2021 Spring Game Friday 4/23

Where is the bad ass pass rusher from ODU or wherever?
Not sure if anyone answered your question but I don't think he's here yet - or that he just walked in the door so not appropriate to participate in the Spring Exhibition (I think exhibition is a more accurate term than game - which is ok).

Sims looked good. Peery is going to challenge for No. 2. He will make Yates better.
I like Yates - kid is a baller. I would have no problem seeing him under center in certain situations. In some ways, he reminds me of Tevin Washington - way better than he ever got credit for.

One last note regarding Peery, QB’s generally aren’t physical freaks. Sure, you have a few body types of low body fat athletic freaks like Lamar, Vick, Murray, and Mahomes, but most QB’s are just dudes who can sling it and make the right decision. Brady, Ryan, Trevor, Mannings, Rivers, Leftwich, Big Ben, McCarron, etc. I’m sure Peery will put in the weight room work but he’ll never look like a freak simply due to genetics. Look at the Goose. Not one of us thought he’d play like he did after Joe. I still remember sitting in shock looking at my TV thinking how did THAT guy just do this. The Goose taught me the QB position is won or lost between the ears.

My first observation from the film was “Peery is better than Sims”.

just thinking out loud here, folks

Peery has a ton of upside, but I don’t think he’s better than Sims at this point. That said, for the first time since I can remember I won’t hold my breath when the backup QB comes in. Competition breeds improvement, and I’m excited to see how these two develop over the next few years.

Peery also took .5-1 full second longer to release the ball. If he had infinite time maybe you’re correct but I think sims has a more realistic release speed for college ball right now.
His release was extremely fast. Maybe I need to go back and look. Honestly didn’t even watch the whole thing.

The biggest issue I had on the spring game was the camera missing the long Sims run

That wasn’t my assessment at all. Since the defense wasn’t allowed to hit him, he threw pretty well, but in contact situation he would’ve taken a number of shots.

Agree, except for Peery. He is literally a high school kid and looked great. Now if you want to physically compare him to Sims then that’s a comparison he’ll never win. It’s called genetics. But, his arm and mind is why he is here. But physically he looks fine to me.

Jimmy the Greek, is that you??

No, but Peery can lift all the weights he wants and he’ll never look like Arnold. Just like I’ll never be 6’6” even if I pull a Bobby Brady for 3 years.

Sims looked good. The key for him to take the next step is learning the type of ball to throw. He throws a lot of darts which is definitely needed in the short and intermediate game. But as our WR’s turn from 3 to 4 stars, adding loft on the longer throws will be key to letting the WR’s use their speed. Peery puts nice touch on the deep balls and gave the WR’s a chance to make a play on the ball. Once Sims gets that feel on the deep balls he’ll be a beast. But Sims looked real quick on the short/medium passes and his legs are why he’s the starter.

No, but Peery can lift all the weights he wants and he’ll never look like Arnold. Just like I’ll never be 6’6” even if I pull a Bobby Brady for 3 years.

Sims looked good. The key for him to take the next step is learning the type of ball to throw. He throws a lot of darts which is definitely needed in the short and intermediate game. But as our WR’s turn from 3 to 4 stars, adding loft on the longer throws will be key to letting the WR’s use their speed. Peery puts nice touch on the deep balls and gave the WR’s a chance to make a play on the ball. Once Sims gets that feel on the deep balls he’ll be a beast. But Sims looked real quick on the short/medium passes and his legs are why he’s the starter.
Peery has time to develop barring an injury. Hopefully he can get some game experience this season but use his red-shirt. I expect he will have competition coming in each year.

Given Peery did not play a senior season in HS, it's nice to see the excitement around him. Since his family moved out here, hopefully he will stick around and develop.

Given Peery did not play a senior season in HS, it's nice to see the excitement around him. Since his family moved out here, hopefully he will stick around and develop.
I have had a good vibe about that kid since we signed him. I just have a sense that he's a winner. He just has that "it".

Back