2021 Recruiting

Yeah but a ton of teams ahead of us have 17 or less commits so not sure I'm sold on that explanation as an excuse. Penn State and Washington only have 15. It's not just a numbers issue. The quality matters. .

We were actually in the 20's at one point on Rivals and then started tanking after we had a bunch of decommits. Or maybe other teams just had late commits that caused them to surge ahead of us.

Who were our decommits and what were their rankings?

I’ve heard from a high school coach who told me the reason 247 has such a drastic difference of opinion on our recruits is the fact they are big on the info they gather from their camps and since that wasn’t an option this season it hurt a lot of our commits.
Take Edwards and Blackburn as an example.
Had multiple coaches tell me they are without a doubt top 300 players/ 4* yet 247 doesn’t have them anywhere close.
I’m gonna trust what the high school coaches of opposing teams say and film more then some of the “experts” at recruiting sites.
Look at Gibbs last season.
If he doesn’t go to the camps before his senior year he doesn’t blow up as much as he did at the end of the season cause you wouldn’t have the measurable’s like 40 time/ shuttle/ etc

he was a 3* mid prospect until the combo of camps/Senior Film blew his ranking close to a 5*.

Blackburn wasn’t a focal point like he is now last season.
Adding in the transfers we have a top 25 class imo and imo next season will be top 15 as long as we have a decent season and show improvement.
We are really in good shape with a lot of top 25 kids in Ga for the 21’ class.
We pull the QB Morris then things start rolling and it could turn into another JD/Nesbit/Burnett/Morgan type class
Let’s all hope that happens

It would be adding 2 1-year guys to the rotation. I'd rather the younger guys play back-up snaps and gain more experience and time in the weight room than to have to rely on them for full time snaps. Given the W/L results of the first two years, I think CGC knows he has to make progress in year 3. I think he is going about it in a very measured way. Most of the transfers in have been multiple year guys and he is still in 'building mode,' but isn't unwilling to add top end talent like the DE from ODU (name?) and Cochran to help us win immediately while the young guys continue to develop.
I think the young team will be helped immensely by experience at DT and DE and especially OT.

Young players need examples to follow and proof of concept. We don't want to get too young.

You want young linebackers to improve? Have an experienced DL that will make their jobs easier and build their confidence. You want young defensive backs to improve? Improve your pass rush so the qb has less time and the db's can make more plays. You want young DL to improve? Have some top players in their position group room that can teach them and allow them to work in rotation.

I am thinking our OL will be Cochran Sr - ?????(R-Fr or So) - Cooper Sr - Johnson Sr - Williams So. You really do not want to be much younger than having three upperclassmen. Can't wait to see who steps up at guard. Could be Pendley.

Last edited:
Trying to prove a point at how great a recruiter Collins is with this class is a stretch that requires us to buy your opinion above that of the experts.

Who is saying that? I must have missed it.

This is a great class because it pretty much fills what we need with the limited amount of space. That's not stretching at all. We picked up some guys that might be able to start right away (not the transfers) and some projects that can turn into big time players. Our class size was limited because we are picking up the transfers.

How do you not understand that the transfers take up spaces? If we had 5 more spaces our ratings would be higher.

Franklin, Tatum, Blackburn are very legit players and they should be rated higher. Yes, the experts were wrong on them.

I think the young team will be helped immensely by experience at DT and DE and especially OT.

Young players need examples to follow and proof of concept. We don't want to get too young.

You want young linebackers to improve? Have an experienced DL that will make their jobs easier and build their confidence. You want young defensive backs to improve? Improve your pass rush so the qb has less time and the db's can make more plays. You want young DL to improve? Have some top players in their position group room that can teach them and allow them to work in rotation.

I am thinking our OL will be Cochran Sr - ?????(R-Fr or So) - Cooper Sr - Johnson Sr - Williams So. You really do not want to be much younger than having three upperclassmen. Can't wait to see who steps up at guard. Could be Pendley.

Cochran, Pendley, Cooper (Vaipulu will push him big time and might start out the gate), Hoss, Jordan.

Supposedly “mutual.” And he’s likely heading to WKU. Which makes me think he wasn’t qualifying. Because his film is too good to not end up P5.

Bummer either way. Really liked his athleticism at TE.
Weird. He has a Kentucky offer too, can't imagine their academic standards are that high.

Word is he is a real country boy and decided he doesn’t want a big school or city.
That's believable. I can't decide whether that's a good reason for not choosing a school. As a college football player you're probably going to spend most of your time doing football or school stuff, and not hanging around the city big or small, so how much does it really matter. If you don't want to go to school for something technology related either I suppose it could feel like the wrong place.

Back