2021 Recruiting

Looks like we lost River Helms. He is now on the Rivals de-commit page.

Looks like we lost River Helms. He is now on the Rivals de-commit page.

Supposedly “mutual.” And he’s likely heading to WKU. Which makes me think he wasn’t qualifying. Because his film is too good to not end up P5.

Bummer either way. Really liked his athleticism at TE.

Supposedly “mutual.” And he’s likely heading to WKU. Which makes me think he wasn’t qualifying. Because his film is too good to not end up P5.

not an academic issue. he never got to visit GT and wasn't sure he was going to like having to wear 404 clothes...

If WKU is the best option for him as an individual I wish him well.

If he can and does change his mind, maybe we see him in a year.

1st Team all AAC DT last season. Don’t know if KQ is thinking out loud or knows something. But if we took him were essentially renting an entire DL for next year (with Scott/Harris having a few more years after that).

It would be adding 2 1-year guys to the rotation. I'd rather the younger guys play back-up snaps and gain more experience and time in the weight room than to have to rely on them for full time snaps. Given the W/L results of the first two years, I think CGC knows he has to make progress in year 3. I think he is going about it in a very measured way. Most of the transfers in have been multiple year guys and he is still in 'building mode,' but isn't unwilling to add top end talent like the DE from ODU (name?) and Cochran to help us win immediately while the young guys continue to develop.

According to Rivals, GT is ranked 43. Vandy 29?

The reduced ranking is a numbers issue. Rivals includes 'points' for the top 20 recruits a team has. We only have 17 so we are at a disadvantage.

Our average per recruit 'points' is 1305/17 or 77. Add 3 recruits of the class average quality and we end up with 1535 points. That would place us in 25th place which is more reflective of the classes quality.

That is why some teams like BC, UVA, Wake are ranked ahead of us despite our class being "better."

The reduced ranking is a numbers issue. Rivals includes 'points' for the top 20 recruits a team has. We only have 17 so we are at a disadvantage.

Our average per recruit 'points' is 1305/17 or 77. Add 3 recruits of the class average quality and we end up with 1535 points. That would place us in 25th place which is more reflective of the classes quality.

That is why some teams like BC, UVA, Wake are ranked ahead of us despite our class being "better."
Smaller class penalty

Yes, if you can pull it off without driving them to the portal.
It could be an option for some of the OL we signed. We didn’t play many guys past the starters except for Cooper and Lay and a little Charlie Clark.

and it’s still undetermined who if anyone we lose from this years starting lineup with the whole “Free year” thing.

Yeah but a ton of teams ahead of us have 17 or less commits so not sure I'm sold on that explanation as an excuse. Penn State and Washington only have 15. It's not just a numbers issue. The quality matters. .

We were actually in the 20's at one point on Rivals and then started tanking after we had a bunch of decommits. Or maybe other teams just had late commits that caused them to surge ahead of us.

No need to spin today to fit your chosen narrative. Trying to prove a point at how great a recruiter Collins is with this class is a stretch that requires us to buy your opinion above that of the experts. Trying to trash Collins because this class is ranked somewhere between 6th and 11th in the conference is equally disingenuous. Frankly, I am just ready to win more than three games, have a winning season, and go to a bowl game. It is Collins' job to find some sort of combination of recruiting, motivation, player development, scheming and in-game adjustments to make that happen. I wish him the very best in getting us to that place in the next two years and then keeping us at that level and more and certainly I welcome all of the signees and hope they have great careers.

Back