2021 Recruiting

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
A DT maybe. We need more muscled depth inside. Another DE... we have Harris, White, Clayton, Ryans, Ivey, Kennard, Yondjouen and three signees. All of those but one have 2 seasons or more left. Most of them have 3 seasons or more left. I don't see us further overstocking that room for a single year of eligibility unless one of that bunch is departing.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Bryant seems to be the most likely possibility. If we have room, more and better is great. It would be nice to be able to rotate the defensive line and maintain fresh pressure.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
We don't need another DE. And we just turned an early enrollee away because of transfers. I think we're after an OL and that's probably it.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
We don't need another DE. And we just turned an early enrollee away because of transfers. I think we're after an OL and that's probably it.
Do we open up more than one slot in May? I am surprised that OL would rank before K and DT since Johnson is returning and Cochran and Pendley are coming in.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Why can't transfers just enter in the fall? Especially if they have 2+ years to play.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
They are big enough talents that I can't imagine passing on them if they can be convinced to come. I could see them having a much bigger impact than any portal transfer we've gotten thus far.
Much bigger impact than Cochran or Pendley?

I might agree with bigger, but those guys above will have giant impacts on this team.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Why can't transfers just enter in the fall? Especially if they have 2+ years to play.
I believe once they enter the transfer portal and essentially become no longer part of the team they are currently on, they cannot remain at that school on scholarship unless they are still on the team. I don't think they can take a semester off without hurting GPA or academic progress so their options are:

A) pay for their own school for spring
B) join new team/school by spring to be on scholarship at that school
C) do not enter portal/transfer until during/after spring semester starts to transfer the next summer/fall

Architorture23

If they want to be in school then they'd have to pay for it themselves. And I don't think we'd want them just sitting around from now until late summer.

There will be another flurry of transfer activity after spring practice when depth charts start to take shape and people get a full understanding of their likely PT.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Much bigger impact than Cochran or Pendley?

I might agree with bigger, but those guys above will have giant impacts on this team.
Still think Cochran not enrolling last year cost us 1-2 wins. Flip could be he adds a win in 2021. Assuming he lives up to the billing (NFL draft prospect LT). Our OL across the board graded out terribly in 2020. Adding a competent LT was arguably the single most impactful thing we could do for 2021.

Architorture23

speaking of pre-spring practice transfers... Emmanuel Johnson.

I got the sense they were trying to grow him into a tackle and he might not have liked it. He was a very raw SDE prospect.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
speaking of pre-spring practice transfers... Emmanuel Johnson.

I got the sense they were trying to grow him into a tackle and he might not have liked it. He was a very raw SDE prospect.
Wasnt that literally the plan all along tho? Thought it was common knowledge as soon as he committed that he was a DT project.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
Still think Cochran not enrolling last year cost us 1-2 wins. Flip could be he adds a win in 2021. Assuming he lives up to the billing (NFL draft prospect LT). Our OL across the board graded out terribly in 2020. Adding a competent LT was arguably the single most impactful thing we could do for 2021.
Agreed.

It's not hyperbole to say "he could end up the best tackle in the ACC/country." I believe it, but there are more important people that also believe it.

GCdaJuiceMan

Flats Noob
Yes. It was also well known that he was a project coming out of HS. Was weird that his family did that publicly. Not sure where he may end up with very little film out there.
Hope Emmanuel figures out what is right for him. Wish him the best.