2021 Spring Game Friday 4/23

@ibeeballin if you get a chance to look at the spring game or highlights would you tell us your thoughts? Maybe even start a spring game reaction thread.

Last edited:
Hard to tell much but I thought the SR transfers 2, 10, and 77 looked the part and will be major contributors this season. Nice additions.

Other takeaways:
  • Sims looks confident
  • BJS is finally in shape
  • Boyd looks like Camp
  • Paula was with the first team OL starting at LG over Cooper
  • Billy Ward looks lke he may contribute
  • Peery needs to get in better shape; but I expect him to be the #2 by season's end
  • Cant make any D assessments without tackling

Hard to tell much but I thought the SR transfers 2, 10, and 77 looked the part and will be major contributors this season. Nice additions.

Other takeaways:
  • Sims looks confident
  • Boyd looks like Camp
  • Peery needs to get in better shape; but I expect him to be the #2 by season's end
TE's made some plays.

Mcgowan and Mccollum both looked really good and will keep defenses on their toes.

We seem to have a lot of speed.

Dontae Smith on sidelines in no pads, but jersey. Dinged up.

Other takeaways:
  • Sims looks confident
  • Boyd looks like Camp
We need a center who can snap the ball to the hands instead of the ankles, knees, over the head, and to the side.

We need a center who can snap the ball to the hands instead of the ankles, knees, over the head, and to the side.
Yep, several of our read option plays and straight up runs had the timing of the play severely disrupted, while our QB tried to acquire the ball, giving the defense an advantage.

Not sure on this no tackling thing. Northern Illinois is not like some FCS warm-up game. Football is not dodgeball, you don't win by surviving til the end.
Northern Illinois didn't win a game last season and gave up a öööö ton of points doing it.

Other takeaways:
Agree, except for Peery. He is literally a high school kid and looked great. Now if you want to physically compare him to Sims then that’s a comparison he’ll never win. It’s called genetics. But, his arm and mind is why he is here. But physically he looks fine to me.

Agree, except for Peery. He is literally a high school kid and looked great. Now if you want to physically compare him to Sims then that’s a comparison he’ll never win. It’s called genetics. But, his arm and mind is why he is here. But physically he looks fine to me.

Just an observation, physically he’s a little pudgy in the gut without much muscle in the arms. Not that surprising given he could still be in HS.

Yea I think he’ll be good. Even better when he gets in tip top shape. I have no doubt our staff will help him get there.

Just an observation, physically he’s a little pudgy in the gut without much muscle in the arms. Not that surprising given he could still be in HS.

Yea I think he’ll be good. Even better when he gets in tip top shape. I have no doubt our staff will help him get there.
It’s going to be a long summer of S&C for him. I’ve been very pleased with what our coaches have been able to do on that front though.

@ibeeballin if you get a chance to look at the spring game or highlights would you tell us your thoughts? Maybe even start a spring game reaction thread.

Take the spring game with a giant grain of salt. Playbook was severely limited. Not a full go practice.

Eley looks good to great.
OL and DL look stout. 2nd string OL needs some work.
Sims looks improved but still has a ways to go to be a great player.
We have some speed on offense now.
Peery throws a nice ball. Got rid of the ball and made some highIQ level throws, just didn't accurately place them, but I don't find him inaccurate.

We saw a lot of BJS, but I don't think we will see him at all during the season.

TE's made some plays.

Mcgowan and Mccollum both looked really good and will keep defenses on their toes.

We seem to have a lot of speed.

Dontae Smith on sidelines in no pads, but jersey. Dinged up.

I think our TEs did average. Didn't think they blocked well.

I'll watch the replay. Could not focus
Just an observation, physically [Peery is] a little pudgy in the gut without much muscle in the arms. Not that surprising given he could still be in HS.

Agree 100% - exactly my observation. Peery has serious upside. A heave dose of Caralla will allow him to achieve it.

Back