don’t think we’re doing it to the level of a lot of these teams yet. And I’ll admit my disdain for Saban’s practices would probably start to fade with enough wins. But to claim it’s not happening is naive.
We can start another thread but not sure what you mean by processing. We cannot take a scholarship away from a player if he doesn’t agree. There are ways to move them off the team but scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years with some exceptions.

Sounds obvious, was this not happening before?

Different principles, so it may legitimately not have been happening before. I'm sure the option runners were told up front what they would be expected to do during a run.

It is relevant now, and I am glad it is happening. It shows respect for the kid trying to make his decision... to inform him rather than just blowing smoke up him.

Also, and I was going to post this anyway... if you want to land good runners and passers, get some signings and commits for the offensive line. For example, I think Gibbs was at least partially swayed by all the beef he knew would be in front of him at Georgia Tech.

Back